Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ashmore Reef - Nomad Sportfishing
November 23, 2013, 09:58:09 AM
This was a trip that has been some 2.5 years or more in the planning. I first spoke with Damon Olsen about the possibility of a remote trip to the far north east corner of the barrier reef and I left it with him. His proposal was Ashmore Reef. From there, it was some two years in the planning as getting the Odyssey out there as well as the logistics for getting the customers there proved to be quite challenging. Anyway, I felt it would be good to take our club, the Monster Class Anglers, away to a really remote location for one of our annual trips.

2 years passes quickly and before we knew it, we were gathering in Cairns. On the trip were myself, Malcolm Crane, George Pang, Kasey Leong, Sam Lee, Martin Exel, Patrick Coldwell, Neville Haglund, Steve Callus, Tony Fowler, Shaun Raymond and Phil Bellamy. Our guides for the week were Nick, Chad, Tim and Jason.

It is quite a journey to Ashmore - it involved a flight to Cairns and then a flight to Horn Island and then a flight to Yorke Island and then a long drive in the Odyssey. We stayed overnight at Yorke Island in the delighful Lowatta Lodge and then took over two days as we fished our way to Ashmore Reef. I'd describe the fishing from Yorke to Murray Island and along the amazing looking hard edge outside Murray as good without being exceptional. we caught the usual mix of fish you would expect in those areas - GTs, red bass, jobfish, spanish mackeral (plague proportions of them), bloody sharks (plague proportions of these too). There were plenty of GTs with the odd stonker coming up but noone had any luck on landing one of these.

On the morning of day three, we made the run across to Ashmore Reef. Everyone was full of anticipation and when we got there, well, I suppose it would be fair to say we were a pretty deflated lot that evening. We found current, we found bait but we also found that excepting the sharks that were there is absolute plague proportions, we found little else. A few GTs were landed but by and large, the GT population were nowhere to be found. I suggested to my boat that we go toss smaller lures on the flats and we had a great time for the last sixty minutes but nothing could overcome a real sense of deflation that we had come so far for so little. I actually felt terrible that night - I had pushed for a highly remote location and Damon had found one with two more groups to come after us and the place had fished like a desert.

Anyway, that evening, my guide for the next day, Tim Baker said we have a plan for tomorrow and he seemed confident. Day four saw us up early in the searing heat and we were off. We found heaps for fusiliers near the Odyssey and before long, we were into the GTs. We landed about ten GTs in very short time but I was disappointed to lose a huge fish after we had gotten ourselves into a good position after chasing the fish for a few hundred metres. The fish would have spooled me if we had not given chase. We then made a long run to another location where Jason had reported seeing a mobile bommie of GTs. Before we even got a cast in, we sighted birds in the distance and we were off chasing yellowfin. This was one of the highlights of the trip! In a short session, we landed ten fish ranging from around 20-40kg. I unfortunately had a very big fish that looked about 60kg sharked just under the boat by a huge oceanic white tip. The fish had got me down to the metal where I had about ten metres of line left before I managed to stop it!

After the mayhem of the yellowfin, we moved to another location where we GTs started coming on board very regularly. Still, that gave little sign of what was about to happen. As we were about to boat a GT, we saw it was being trailed by a couple of others and then looking down, we realised that there were actually a school of maybe a hundred or more GTs under the boat. About the same time, two of the other boats turned up and it was on. There were mobile bommies everywhere. I have no idea how many GTs there were in that locations but it would have had to number in the thousands.

I can't really do justice by describing what happened that afternoon. The GTs were on to the point where it was ridiculous. There were times when all nine anglers in the three boats were hooked up at the same time.

During the mayhem, we managed to land the odd dogtooth. Neville landed a very good fish on his light outfit. I had a huge fish of about 70-80kg launch itself completely out of the water some 15-20m away from me and land on top of my popper. Unfortunately, it did not hook up but on the next cast, I hooked up onto another flying dogtooth which went deep and almost spooled me. some 15 minutes later, I got my biggest lure caught dogtooth to the boat. The fish was extremely distressed and we swam it for some fifteen minutes before Tim managed to successfully spear it back to a depth where the fish was able to swim off steadily. I don't believe in taking dogtooth or any tuna I intend to release out of the water as they are so exhausted already so I am hoping that the guys in the other boats were able to get a decent photo.

