Gerhard Delport

• Fusilier
  • Spinaholic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Land based rod
July 13, 2014, 12:15:18 AM
The 106L is used for Queenfish and Spanish Macks from the rocks here in the Persian Gulf...

The 106H will be used for GT and other big game fish from the rocks around the world.

Nathan Tsao

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
July 13, 2014, 05:27:06 AM
Aloha Gerhard,
If you are looking for a land based GT rod, I might suggest trying to find something heavier than the 106N. I've built a couple of these rods, and they are just super noodley for GT fishing. United Composites is back up and running; their UC 100XH and 100XXH are tremendously more powerful than the 106N.
I only suggest this because I know a bunch of guys who have bought the 106N, and have been really disappointed with how light and soft the action was.
Best wishes on the shoreline GT hunting!!!
Aloha

Gerhard Delport

• Fusilier
  • Spinaholic
  • Liked:
July 13, 2014, 01:34:41 PM
Aloha Gerhard,
If you are looking for a land based GT rod, I might suggest trying to find something heavier than the 106N. I've built a couple of these rods, and they are just super noodley for GT fishing. United Composites is back up and running; their UC 100XH and 100XXH are tremendously more powerful than the 106N.
I only suggest this because I know a bunch of guys who have bought the 106N, and have been really disappointed with how light and soft the action was.
Best wishes on the shoreline GT hunting!!!
Aloha

Cheers Thanks Nathan,

Did you build the rods on the 106L or 106H Nano blanks?

There is a vast difference between the two blanks.

At this stage the 106H will have to do for now and maybe when I move over to the Southern Red Sea area of Saudi Arabia will have to do.

Unfortunatley no GT's in the Persian gulf like in the Gulf of Oman.

If the 106H then shows as not capable of handling a GT your suggestions will be seriously looked at.

All the best from the Saudi 130F + desert...

Felix Lux

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 14, 2014, 03:41:11 AM
Sounds nice Gerhard. What size are the larger Mackerel in your area? I suppose quite decent since you use pe4?

Nathan Tsao

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
July 14, 2014, 05:18:22 AM
Hi Gerhard, I am speaking of the 106H. A couple of years ago I contacted the maker to build a set of 106XXXH, but they needed an minimum order of 50 blanks to produce them.

Gerhard Delport

• Fusilier
  • Spinaholic
  • Liked:
July 14, 2014, 05:28:55 AM
Sounds nice Gerhard. What size are the larger Mackerel in your area? I suppose quite decent since you use pe4?

The biggest one I know about was a 50lbs fish caught on live bait.

So the potential for a big fish is here.

Gerhard Delport

• Fusilier
  • Spinaholic
  • Liked:
July 14, 2014, 05:33:23 AM
Hi Gerhard, I am speaking of the 106H. A couple of years ago I contacted the maker to build a set of 106XXXH, but they needed an minimum order of 50 blanks to produce them.

Thanks Nathan,

I will have a chat with Kil Song and here what the possibilities are for a XXH rod.

Felix Lux

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 15, 2014, 04:12:39 AM

That certainly sounds like the potential is there. What is you favourite kind of lure for them?
In Australia most use metals or minnows for them from shore, but I'm sure sinking stickbaits would score well.

Gerhard Delport

• Fusilier
  • Spinaholic
  • Liked:
July 15, 2014, 04:33:49 AM

That certainly sounds like the potential is there. What is you favourite kind of lure for them?
In Australia most use metals or minnows for them from shore, but I'm sure sinking stickbaits would score well.

I am hunting them with Dr Hook Twitch bait sub surface stickbaits and metals.

Should have some fun on popper as well.

Felix Lux

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 15, 2014, 05:39:43 AM
Thanks Gerhard, happy fishing mate!