Chrislocke

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
General purpose PE8 rod
September 08, 2013, 11:19:16 AM
Hi Everyone,

Looking for an affordable rod to match a 10K stella, and fishing PE8. It has to be general purpose as I'll be throwing a mix of poppers and stickbaits with it, and come in at around the $600 - $700 price bracket. I've looked at a lot of rods online and I'm struggling to find an affordable option!

Another thing I'm a little unsure about, given my lack of big GT fishing is rod length. Am I better of fishing with a longer rod, say over 8', or is it one of those things where personal preference is really important.

If you've had an experience with any rods that fit this criteria I'd love to hear it!

Regards, Chris

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: General purpose PE8 rod
September 08, 2013, 11:39:20 AM
Have you had a look at our guide to GT rods?

http://www.gtpopping.com/forum/index.php/topic,1374.0.html

Here is a very suitable rod at a decent price, Chis

http://www.gtpopping.com/forum/index.php/topic,6352.0.html
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Chrislocke

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
September 08, 2013, 12:02:53 PM
Ahh! I overlooked that post, thanks for that!

Price range is definitely a problem though.
I've looked at the saltigas and I'm not really a fan. That's why I'd love if people could type what works well for them, so I can research them :)

Also, re' the classfields post, I don't have permission to view that post as yet, which I'm assuming is due to my lack of posts.

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
September 08, 2013, 01:06:32 PM
Chris,

Once you've read Brandon's guide (actually a great introduction is to read them all) sit down and re-evaluate what you think you need.

If your priority is to match a rod to your 10000 then I would suggest that PE6 is probably more suitable. Where will you be using the rod, what is the terrain like? A 10000 will probably hold less than 200 metres of PE8, one wind knot and you're at 150. If you want to fish PE8 you may have to invest in an aftermarket spool like the SOM 16000....they're expensive.

Brandon's guides cover all this ground.

Once you've gone through the above process have a look at rods. I would suggest rods made by Hots, FCL and Yamaga Blanks since I've used them but are probably at the upper end of your price range. If you're a beginner rods around 8 ft are a good compromise. They will take a bit of researching to track down since you can't walk into Tackle World and buy one but they're worth the effort.

Regards,

Trevor

Chrislocke

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
September 08, 2013, 01:15:51 PM
Sorry, Should have mentioned I'm sussing out a 16000 spool :)

Thanks for the info, I'll have a look at those brands!