Richard Kanseah

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Aloha

Other than my intro post, this is my first post and hopefully posting it in the correct area

Having read many of the entries in regards to the Topic of Plugging for Ulua, , mostly from shoreline, I have been wanting to give it a go for some time now , been reading material posted here, watching th GTFC videos and of course summoning my past experiences in having caught Ulua and Papio.

I finally took the leap so to speak, I would have loved to of had KPC wrap me up one of those UC blanks or any noted wrapper or high end blank, yet it is my first attempt at trying the plugging aspect of tackling Ulua.

Have any forum members used or are familiar with the Temple Fork Outfitters line of Loomis Tactical Surf Rods? I purchased recently such a rod, factory wrapped , this past week, I have yet to recieve it yet should be per contact with FishUSA this morning should have it by monday.

Its a 10'6" rod, line wt 20-40, and 2-8oz. I have researched reviews of this rod from a variety of other fishing forums, and have been pleasantly surprised by what I have learned. The rod itself, although marketed by TFO, was actually designed to specs and invisioned by Gary Loomis himself. The blank itself is a HM graphite/carbon mix. I had learned that the rod was specifically designed to handle only braided line.

The rod set me back $ 199.95 with free shipping included and a lifetime warranty. I figure that being it would be my first dedicated plugging blank, the cost would not be to difficult to eat if I was not very good at it or even enjoyed it.

I initially wanted to get a St. Croix Mojo rod around the same specs as my inital intro rod, yet was surprised to find that some dealers were having nearly 80% return on the rods due to breakage, some were even higher.

Now to pair it up with a reel... again to keep the cost down a bit being it would be my intro set up, was considering a Diawa Saltist, Okuma Cerderos or even a Shimano Sargosa. I would like to run 40-50lb braid , I take it a 60lb rub line to it? Possibly a 6000 - 8000 series reel in size

I do plan on using a variety of plugs, stick baits and MW lures with it.

Any feed back on those with experience with this rod would be greatly appreciated.

Mahalo

Dave Sinnott

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Richard.

I can't speak of the specific rod you ordered but here in Calgary, Canada is where Temple Fork Outfitters is located for all of Canada.

All of my saltwater rods are TFO.  Mostly fly rods in 6wt, 8wt, 9/10 Baby Bluewater and 11/12 Light duty bluewater.  Landed a 65lb GT @ Christmas Island and could have easily handled much, much more.  They are tough rods and the warranty is the best out there bar none.  Break a section and for $25 they will fix your rod.  No questions asked.

I also have a lighter 3 piece spinning rod for bonefish and other species up to 30lbs plus the 20-50lb heavy duty 7' spinning model which I landed a 45lb GT at Christmas Island on.  Super strong rods.

As for the reel, it was a Daiwa Saltist 6500h with upgraded carbon drag, power knob handle and the line roller bearing upgrade.  The Saltist was amazing when batteling GT's up to 70lbs as those were the largest we found.  My buddy landed a 72lb Wahoo on his Saltist.  Screamed out a lot of line but when he tightened up the drag he defeated the fish pretty fast.

I love the TFO brand of rods because they are super strong and the warranty is the best around.  The saltist is an amazing, strong reel at a really affordable price.  Much less than the Stella or Saltiga.