Aaron Levien

• Fusilier
  • Team Assassin
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
ASSASSIN go Tropical in search of the MONSTER GT!!!
September 21, 2013, 08:36:17 AM
This report I will focus on the fishing aspect of the trip as I would have a complete novel for what we got up to on the Island. But if you want to know anything about our trip just ask away. Cheers

The anticipation was high and we were geared up with some serious goods, consisting of around 50 poppers and stickbaits, a JM GT Popp Rod, a JM Surface Assassin, a Synit Lalandi, 4 Stellas, 1 Saltiga, Owner Trebbles, Jobu Hooks, 5 spare spools, 3 spare rolls of 80+ pound braid plus much more misc items. Thanks to Boulder, Millkman, STC10, DEACS (f.net members) for helping us out with some of the gear. So loaded up and headed for Raro for 5 days then on to Aitutaki for 3 days, it was safe to say we were ready, well so we thought...

Day 1
Land in Raro at 1am, up at 8am. Quickly smashed back breakfast, then headed to Avana passage (thanks to DEACS for sending me a map of the island filled with information and spots). We get to the passage and she is blowing 20 knots straight at us.

We had no chance of casting into the wind and out over the reef. We moved ourselves down the passage abit and went to work. We spent around 2 hours casting here with only one strike (we knew this would be the case). So back to the resort and hoping this wind would either change direction or die off.

Day 2
We wake up and jump to the window to see it raining and blowing around 25 knots. This is crazy can it possibly blow this hard for so long and no have any patches of dieing off? Is there such a thing as gusts here or just straight wind? Anyway we worked the tide with it coming in and being 1 hour from low tide.  Same deal as Day 1 but without the added strike we had.

My brother in law to be had decided to rock on down on the scooter and join us as he wanted some action on the GTs. Anyway we worked our rear ends off to no success. Anyway back at the Auckland Boat Show, Kelly had pumped into MARLIN QUEEN FISHING CHARTERS and got speaking to Diane and Junior (turns out Diane is a very good family friend of Kelly's family). So Kel got on the hooter and called up Diane. She said yes we will book you in for tomorrow afternoon aye. Sure, thats a great idea as Kelly's dream has been to nab herself a nice Mahi Mahi and mine... well a HORSE GT.

Day 3
We decided to jump on the scooter and go find Marlin Queen (Diane and Junior).

We went down to the harbour, oh nah their "Big" boat is not out, so we shot into town to see them at their hut. We seee Junior and he states... "Oh Diane is down the Harbour hand feeding the BIG GT's". My jaw dropped and my shirt was covered in dribble. I had the scooter fired up and was screaming at Kelly to get on. I had to see these GTs. We shot back to the harbour and here she was making some Sashimi and Ika Mata from a nice Yellow Fin they had just caught and here is the Skipper Willy hand feeding like 30 monster... and i mean MONSTER GTs.

The would smash the head of a 10 + kilo YFT in one go. There was so many cluttered into a small 3m squared area. I was pushing people out of the way to get amongst the action and try and shove the GoPro in the water. These GTs were having head on's with each other, launching out of the water and head butting the Stabi craft. Everyone was amazed at the fish feeding, but one thing was on my mind... Why is no one catching the monsters? So out I blurted the question. Diane responds "well you can catch them but they dont like to as the feeding attracks people and when they do try to catch them only "Special" people get to a chance at it". I replied, its been a long time dream to catch one... (but meaning to catch one on a popper or stick bait). Diane said, do you want to catch one? Before I gave it any thought I had said yes and I was on the deck holding a 50w and game rod. I asked how big are the big boys, 25kilo? Willy laughed, nah mate 60 kilo. Kelly bursts into laughter and said good luck and oh have you written your will recently? Then reality set in, is this just straight up stupid? Can this even be done? Then to make matters worse Willy said okay get on the bow. I think, Bow? We are at anchor mate and these things are well as stated 60 kilo? I prayed that I hooked a baby (20 kilo) that would give me a chance to keep it away from anchor line. I slowly lower the bait. I was around 100mm from hitting the surface and boom my prays were answered a small 20 kega leaps out of the water, smashes the bait and all hell breaks loose. Its game on. I last around 10 second and straight for our anchor line. YIP my thoughts. Busted off. I was almost in tears, literally. Was this my only chance as securing that GT i had come for (as the weather was not looking good for days to come). I pleaded to to have another crack but on the deck as i felt i would have a great chance of slowing these things down from hitting anchor lines. Diane said, yip another go Willy but on the deck... Yes she read my mind. Right it was time to make this one stick. Loaded up, it took around 0.34789 seconds for the bait to be inhaled... S H I T... one of the big boys wanted to play this time. Now I was really packing myself. I kept calm and collected and tried to work some magic. The first minute the big boy did some nice loops under each of the boats, once i got through this 1 minute barrier i thought i may actually have a chance to secure this fish. Could it be possible? The fight went on for 10 minutes or so with Mr GT competing Big Arcs and some nice runs, at one stage i tried thumbing the spool and that made things worse, instant line burn. The fight kept going and then i started to think I don't think he's going to tire. The boom, on the surface sideways is the Horse GT. I couldn't believe it. Willy secured the Fish a few snaps taken and Mr GT returned home.
Diane and Marlin Queen had just made my holiday. I was buzzing for the rest of the holiday and still am.
9pm that night we called Diane to see if the charter for the next day was a go... Nah wind was up to much.

