Adrian Moyle

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Land based rod
July 15, 2013, 11:56:36 PM
What would you guys suggest as a GT stickbait rod for land based fishing off the stones. I have been heading to Dirk Hartog Island in WA for a while now on a annual trip. The GT's on the island range around the 8-10kg range with odd 15kg+ fish, so nothing massive in comparison to what some of you guys chase. I have found a few spots on the island that hold fish regularly but stopping them heading under the cliff edge is a mission, even the 8-10kg fish dust you up more times than not.

I am thinking something around 9'6 that can fish PE4-6 range. Poppers from the cliffs don't really mix (cliffs range from 4 to 10m) so I will mainly be casting stickbaits. Any suggestions? Would be great to also use it as a back up when the big spaniards role in, so it would have to comfortably cast 100g metals. $800 max budget

Doug Terry

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Re: Land based rod
July 16, 2013, 04:35:32 PM
Take a look at the Daiwa- Tournament -Global it might be just what you are looking for.here is a writup on the rod.

http://totalseamagazine.com/testing-times-rods/item/238-daiwa-tournament-global-travel-rod.

Don't know if it available in OZ but try http://www.alderneyangling.com/index.php?route=information

Anton Haakman

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 08, 2013, 04:54:43 AM
Composite Developments Graphcast 5. I use them for yellowtail kings. Specs fit your brief perfectly.

Ian Cook

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 08, 2013, 07:03:41 AM
Hi Adrian,

Have a look at the Storm Rider Banba Special SRR-94HRDC or SRR-910HRDC.

http://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/default.php.

Might just fit the bill nicely.

Cheers,

Ian

Rick Smith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 08, 2013, 09:31:57 AM
I would go with the Zenaq duro muthos.

Mark Engelbrecht

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 12, 2013, 11:41:16 PM
I have been looking at a shore based rod for other game fish for some time, actually spoken to Anton a few times and the Graphcasts come up time and again.

I know there in a black hole 10'6 (I know you said 9'6) however looks very interesting to me - there is a H and a L blank - may be an option?

Cheers

Peter Morris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 13, 2013, 06:39:23 PM
Adrian I have the Zenaq 9'6 Defi Muthos and it is a beautiful land based stick.
I have actually been contemplating selling this rod as I am simply not getting the use from it, it deserves.
It is in mint condition. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

Pete

Joseph Ngan

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 13, 2013, 07:20:46 PM
Adrian, have a look at the MC Works raging bull series. An XR or XF 1 or 2 will suit what you are after.
Alternatively Yamaga Blanks make a Blue Sniper Shore jigging series too.

Both brands mentioned are light in physical weight so are good for casting all day.

I would have said CD Graphcast a while ago but production lines have changed since then. Another rod worth looking at is the black devil 100.

Sydney Neal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 14, 2013, 01:33:28 PM
Out of the raging bull XR1-100 and the Yamaga shore sniper 100H I prefer the Yamaga as it can cast heavier lures with more confidence. Cast ocea pencils 180 size no probs and belts out metals with ease, and can work small cuped face poppers such as halcos and cultivas Yamamoto

Anton Haakman

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 17, 2013, 06:08:49 PM
I own most of the rods mentioned here including the following. Yamaga Blue Sniper 100h, MC Works RB100XR2, Ocean Revolution Black Devil 100, Blackhole 10'6 light and of course Graphcast 5. I fish for yellowtail kings off of ledges a bunch. The size of the fish is very similar to the Geets you will be getting in WA. The first rod that I take is the Graphcast 5. Mine are the midnight blue coloured older generation blanks and these are by far the most robust of the rods mentioned here. We have to climb down cliffs to reach our spots and most fish to 8kg are not gaffed but merely lifted 3-4m from the water. None of the other rods mentioned would have a chance to do this.

That said I landed a cob (mulloway) of 64.5kg on my Blue Sniper. This was off of the beach so the fight was quite different. My Yamaga is now primarily a beach rod for throwing spoons for cob. It is the best casting of all the rods. Black Devil is a very forgiving rod but due to its length is not the best casting. The MC Works does not see much action. Not because it is not a great rod but because it is my pride and joy and is used when I go on trips.

Another rod to add to this mix would be the 10ft Ripplefisher.

Good luck
Anton

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 18, 2013, 12:42:46 PM
Anton, that's a really good report on some of the major LB options.

I am a fan of the Blue Snipers and already have a 77/3 for light boat casting.  have been considering Blue Sniper 102M for my own beach work. I would run it with PE3, lures in the 30-70 gram range.  Do you know anything about this rod?  I realise it will be a much softer rod than the 100H.

On the 100H do you think it would handle lures in the 30-70 range or would that be too light for it?  The lure max rating of 130 gram scares me a bit!

Anton Haakman

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 18, 2013, 06:56:02 PM
Hello Mark

This may sound a little odd but I fish my 100h differently to what most would think of such a rod. I fish it with either my Stella or Sustain 5000 using 30lbs on the Stella and 20lbs on the Sustain. Both braids are JB solid so break above their stated strengths. I only throw lures from 50 to 80g with the rod. The lighter the lure the longer the line I leave from the rod tip to the lure when casting.

My reasoning for the above is that distance is a big factor when throwing metals in the surf for mulloway. Casts of 120m are often the norm. The firmer rod really allows me to punch the lures a long way, particularly if there is a little onshore wind. I find the firmer rod delivers the metal for better than a softer rod where the lure has a tendency to flare a little more. The smaller arbor reel means that the loops coming off of the spool are smaller meaning less resistance through the guides.

Many of the fish we catch are in the 5-8kg range. The rod has enough of an action that these fish still put a good bend in it even though I would be unlikely to be fishing more than 2 or 3kg of drag.

As you can see I am fishing well below the stated capabilities of the rod. I find that the heaviest part of most set ups is the reel so by keeping this light I am able to fish for longer periods. Sometimes 300+ casts a day.

Hope that this helps.
Regards
Anton

Mark Engelbrecht

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 18, 2013, 08:00:43 PM
Great post Anton, your rod rack sounds like a shore spinner's treasure chest.

I recently bought a Yamaga Blue Sniper 103 M/Ti - great build quality, really light, I cant profess to know nearly enough about rods for people to rely on the info when purchasing but I did find that a 45g spoon seemed to be slightly too light to get optimal distance (still get 100m odd though). perhaps 60 or 70 gram spoons will get even further, really like this rod and think it will suit GT's in the sub 10kg range really well.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 18, 2013, 08:37:27 PM
Anton, many thanks and understood perfectly :)

It sounds like you have worked out a slightly left of centre way of using the rod that really suits your fishing environment- well done with that!

Thanks again.

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 18, 2013, 08:59:24 PM
I am building a Synit PE3 and PE6 Razar for S Oman for boat based fishing and will give it a whirl shore based - both are 8'3" with slightly longer than average handle to get more leverage casting.

Have you looked at the Century Stealth's the yanks use for Stripers? Or even catfish rods with 4 and 5lb test curves designed for hauling 100kg+ uglies with fixed spools?