James Crichton

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Advice on split ring pliers
July 18, 2013, 11:27:20 AM
How many pairs of split ring pliers do I need? I am going to a remote location in the South Pacific and have 1 x pair of Assari pliers. The reason I'm asking is my last peer (Black Magics) fell in half and were unable to be repaired.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Advice on split ring pliers
July 18, 2013, 11:36:18 AM
Get yourself one decent pair James and forget those flashy Chinese OEM pliers which so many every tackle shop/maker seems to brand as their own.  As you have discovered, they fall to bits or the tips just snap off.

I would suggest Owner GP60.

James Crichton

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 18, 2013, 11:59:40 AM
Great, thanks Mark, it would seem the pair I have now would fall into the same bracket (Chinese OEM pliers). Will look into the Owner GP60. I have heard good things about the GPA pliers also. Last thing I want is a repeat performance (falling in half) when I'm many many miles from the nearest tackle shop. Cheers

Sami Ghandour

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 18, 2013, 12:02:12 PM
Hi James,

Check the DUO Split Ring Pliers: http://www.saltywatertackle.com/product.php?id_product=148
I had mine close to 4 years and still in very good shape.
Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 12:03:47 PM by Sami Ghandour

Dan Konig

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
July 18, 2013, 01:05:05 PM
Another vote for the GP60 James.

A word of warning though, you should spray them with INOX or similar when you first get them, and then every trip thereafter.

They are quite susceptible to rust if you don't do this. That being said, the pair I bought in 2010 is still going strong and they have probably spent 200 days on the water in that time.

James Crichton

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 18, 2013, 01:22:15 PM
Thanks for the advice will definitely consider the DUO s Sami. Pretty X'y though. Point taken re: GP60 Dan. Always use "salt-away" and inox on my gear after a day out. 

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 18, 2013, 01:37:15 PM
Dan is dead right on the GP60s and corrosion.

It 's the trade off between stainless pliers which do not corrode but are by definition soft and prone to break, and harder steel pliers like the GP60s.

Definitely spray them after each use, and if you think you will not be using for while, can also just smother in grease before storing.

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
July 18, 2013, 03:59:30 PM
Hi James, Pliers is always one of the items you don't think to much about going on a trip but to be without or loose or break a pair on a trip ends up being a major problem. As Sami said the Duo pliers are for me the best I have seen, I have had mine for 5 years and done 100s of trips and changed many thousand split rings/hooks, lures with them. BUT I only use them for split ring work and squashing barbs. I then carry a spare set of Duos as a back up plus I have a pair of either Accurate pliers or Chinese specials that I keep on my person when I'm fishing to take out hooks, cut line, basic changing of lures etc.

In short have at least 2 pairs on a trip. One very good pair for all split ring and rigging work and one pair to change lures, cut line, take hooks out of fish etc. Then if you break or loose one you have a back up.

Cheers,
Nick

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 18, 2013, 04:57:19 PM
Good advice on the back up set by Nick.

Look also at the 'Duel', the best on heavy and light split rings i have ever used, and they don't deform 11H rings either. They do rust though so take care of them.

After finding these I have never bothered looking at anything else.
Set the ray to GeeT

sam williams

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 18, 2013, 09:01:30 PM
+1 for owners, although never used them they are my next set seem to be the toughest out as my ones now black magic copy or whatever are rubbish

Lip Song

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 19, 2013, 01:23:57 AM
hi,

i am currently using this pilers from kahara, so far so good...

James Crichton

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 19, 2013, 02:04:11 AM
Well I finally bit the bullet and went with the DUO pliers. Will take your advice Nick and keep the inferior pair for hook out, line cutters etc. Got all bases covered now.
Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 10:42:53 AM by James Crichton

Doug Terry

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
July 19, 2013, 03:39:18 PM
I see jigpop are doing a pair of split ring pliers for $38.95 us. anbody got a pair.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
July 19, 2013, 04:22:07 PM
I see jigpop are doing a pair of split ring pliers for $38.95 us. anbody got a pair.

Most around that price-point would be lucky to last a season. Good value but you get what you pay for.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 19, 2013, 06:45:48 PM

Most around that price-point would be lucky to last a season. Good value but you get what you pay for.

Yep, the tip claw will snap.  This design (and variations upon it) is everywhere, and it uses stainless steel which is too soft for the job.
Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 06:47:54 PM by Mark Harris