Day 4
This day was my sisters wedding however Diane had said to call her at 9pm this night and we would get the call if wether we could go out for the morning before we flew out to Aitutaki. At the reception a few beers flowing and one of the groomes men and I got talking about catching GTs in the harbour. Ricki had started telling me that he had tried the night before to catch one of these GTs. He described his setup to which consisted of...
Rod with granny knots every 300mm, then 200lb trace of around 5 meters with a HAPUKU hook was attached. The rope was then secured to a moring post just in case he couldnt hold on to one of these monsters (now before you think I told him to go do this, i had never meet the guy nor informed any of his mates about me catching one 24 hours prior). Anyway Ricki said he burlied up a storm for 1 1/2 hours to get nothing. Then a local told him he was in the wrong area and need to move down to a different spot to get them. Sure enough Rick's moved and found the bad boys. Within 5 minutes he said he was hooked up. Then what was to come next, his words, "i hooked up and it instantly F&*k'd off and i couldnt hold on. The line went tight then he was gone". He then pulled his cell phone out and showed me a pciture of the HOOK. It was almost completly straight. It looked like someone had tried to beat this hook dead straight (i am trying to get a picture of the hook so i can post on here). Then this is where i told Ricki i had caught one the same day. He actually didnt believe me until we went back to the unit and showed him footage.
Anyway we rang Diane once again and YIP sure enough, trip cancelled for tomorrow. As each day went on the winds got up by 5 knots.

Day 5
This day we woke and she was blowing almost 40 knots. We were almost blown off our scooter multiple times. We shot into town and went to the Saturday Markets and stopped off to say good bye to Diane and Junior. These two people are just simply amazing. We highly recommend contacting them as they has some damn cheap and wicked packages for accomodation, fishing, diving, golf and sailing all in one.

So we were gutted about not getting  a charter on Raro however we were to excited as we were leaving for Aitutaki in a few hours and we were booked in the next day with Mike from Black Pearl Charters (don't even get me started on Mike and his wife, these two are possibly the two nicest people we had ever meet and will go completely out of their way for you).
Aitutaki

Day 5 second half
We had landed in Aitutaki and we stayed at the Aitutaki Lagoon Resort and Spa (it is a private little Island a stones throw).

Anyway, we rang Mike that night and he said GTs were probably going to be a no go but the Mahi Mahi were on the bite. This is now where things went pear shaped for us, especially Kelly. We became super sick and I mean super sick and i was not far behind. However I was not going to let this get the better of me as there were around 35 anglers spread all over the lagoon flicking flies for Bone Fish and here i am wandering around with a Popper and Stickbait chassing GTs. It was like I was abnormal and should have been chassing Bone Fish. Anyway I wandered all over the place casting poppers and so forth to get not a dam thing.

That night was one of the worst for us. We had contracted a virus with sever coughing and other stuff you don't need to know. Anyway i was a tad worried we wouldnt be fishing due to this. We did our best that night but nothing wanted to work for us.

DAY 6 7 and 8 on next post
Team Assassin

follow us at:
http://www.facebook.com/AssassinJigTeam

Aaron Levien

• Fusilier
  • Team Assassin
  • Liked:

Day 6
We were picked up at 8.00am to go get livies... Get livies this late mate? We will lose most of the day? Nah, nah Mike says. Ill get like 100 live bait in 3 seconds!!

Oh hell here we go i was thinking. Down the beach we drove looking for a cloud of bait fish. Within 3 minutes Mike finds his target, jumps out, flicks a huge net and drags in tones of livies. Right lets go! Holly heck live bait in 2 seconds? This is crazy, wish it was this easy at home. Down to the warf, in the boat all geared up and off to a FAD we go. We stopped around 200 meters shy of the FAD and got all geared up. Mike rigged the live bait straight up through the top of the mouth. The live bait we only about the size of your index finger and nothing like here in NZ being the size of your forearm. Anyway livies rigged and motored into the FAD. Mike was giving us the run down about being able to see the Mahi Mahi and they should be on the chew. Oh did i mention the FAD was sitting in 800meters of crystal candy blue water. Mike parks up, and straights telling Kelly what to do and starts to lower the first live bait into water and 1 foot from the surface a Mahi Mahi (lets go with MM from now on) leaps out and engulfs the wee livie.

