Andrew Colefax

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
For a good lower option check out the Majorcraft stuff. I have an Offblow 710LC 7'10" pe4-6 60-100g max 8kg drag. I find those ratings pretty spot on. I run pe5 and it casts and works poppers and stickbaits in its stated range well. Great build quality and fittings (Fuji M and K guides, double over bound) for the price

Dan Konig

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Thanks all

Seems like I'm spoilt for choice!

Of all of the options suggested I think the Temple Reef is the only one I'll be able to load up locally, so might have a look at that and see if I like it. If not - back to the drawing board!

Dan

Ian Cook

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hi Dan,

I recently bought myself a Daiwa Saltiga S-Exteme 80TN for working stickbaits and light poppers with a Catalina 5000H running PE5 for Sydney kings and tuna. I paid less than $400 for the 80TN brand new at a shop here in Sydney and as value for money it is a nice stick. It has full Fuji SiC "K" guides, loads well with plenty of low down power.

It is rated at PE6 and to cast lures between 30-100gms and does, but I find it at its best with 40-80gms.

More food for thought.

Cheers,

Ian

Joey Tun

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
I can't speak directly for STK78HH, but I've been using STK 76H for a few years. The STK76H tip is a bit stiff for lighter stick baits and works better for poppers. For a PE5 rod, it is a pretty stubborn little rod to load fully. Strong rod for sure.
If you are gonna fish more sticks than poppers Blue Sniper or something similar with lighter tip may work better. (I personally love the Blue Sniper!)
Also if I'm not wrong, STK78HH seems more PE6 rod than PE5.

Dan Konig

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Thanks for all the input guys.

In the end I decided to go for the Carpenter BC75MHS, which I'm expecting to receive tomorrow.

I'm hoping it ticks all the boxes that I want it to, but am confident it will! Will post a report after my Eiao trip in a 2 weeks.

Cheers

Dan