Mitch James

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Yfin, sbt, stick baits and pencils??
July 20, 2013, 09:41:40 PM
Hey all,
Been a while since Ive been on here, but with the current run of sbt and yellowfin out of Sydney, I'm keen to hear some advice from all you experienced anglers as to what are suitable sticks and pencils I should b using if those barrels ever blow up within casting range!!!
Is 80/100 Fluoro going to cut it if an 80 kg beast jumps on?
Thanks to all for your input

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Re: Yfin, sbt, stick baits and pencils??
July 21, 2013, 04:17:05 PM
The SBT that migrate up this far tend to feed on baits that are bigger than locations down south.

A good size to focus on would be 130mm. Shimano make an Orca in this size which should start to become available in local tackle shops soon.
If you can find any, the Shimano Ocea Bluefin LTD Special was also a great lure at this size with a ultra-realistic sardine pattern printed on it.

Shout Engra also looks the goods and is castable.

Carpenter Bluefish in 60g and Gamma 90g also come in some nice Mackerel/Slimey patterns.

Kyle Stacey

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 22, 2013, 08:09:30 PM
Got plenty over the past couple of seasons (not barrels but fish to 40kg) on carpenter bluefish 100, yozuri slider 140 sinking being stand outs. Although I haven't used one a carpenter pandora it would be good to get under the schoolies to where the larger fish are lurking.

The fish in NSW are very much opportunistic feeders and larger lures seem to work well both trolling and casting as they are more visible from a distance.

Kyle

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
July 22, 2013, 08:51:04 PM
Got plenty over the past couple of seasons (not barrels but fish to 40kg) on carpenter bluefish 100, yozuri slider 140 sinking being stand outs. Although I haven't used one a carpenter pandora it would be good to get under the schoolies to where the larger fish are lurking.

The fish in NSW are very much opportunistic feeders and larger lures seem to work well both trolling and casting as they are more visible from a distance.

Kyle

The larger lures definitely don't fit the MO of larger SBT, at least from a stickbait perspective (and jigs). However, the smaller fish tend to display the crazy kamikaze traits that most smaller specimens of species do - and that's eat everything!

The barrels don't get that big for no reason - they are extremely fickle and get a lot more time to decide whether to inhale a stickbait offering, as opposed to trolling style which has more elements of opportunistic selection.

Peter Kim

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
December 16, 2013, 04:10:04 AM
Smith baby runboh is a great alternative to the orca, or the daiwa dorado slider. Easy to work, durable, and relatively cheap compared to some of the wooden stickbaits.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 17, 2013, 03:51:12 PM
Match the hatch , include metal jig when YFT r feeding on anchovy sized fish .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Peter Kim

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
December 19, 2013, 07:17:36 AM
Match the hatch , include metal jig when YFT r feeding on anchovy sized fish .

Jon .

Any interesting new stick bait i started to use thats SMALL yet heavy enough to cast is the black hole calypso pencils.  Their 80 gram size was perfect when I fishing fr yellowfin off mexico and the fish did not want large lures as they were feeding on small bait.

Thomas Maxted

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 07, 2014, 05:10:04 PM
If you come across a school of small 20kg fish then a Carpenter Blue Eel is looks good
The bigger fish would love the Heru Skipjack lure in 90g
Thomas