Chris Gaschk

GT Combo Advise
February 06, 2013, 09:38:53 AM
Hi Everyone,

Look for a bit of help with the purchase of a combo for GT's, my price range is probably $600 for the combo (not including braid). I was looking at at Daiwa Saltist 6500H and Daiwa Monster Mesh Max Spin 7'2".

My question is does the Saltist have enough stopping power? And does it have either 30kg drag or 15kg drag because I've seen both listed? I think the 30kg might be typing error by Daiwa?

I know that 15kg of drag would be plenty in open water with room to maneuver but where we usually go to chase GT's is on a coal load jetty in NQ. There are some absolute horses at the spot to, I have a mate that spears the spot and he say there is easy 50+ fish down there.  So really you only have around 20m of open water before a big GT gets back to the pylon and busts you off.

I've also looked at the FinNor Offshore 6500 but I have heard reports its not much chop especially locked up with heavy drag as the steel is cast not machined.

So any advice I what I should purchase let me know?

Andrew Susani

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: GT Combo Advise
February 06, 2013, 01:51:31 PM
A friend of mine used to use a Saltist 5500 and broke the main shaft on the 8th GT - some of these were biggish, around 30kg.  Afterwards he bought a 6500 Saltiga but found it a bit big to be using all the time, so he bought a Stella 10000 and is happy with it. 

The moral is, buy once, buy right.  Even fishing moderate drags, these fish and this sort of fishing will put extraordinary strain on equipment.

We fish the Mackay region but have never done much around the coal loaders with heavy gear.  I don't think any tackle will stop a 50kg GT hooked near a pylon, if it decides to run home.
Focus on the pop

Chris Gaschk

February 06, 2013, 02:06:09 PM
Thanks for the advise Andrew, the only thing is at this present time I live about 300km inland and only get out to chase GT's and other pelagics once in a bluemoon so I'm struggling to justify spending $1000 on Stella to only use it once a year. Plus the budget deal with such a large withdrawal either.

Has anyone had anything to do with the Ecooda Hornets?

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 06, 2013, 04:07:45 PM
Hey Chris

In that price bracket I  think you will do better with a Shimano Saragossa in either 18000 or 14000 size. It is not a flash reel by any means but it is hardier than a Saltist.

Steve Li

February 08, 2013, 03:05:10 AM
The Saltist 6500 is rated 15kg drag. It's half of the Saltiga's actually as the drag components are different.

For the price, it is a decent reel. It gets the job done and good value for money since you don't fish often anyways. It looks great aesthetically too! I suggest that you change the drag washers to carbontex ones tho. The original are made of felt and looks really cheap.

Don't worry too much about the lower drag rating. 12kg to 15kg is about as much as most people can handle. If you really need some serious stopping power in any instance, just palm the spool. That's a much safer way for dealing out serious drag when you need it!  ;)

Dave Sinnott

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
August 28, 2013, 12:23:09 AM
I have the upgraded Saltist 6500h with Carbontex drag, line roller bearing and power knob all purchased on Ebay.  Worked great on GT's up to 70lbs and my buddy landed a large Wahoo 72lbs without any problems.  In the same boat as you.  Maybe only use the reel once a year at most.  420 yds of 80lb braid.  It worked great.

Like Steve said, it may not be a reel for everyday use on 100lb fish but for the odd time out it is more than fine.  For our fish up to 70lbs the drag was NOT cranked down to the max and it stopped the fish in it's tracks.  We even used $45 rods that stood up to the fish.

Wayne Brown

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 28, 2013, 07:37:21 AM
In that price range and given the size of the fish, I would consider the Okuma Salina 3 combo at around around $350 (Ray and Annes). These reels have stated drag of 24kg and a gear ratio of 5.7 but most importantly come with a lifetime warranty. For the type of fishing you are doing the warranty might well be an important facet of your purchase.  I know its well below your budget but I really don't see a lot out there in your price range and if you were going to spend more I would be spending it on the rod (something like the Berkley Taipan or Venom Viper GT), or upgrading the budget to a second hand Stella 10k / 2012 Catalina / Penn Torque etc.

In terms of the ecooda, I have not used one or even seen anyone using one. I did pick a few up for a look one day and was not impressed with their "quality". I would take the warranty of the Okuma.

Ross Dalzell

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
September 08, 2013, 09:19:56 PM
You used the venom taipan at all Wayne?  I'm on the verge of buying one and would be keen to here some feedback.

Wayne Brown

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 08, 2013, 09:30:01 PM
In terms of the Venom Viper GT I think it is an excellent rod for the price. It casts well, handles a good range of poppers and had no trouble at all handling high levels of drag.  if you are in Sydney you are welcome to take mine out for a session casting etc. PM if you want any further detail.

Wayne Brown

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 08, 2013, 09:40:34 PM
Apologies you asked about the Taipan. No I have not personally used one but a friend who fishes with me regularly has and loves it. It seems to throw lures in the 60-100 gram range well (maybe less but I have not seen it). Parabolic when loaded, good running gear (Titanium sic fuji guides etc). I would consider in my limited experience of seeing this rod in action as to be PE 4/5 rod, not a PE8 rod.  It is also light, lighter than a comparable specked  Daiwa Monster Mesh, Wilson Venom etc.

David Lumanauw

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 08, 2013, 11:04:19 PM
I use Ecooda hornet 8000 and like it. Smooth, rigid, and after few trips it maintain its smoothness and power.
The 8000 is below 600gr, but the line capacity is lower than Shimano's 8000.
Bigger Ecooda hornet (10000, 12000) has more weight, about 720gr. Bigger than these (16000) maybe too heavy for all day popping.
Ratio 5.1 : 1.
Main gear is stainless steel, and the pinion gear is brass. Maybe this is for smoothness.
I also have similiar reel (different brand, but seems made by the same factory) that has stainless main gear and stainless pinion gear, it is not smooth.

Jorge Fidalgo

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 09, 2013, 01:39:03 AM
Honestly, I do not understand the concept of not getting the best when I won't be doing a particular type of fishing more than 1-3 times a year.

I am taking my 1st ever GT trip in November, and will probably only get to fish for GT 1 to 2 times per year. Yet I have 2 18k swb stellas on order, 2 carpenters rods, and 30 odd GT lures.

But maybe it is just me and I am sick that way!

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 16, 2013, 07:53:24 PM
I suppose there is an element of each to their own in terms of how they approach this.

I do think though that if you want to go for a more budget offering that you need to recognise that there is more of a risk of gear failure.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 17, 2013, 11:44:21 AM
I think another phenomena or quirk of GT fishing is that it's practitioners sometimes tend to become 'collectors' of rare and / or state of the art equipment associated with the game, regardless of whether it is going to see frequent usage or not. Some people collect stamps, coins or dolls, definitely "each to their own".
Set the ray to GeeT