• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Storage Tip
September 16, 2013, 06:18:38 PM
Expedition packing and equipment storage whilst not in use - is a real art! These cheap vinyl wallets with slide-lock not only keep poppers and stickbaits orderly, they also provide splash-resistance and help to minimize lure rash - whether they are being put into luggage or stored in a tub until next expedition.

I use them within other hard-shell cases and compartments that provide superior protection for water an shock.

At roughly 1 buck per wallet - they are worth having in your kit and replacing as needed.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Storage Tip
September 16, 2013, 07:48:59 PM
Where do you get these from, Luke?
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 17, 2013, 08:45:42 PM
That's a nice idea Luke.

Brandon, I buy these for office use and get them at my local stationery shop.  Never thought of the lure application.. I like it!

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 18, 2013, 11:00:20 AM
You get them from a stationary shop?!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 18, 2013, 11:40:36 AM
Yes.  They are intended for moisture proof document storage.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
September 18, 2013, 11:49:43 AM
Office Works!

Jorge Fidalgo

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 18, 2013, 01:17:47 PM
Luke when you travel with your lures like the gammas, do you keep them within their own sleve they come with and then place them in the large wallet?

Also, on an average 5 days fishing GT trip, how many lures do you tend to bring?

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
September 18, 2013, 05:37:53 PM
Luke when you travel with your lures like the gammas, do you keep them within their own sleve they come with and then place them in the large wallet?

Also, on an average 5 days fishing GT trip, how many lures do you tend to bring?

I try to keep them in the orginal sleeve but they wear very easily. I will keep in the sleeve and also put in the wallet, 3-4 lures per wallet depending on the size.

For a trip of that duration it would be in the range of 20-25 lures to cover a range of sizes, action and water conditions.

Luke

Jorge Fidalgo

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 19, 2013, 12:11:57 PM
Thanks for the info. I am having a hard time not surpassing 35 lures. So I am 10 ahead of your max.

I think I will be fine on the weight limit as I will be limiting my jigs considerably. But I do not want to bring so much more than I need that it becomes cumbersome.

However, I do feel that as I do more popping trips I will start to have favorites and it will become easier to select less lures. This has definitely been the case with my jig selection in the last year.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
September 19, 2013, 06:29:52 PM
Everyone is different Jorge. I know guys who would go on a one week GT trip with a max of 10 lures.  I would break out in a hot sweat if I did that  ;)

25-30 is the number I normally aim for. For air transport I normally fit them in whatever spaces need filling, including my rod tube (very well wrapped with bubbles) and then fill up a hPa popper roll (great piece of kit) for daily use. THe hPa popper roll goes in my check in luggage flat packed.
Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 06:50:03 PM by Mark Harris

Jorge Fidalgo

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 20, 2013, 10:30:56 AM
Good advice Mark thank you. I would break out in a cold sweat if I went jigging locally in Miami with 10 jigs only lol.

I was thinking of placing the majority of my lures in a Shout Water Guard Case ll and the excess fit them in a Shimano System Case BK-295J as I do not see the whole kit fitting in the Shout case.