Guy Durham

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hawaii
October 29, 2013, 07:14:17 PM
I'm off to Hawaii for my honeymoon at the end of this week and will be there for approx 2 weeks.  First stint in Honolulu, and then the rest on Maui (West Maui).As it is my honeymoon i need to tone back the fishing a bit but I'm not letting it go completely  ;D

I would love assistance on the following:
  • Tackle stores that i should go and visit
  • GOOD fishing charters either GT specific or even just large game fish.  I'm a GT fanatic but the girl finds it hard work so she may prefer a game charter
  • Places i can find good carvings or art pieces of GT's or at least spectacular versions of other fish
  • Anything else that is a MUST DO for a first timer to these islands

On the first stop i may hire a motorbike but ostensibly i would prefer things close by just in case i decide not to get one.  On Maui i have a car so can go anywhere.

Of course if anyone lives there and wants to take me (and maybe the wife) fisihing, that would be amazing  8)

Thanks folks.
When people hear hoof beats, they think "Horses"
When I hear hoof beats.  I think "Zebra's" :)

Nathan Tsao

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Re: Hawaii
October 31, 2013, 06:07:10 AM
Hi Guy, there are NO GT specific charter operations in all of Hawaii. Best bet would be to contact forum member Charlie Cintron on Oahu.
Again, there are no good tackle shops in Hawaii that carry GT gear. We have to buy almost everything online.

For GT related souvenirs you can definitely find plenty of good stuff though. When you are on Oahu, try and look up "Gyotaku by Naoki". He does some excellent fish printing work of GT's and other local fish, his stuff is a must see! You'll probably also be able to find some carvings of GT out of Koa wood, and also many styles of fish hooks carved from bone, shell, and wood.

THis time of year is typically our "off season" for GT fishing. The shoreline fishing can be extremely poor for GT's right now, but Charlie will be able to find plenty of bites from the boat if he is available. You can also contact Nervous Waters Flyfishing and try for a shot at some MONSTER bonefish on the flats!

Charles Cintron

• Red Bass
  • Waianae, Hawaii
  • Liked:
November 08, 2013, 05:53:57 AM
Howzit Guy,

haven't been on here for little while, are you in Hawaii now? you can drop me an email [email protected]. If our schedule matches up maybe we can do some popping things have been a little slow lately as the winter swells start rolling in.

Aloha,

Charles
GT FIGHT CLUB

Charles Cintron

• Red Bass
  • Waianae, Hawaii
  • Liked:
November 08, 2013, 05:57:10 AM
When your on Oahu check out the Aloha Stadium flea market on the weekends and wednesday. Lots of wood carvings and you can bargain with the vendors.
GT FIGHT CLUB

Simon Bomholt

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 08, 2013, 08:45:52 AM
Charles when is the top season in Hawaii
Greetings
Simon

Charles Cintron

• Red Bass
  • Waianae, Hawaii
  • Liked:
November 08, 2013, 04:36:36 PM
Spring through Fall for the GT's but we catch them year round. Our winter season waves get big here but you can still catch them.
GT FIGHT CLUB