George found himself hooked to a massive GT in the middle of the session. He fought it to the point of exhaustion before the fish unfortunately found the bottom. We actually left the fish biting at the end of the day. I was so physically spent that i actually did not fish the last hour of the day so I spent it typing knots for George and Shaun who were being busted off continually!

The most amazing day's fishing in my life. Our boat caught some 80+ GTs not to mention the yellowfin, my dogtooth and the odd reefie that got into the action. It wasn't until the end of the day that I realised how close I had come to the fabled LBP trifecta for a day - that is, a 50kg GT, a 50kg yellowfin and a 50kg dogtooth.

The next day, we were out in the same location. The GTs were still there although not quite as active as the previous day. Still, if we had wanted to concentrate on those, I expect we could have had a fifty GT day. Two of the boats went exploring where Malcolm found himself hooked to one of the biggest GTs he had ever seen. the fish laughed at him, destroyed him and swam off happily! The other two boats concentrated on dogtooth. Patrick Coldwell managed to land himself a monster after it took a lure he was trolling on his jigging outfit. Steve finally managed to bag a decent fish on the jig late in the day and the rest of the guys spent their day retying jigs after being wasted time and time again. I managed to hook another big dogtooth on a popper but this time, the fish headed straight down and wasted me.

Well, before you know it, you're at the last day. Excepting one boat, the rest of us decided to focus on GTs. We found the aggregation again and landed a heap but interestingly enough, a number of us wanted to go fish for GTs away from the aggregation where it was "real" fishing. Another great day although it was comparatively quiet when we got back and fished the hardline around Murray Island. The guys that had gone jigging for dogtooth were completely destroyed!

Overall, an amazing trip primarily driven by one day. We had unbelievably good weather for the duration of our trip which is an essential for Ashmore Reef. Ashmore will be a once-of for our club. We got incredibly lucky with the fishing by finding the breeding aggregation of GTs and we got damn lucky with the weather. If the weather blows up to fifteen knots, it would be horribly uncomfortable at Ashmore. It it blew up to 20 knots or more, it is not a place I want to be.

For those of you who are thinking of booking for this trip, I really need to emphasise we got lucky. Don't expect 80 GTs days because that is a ridiculously unrealistic expectation. You can however, expect that there will be periods of very solid fishing but be prepared to lose a lot of gear to sharks.

I have added some photos from the trip but to be honest, I hardly took any myself. The other guys who went may add a few more. I have decided that unless there are good reasons to do so, I try to avoid boating a fish for the sake of a photo. To remove an exhausted fish from the water significantly reduces its chances of survival and in a trade-off between maximising its chances of survival and a photo for me, the former wins out. We did have a professional cameraman filming the trip so Nomad may well release a DVD at some point.

Anyway, one of the best trips I have ever done. My thanks to Damon and Nomad for making this possible and special thanks to Tim and Jason for specially coming out for our group. I really appreciated it, guys. Finally, thanks to my guys for making it such a memorable trip.

If it swims; I want to catch it!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Re: Ashmore Reef - Nomad Sportfishing
November 23, 2013, 11:11:01 AM
Fantastic report mate. You've been waiting awhile for a trip like this!

Such variety and solid fish to boot!

I remember flying over Ashmore last month and hoping the Philippines cyclone fallout wouldn't play havoc!

Titahi brown

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 23, 2013, 11:29:22 AM
Nice write up Brandon, I am lucky to get to fish Yorke, Darnley and murray ocassionally as I live in the Torres straits. I think that like any place  Ashmore can fire, having done a bit of Deckie work with Bob Wallenburg, who I gather pioneered sportfishing charter trips out to Ashmore  from the lodge on yorke. He spoke very fondly of the place and it's abillity to turn on the fishing at times.
 You defnitly need to hit it at the start of the wet, as being out there when the trades are blowing wouldnt be pleasant.

