David Hill

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Replacement Entry Level Rod
August 07, 2013, 06:16:29 PM
Hi Guys,

As this is my first post let me start by saying that 100% of my GT captures over the last couple of years can be attributed to this forum. The wealth of knowledge contained within these pages is genuinely invaluable and a credit to all involved. At this stage I am an infrequent GT angler (1 to 2 times per year) and mainly do so in conjunction with my surf trips to the Maldives and Indonesia.

Following my in depth reading and evaluation of hundreds of opinions on the forum I purchased a budget Rod and reel setup several years ago consisting of a Tcurve GT Special and Saragosa 18k spooled with 80lb braid. Thanks to your detailed topics on rigging methods I've spent countless enjoyable hours rigging what some would say are probably overkill sized leaders (for the destinations I've been to) but which resulted in only 2 lost fish from roughly 40 hook ups to 30kg. I'm still dreaming of getting to the 50+ club......haha

On a trip last month to the Maldives I had the chance to work again with a fantastic surf boat captain called Patrick who guided us two years ago and who again spent many hours guiding me in the tender to some perfect fishing areas and getting me onto the fish. He is an avid GT popping fisherman himself and having heard he had broken his rod (cheap Penn spin rod circa 10-15kg) the week prior to us arriving and as a thank you for his efforts once again I gifted my rod to him at the end of the trip. I couldn't imagine a more grateful recipient as I remember him watching me handle some big fish on our previous trip and his amazement at even this relatively budget (from this forums perspective) rod's performance on 30kg fish compared to his usual tackle. He would most probably not even be able to access let alone afford such a rod in the Maldives so it felt great to be able to assist him (and my fishing karma should go through the roof....). It should be noted that he probably didn't need it though, as pictures of several 50kg+ fish (my rough estimate from the forums trip report pictures) of his catching at the helm of the boat attested.How he landed them on his rod with a Penn Spinfisher reel will never be known!!!!

With this in mind I am in the market for a replacement rod. My question is whether the Tcurve GT Special is still the right rod in the sub $400 dollar range or whether their are any other rods you would recommend? Unfortunately my budget doesn't allow anything in the mid to upper range rods as I simply don't spend enough time chasing them to justify the cost. In the entry level price range I don't imagine their are any stickbait/popper specific rods and that they are all general purpose rods but for specifications sake I tend to use cup faced poppers in the 125 to 150g range, and stickbaits like the nomad dogtooth 150's and Adhek Gobys.

Ill also just add that for the money I can't fault the Saragosa's performance so far on the fish I have encountered so will continue to use it until (hopefully) a big brute destroys it one day! Then I'll be able to upgrade to the Stella/Saltiga level which will also enhance my usual offshore fishing habits.

Thanks again to all the contributors to this site. You have given me the knowledge to go out there and wrestle some GT's during my trips, with each new trip involving a higher percentage of fishing than the last. I'm absolutely hooked and it won't be long until the first dedicated GT trip gets organised......haha.

Cheers

Dave

Craig Dawson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Replacement Entry Level Rod
August 07, 2013, 08:37:56 PM
Mate I just had a play with the saltiga s extreme GTXX and was very impressed for the price... I think it would be pretty much on the money for what you want.. It the best I have found in that sub $500 price point.. The Wilson venom pe10 was also not to bad but not as crisp

Wayne Brown

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 07, 2013, 09:08:07 PM
I have used the Berkely Venom Viper GT and it's handed some decent fish. Casts pretty well, has good running gear and is lighter than the Wilson Venom range. Not many of these around but if you google it you should find it for under $400 on clear out as the model is discontinued.

David Hill

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
August 07, 2013, 09:10:51 PM
Many thanks Craig. I just had a look over over the specs and noted that it is about 9 inches shorter than the GT special. Were you using the rod or just taking a look, and if using how did you find the casting distance compared to the usual models/lengths you utilise? I'm just guessing that given I'm no a-level caster my distance may suffer quite a bit from the drop in length. So far I've had no problems with applying enough power to the fish with the 8'3 rod but am aware that the shorter rods make for somewhat "easier" handling of fish.

Does anyone know of any tackle stores in the Brisbane/Sunshine Coast area that stock the S Extreme GT models so I can take a look?

Cheers

Dave

David Hill

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
August 07, 2013, 09:28:57 PM
Cheers Wayne. Pricing looks good and a quick little search on google brought up a report of a 35kg dogtooth taken on that rod in Vanuatu which is pretty impressive for the money

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 07, 2013, 09:33:29 PM
Keep your eye out in the second hand buy/sell section on this forum.

Every now and then a gem pops up right in your price range and you can get a real step up for your money.

Trevor

David Hill

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
August 07, 2013, 10:08:58 PM
Thanks Trevor, from searching the forum it might take a few more posts before I'm handed the keys to the necessary vehicle but I'm sure ill get there in time....ha

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 08, 2013, 12:32:49 AM
David, first I must congratulate on your first post above. It is so refreshing to hear from a relative newcomer to the sport who has clearly gained so much from the body of knowledge posted by so many members at this forum. Top stuff and very well expressed.

One rod to look at which is not quite sub-$400 but is sub-$500, is the NS Black Hole Cape Cod Popping Special 80G.  Nice rod and very good value.

Wayne Brown

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 08, 2013, 07:32:30 AM
David that dogtooth was taken on my rod used by Craig by Arthurs at the time. It can certainly handle plenty of drag as Craig did not hold back. It currently acts as a backup to my FCL Labo 81 Extreme. Mark Harris knows his stuff so I would also check out the NS Black Hole. I have two of their jigging rods but as I do not have their popping rod I could not comment. The jigging rods are strong and do the job pretty well.

Good luck.

David Hill

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
August 08, 2013, 07:57:28 AM
Many thanks Mark, I spent countless hours pouring over the info and tutorials on here and combined with some first hand advice from my local tackle store produced an outfit and rigging methods that, although relatively inexpensive in the scheme of what's both available, and commonly used, has performed admirably for the locations and styles I encounter. Thank you for the recommendation. In addition to others provided this will give me a good couple of rods to investigate before making my final decision.

David Hill

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
August 08, 2013, 08:00:25 AM
Thanks for the recommendations Wayne

Craig Dawson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 08, 2013, 08:47:44 AM
Hey mate tacklewarehouse has a GTxx but only until Friday ... All the rods I have used are under 8" just because of the boat size we fish out off so I can't comment on the cast ability of the rod

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 08, 2013, 10:45:58 AM
Consider the Smith WRC 80p, member Kasey has in the classifieds section. Handles 125g cuberas and stickbaits perfectly.

Cheers Dave

David Hill

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
August 08, 2013, 01:48:27 PM
Thanks Dave. As I'm unable to view the relevant section as yet could you please confirm Kasey's surname so that I can send him a PM?

Cheers

Dave

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
August 08, 2013, 02:24:49 PM
David,

Kasey Leong. That was one of the rods I alluded to in my post.

Trevor