From this point onwards it was all hell breaking loose. Mike had never seen the MM feeding this hard in the 10 years he had been chartering here in Aitutaki. Sometimes we would pull back up for a new drift and the MM were waiting for the next round of food and the arial attacks that followed soon after mr livie was engulfed was simply amazing. We have never seen fish jump this height out of the water. They would have been able to clear a 2 storey building.

So within 1 hour we had 12 MM on board. 2 of these were the Males (square head, the best looking). So out came the snapper gear or 4 kilo setups for some fun. This was a dam blast with bust offs here and then running out of live bait there was only one thing on my MIND... A GT ON TOP. So off we went to the reef.

I got all geared up however Kelly was heading down hill fast. She sat in the corner recording all the action but looking in a sorry state to say the least. I must have made near 200 casts (well dam well felt like it). It was tough casting into the wind and at first i didn't think I had enough in the tank to cast that far as i had recently read a post from Brandon Ku who went with Mike and recall Mike saying Brandon needed to cast further. So first cast i gave it lets say 95% percent. Mike straight away says "oh mate you have a huge cast". Yeah i was stoked with that and now it was time to get to business.

Anyway, i worked stickbaits-floating and sinking, poppers big and small, but the floating stickbaits proved to be the best for the day. I had around 5 chasses, 2 strikes and 1 hookup to only be spat straight away. One good chase I had, Mike was screaming "hold on boy, there is a 30 kegger chasing you down right now, you better be ready". After a few hours the grind of the flu for me was taking a toll. I wanted to stick it out but Mike said look mate I have a spare half day the day you fly out. Go home, get better and lets get you that GT, then after that we will go and swim with "GEORGE" a local 40 kilo + GT. So on the way home Mike insisted on helping us get through this virus. We stopped off at a local dairy where he bought us fluids and strepsils. Then he insisted on going home to get nurofen for us which we couldn't accept and said we would be alright. The guy was simply awesome to say the least. I think he just wanted to see me go through some real pain on a solid GT on Tuesday.

Day 7
So this day Kelly and I were even worse again. However for me I didn't want to waste any time so out I went while Kelly died back in the room. I walked around in the lagoon with a popping setup, found a quiet spot, started popping for an hour to get nothing. Then the popper got tail wrapped on the tail treble and started acting like a stick bait. Straight away 3 bone fish came out of nowhere chasing the lure right to the shore. So a quick change saw me throw on a new stickbait and sure enough the Bone Fish were so intrigued but they were also hesitant at the same time. After around a good 15 chases I had enough and rocked back to the unit to grab the 4 kilo setup with a WAXWING. Back to my same spot and boom... THE SAME DAM THING. Why won't these things take the dam lure? Turns out that these fish are the hardest to catch in the cook islands.

Back to the Resort and a late phone call to Mere (Mikes wife) to inform her that I wouldn't be making the early morning trip due to being so sick. Mere was persistent in offering to help us out with medication and was going to go out of her way to get vitamins and come over to the island to drop these off. We insisted that we would be fine and that we would be able to get back to NZ the next day alright.

Day 8
Fly home after an unforgettable trip on all aspects.

Thank you to all those who helped out with our trip. Just a pitty the Winds and the Sickness didn't help us much at all.
Team Assassin

follow us at:

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Thanks for the comprehensive report, Aaron.
I hope you have better luck from both a weather and health perspective on future trips!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Aaron Levien

• Fusilier
  • Team Assassin
  • Liked:
Cheers Brendon. Yeah Mike spoke highly of you and your info really helped us out. Just unfortunately no matter how much prep you can prep for to much wind. But hey its given us a passion now to chase these monsters and have already started looking at holiday options around the world to chase GTs.
Team Assassin

follow us at:

Charles Cintron

• Red Bass
  • Waianae, Hawaii
  • Liked:
Seems like a cool trip too bad you guys got sick. Don't see too many ladies out there popping she's a keeper.

Aloha
GT FIGHT CLUB

Aaron Levien

• Fusilier
  • Team Assassin
  • Liked:
Haha where is the LIKE Button mate?

SHe loves all kinds of fishing. But when it comes down to it, she loves her chassing her NZ Kingfish on Jigs and Stickbaits. When we hit Raro she was dedicated to making something stick for GT's.

But its okay, we are already in the process of selecting 1 of these charters to get or GT fix:

Ocean Active
GT Fishers, or
NOMAD Aus

Team Assassin

follow us at:

Chrislocke

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
Really well written report! Thanks!