Dan Konig

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
PE5 casting rod. Blue Sniper? Temple Reef? Others?
September 19, 2013, 10:52:35 PM
I'm looking at a new casting rod to fill a gap in the arsenal.

Chasing something to cast sticks and poppers around the 70-100gr range. Must be at least 7'6".

Realistically it will be more sticks than poppers I'd say, but I want something that can effectively work an 80gr + riggings popper.

Will be fishing it with a 10,000SW running PE5. Planning to use it for some general reef and light GT duties on upcoming Eiao and Vanuatu trips and also for some northern hemisphere tuna trips that I'm looking at for next year.

I have a Yamaga Blue Sniper 77/3 which I love, so have been looking at a Blue Sniper 80/5, but I don't know anywhere that has this rod for me to look at so am unsure if it is truly the PE5 version of a 77/3 as I hope it is. Am also looking at the Temple Reef Stealth STK 78HH.

Open to other suggestions, but don't really want to spend more than $600ish so the Carpenter offerings are probably out of limits.

Any feedback on either of the 2 rods I've suggested or any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Dan

Dan Konig

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
I have also been looking at some of the Tenyru Spike offerings, to throw something else into the mix.

Matt Kris

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Very interested in this! Good topic Dan. I have bugger all experience with stickbaiting and have used very few rods. I am in the same boat, after exactly what you are after for throwing medium sized stickbaits on a 10,000sw with pe5. They tenryu's seem to be the pick of the bunch from what I have found but its hard to know without seeing one in person. Any advice from those who are familiar with these rods would also help me out. Cheers

Leo Sorbello

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Hi Dan,

With your specs your after and budget, here is one that should be readily available in which I have one and love it. It casts & works well with stickbaits & poppers in the 60 - 80 g range is perfect.

The Jigging Master Surface Assasin 7'5", 40-120g PE-3 - 6 rod. This is a strong rod for it's class and it will be well balanced with SW10000 indeed with also PE5 your intending to use.

Tight Lines !.

Regards

Leo

Dan Konig

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Thanks Leo, I hadn't considered those options.

I've found a well priced stockist of the Yamaga so am leaning that way, but haven't found anyone with any experience with that rod as yet and am reluctant to pull the trigger without at least some form of a review from someone!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Dan,

Like you I have a Blue Sniper 77/3. I have also used a 75/4 quite a bit and cast an 82/5 a few times but never a an 80/5.  It's a realy nice range of rods.

Looking at the specs, the 80/5 has a higher carbon content than the 82/5 and the same as the 75/4.  Little doubt in my mind the 80/5 would be perfect for the stick bait weights you mention but I am a little dubious about poppers at 80 grams + depending on the cup sizes. Smaller cup sizes would probably be OK. I think you would really need to see one in person and judge the tip stiffness for yourself, unless you find someone who has one.
Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 11:16:16 AM by Mark Harris

Dan Konig

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Thanks for that Mark

What do you think of the 82/5 for my application? My concern with that rod is that with the 150gr cast weight rating and coming in at 372grams, it might be a heavier rod than what I'm chasing. I'm looking for something to fish PE5 hard but don't really want another PE6 or 6-8 style rod.

Another rod which has been suggested to me is the FCL Labo UCB 76, but I've not seen one of those in the flesh either.

Dan

Sam Morrison

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Dan,

Add the new Van Diemen series from Synit into your list of probable rods...

Dan Konig

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Thanks Sam, but I'm looking for something that I can order in the next week or so and have delivered before the second week in October, so think that rules the Van Diemens out!

Also I think they may be a pure stickbait rod (which is not really what I'm chasing) but I'm basing that only on one forum post by Synit USA.

Wayne Brown

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Dan, following some great contribution from our forum members, I just pulled the trigger on a Blue Sniper 80/5. Whilst rated a PE 5 rod (I was considering a PE6 rod) it ticked all the other boxes in terms of price, and lure weight range. If you are Sydney based and want to wait a few weeks for it to arrive, we could arrange a test session.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Hi Dan ,

Carpenter BC75MHS , you wont regret buying it . ;)

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Arnout Weber

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hello Dan,

I have a blue snipper 80/5. I used it with PE5 for Roosterfish and Jack creval
in Costa Rica. I fished both poppers and stickbaits  with it. For me it was very good.
I also used it in Nosy Mitsio for Skipjacks and Dorado,s with a Spoon.
I bought mine at seawoodtackle.com.

My fishingmate has a Tenryu furrary racing. Also i nice rod but i think
a little bit soft.

Best regards,

Arnout.

Dmitrii Novgorodtcev

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hello Dan,
Pay attention to Hammer Head Trinity 82/5. I think it might be better if you are going to use poppers also.
It is very light. The price is more expensive than Yamaga, but in Japan it is just about $600.

Tony Warnett

• Fusilier
  • Liked:

Sami Ghandour

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Dan,

If you get a minute check our new line of rods El Maestro, we will have a series of 3 rods to cover all aspect,
El Maestro 710 will be released in another month, we have achieved great result and the rod suits what you are looking for,
please check the following link: http://www.saltywatertackle.com/product.php?id_product=996

Tight lines
    Sami