Matt Kris

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Tyrnos 12 jigging?
November 18, 2013, 06:11:46 PM
G'day,

I'm planning my first live aboard offshore trip at the moment and am wondering if anyone on here has used the Tyrnos 12's jigging?

I've got one I've used for a season as a back up reel live baiting and am wondering if it will do. Its caught some good fish and coped pretty well considering I loaded it with pe8 and mainly fished it at sunset. Most fish were 20kg plus and aside from the drag washers flaking apart as they're known for its been sweet.

If I just replace drag washer and put a longer handle on it should it be up to jigging for a few days? Mainly using 200-300g jigs for kings. Average size fish approx 15kg but often 20 or so fish a session when its on and 30kg not overly uncommon.

Any advice appreciated, I don't know bugger all about jigging and will livebait a lot of the time but am keen to get onto my first fish jigging, just don't want a reel shitting itself when I'm in the middle of nowhere.

Cheers,
Matt.

Dan Konig

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Re: Tyrnos 12 jigging?
November 18, 2013, 06:49:36 PM
Hey Matt

Personally I wouldn't recommend the Tyrnos 12 as a jigging reel.

The issues with it are mainly the weight and the retrieve speed, but I suppose if you don't get tired quickly and don't mind winding like a demon (and can put up with the clicking noise they make on retrieve) then I guess you could give it a go!

Nothing against the Tyrnos, I've had them in size 10 (for makkie trolling) size 20 (for 15kg trolling) and size 50 (for 24kg trolling) but they are not an ideal jigging reel.

A Talica 12 would be a better option, but yeah you could make do wiht the Tyrnos if need be.

Matt Kris

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 18, 2013, 07:02:25 PM
Cheers for the reply Dan!

Yeah the talica 12 seems the go with longer handle, just prefer not to spend the cash if not needed.

I reckon line retrieve per crank on a tyrnos 12 is actually more than a Jigging Master pe5/6.

If anyone on here has used them jigging it would be great to hear how they've gone.

Cheers,
Matt.

Matt Kris

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 22, 2013, 03:11:02 PM
...car seems its shat itself again so looks like I'll be stickin with the Tyrnos.

For those interested, there are two main issues with these - aside from these easy fixes they are really really hard to beat for the money.

1. The washers are a poor quality (like most reels) and require replacing after not too long. $15 easy fix for a carbontex washer.

2. The screw that holds the drive gear onto the drive shaft used to come undone meaning the handle would fall out. Shimano aus have apparently fixed this, just a bit of lock tight/araldite and they don't come off. Doesn't hurt to double check when servicing.

Part 808 in both single and 2 speed schematics:

http://schematics.planetseafishing.com/downloads/shimano/multiplier/tyrnos-series/tyrnos-tyr-12%282008%29.pdf

http://schematics.planetseafishing.com/downloads/shimano/multiplier/tyrnos-series/tyrnos-tyr-12-ii%282008%29.pdf

Aside from the odd complaint of corrosion (easily prevented with inox) and this is all I've found anyone's complained about with recent models of what otherwise seems a really well built reel. I'll be putting a longer handle and new drag washer in next service and see how it goes. Hope this thread helps someone else out that can't quite throw the cash at a Talica or similar.

Cheers,
Matt.

Peter Kim

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
December 16, 2013, 04:07:43 AM
If you are dead set on a lever drag reel, the blue heaven, accurate, and avets are brands you should consider as well.  The tyrnos and torsas are super heavy and have an annoying click when you are reeling as well.

Sean Costello

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 16, 2013, 11:07:28 PM
Biggest issue in jigging with a tyrnos is the lack of a one-way bearing to stop the backwards movement in the handle, tyrnos has anti reverse dogs(the clicking noise). The backwards movement in the handle will drive you nuts while jigging, personally i wouldnt bother trying with it.

Sean

Matt Kris

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 28, 2014, 01:36:19 AM
Yep the anti reverse ended up being the pain. I tried jigging deep schools of tuna with it but ended up using my 4500z saltiga instead.

Trolling it was great though. Got about a dozen tuna 15-25kg on the tyrnos spooled with 65lb tuffline on a saltiga 55b deep. Had the cam done up as much as it would go without loosing free spool and the reel didn't skip a beat even when running it at sunset (running one rod each with 2 people in the boat, double hook ups one after another so wanted to land em quick haha).

Definitely not suited to jigging but a reliable mid priced live baiting/trolling reel.

Cheers