Ryan Keith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
November 23, 2013, 02:42:36 PM
 :o Sounds like Ashmore delivered about as much as you could have hoped for... except, perhaps, mega monster GTs that swim away from the reef (and don't get sharked). Seems they were there though!

Brandon, please share details of the blood sacrifice you must have made to Mother Nature, so I can attempt to replicate your trip  ;D. I'm sure you'll agree you were incredibly 'lucky' to witness a spawning event in the calmest conditions, but I reckon good luck is a just reward for hard work and planning! Perhaps it's fishing karma.

What a difference a day makes!
If it ain't topwater... quite frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 23, 2013, 03:37:02 PM
The blood sacrifice is simple - that was my 20th week at sea with Nomad!
I''d caution people about getting too seduced by the thought of the mobile bommies/breeding aggregations though. My experience in the past is you'll pull a few fish and it's all over. They get spooked and go off the bite completely. This was the first time I have experienced where they did not get spooked at all.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 23, 2013, 05:42:01 PM
Truly the stuff of legend.

Huge congratulations to everyone involved in this trip.

Still trying to get my head around 3 people landing 80 GTs in one day, plus by-catch.  I just can't comprehend that!

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 23, 2013, 06:09:11 PM
I was so physically exhausted after the dogtooth I didn't fish the last hour  :'(

Tony Warnett

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 23, 2013, 06:39:55 PM
Awesome Brandon!
Your Hands would have been hanging around your ankles after that stretching of Eighty GT's and associates.

Stephen Callus

• Fusilier
  • plan a trip to stay a live
  • Liked:
November 23, 2013, 11:13:01 PM
how about the gear   carnage it truly got a workout my Smith Nirai 55 just exploded from a large doggie, poor Patrick komodo dragon broke at the butt, Philis G-loomis in half and a prototype rod in the three places, George and Kasey having guides ripped off dew to the share force of the fish in total 6 broken rods and Kasey dog fight drag knob melting into the spool and i think he also had a rotor bent from a doggie. Martin braking 4 diawa Saltiga and the he borrowed a stella from Nomad after a few casts that too had a problem with the braid biting into it self.  what a trip
plan a trip to stay a live

Jeen Raj

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 24, 2013, 02:42:27 AM
Great stuff Brandon. very good fish caught. Also another pioneering special like the one of Lukes in PNG. Incredible to see so many good looking spots north of Darwin and PNG, pristine, to say the least.

Jeen

Doug Lindsay

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
November 24, 2013, 03:29:19 PM
Just amazing! How anybody could physically handle that many GTs in a day is beyond me! Awesome :)

Bertrand Picarda

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
November 24, 2013, 08:33:00 PM
Sounds like the Olympic Games of GT fishing ! 80 GTs in one day...how you guys survived that ? You must have been in top conditions, that' s like no rest in between fish ( and they all look big) for several hours non stop. Better than any gym club :-) Well done and great respect for unhooking a large doggy in the Water without boating it, this is something we should all consider doing, bravo.

Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 24, 2013, 09:51:01 PM
I would add that 80 GT's in one day, for each boat (and all three boats would have got about that) was really without even trying. I believe some of us just gave up towards the end, or took our own (slow) time between landing fish / tying knots / having a cool drink.

Sometimes we just sat back and watched other anglers catch fish!

In fact, a very rare situation where I hoped the GTs would get out of the way for the Dogtooth.

How's that? But don't expect this every trip!

Behind a trip like this is countless hours of bad weather, fish not being on the bite, fish not being successfully located.... you could fish for decades before such an experience would come along

I just want to thank the many kind people who gave me the chance to be involved, and for the excellent company on board.
Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 10:02:27 PM by Kasey Leong
Watashi wa kawaii scon class hetadesu bakadesu JooNya Poop Poop

Kasey Leong

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
November 24, 2013, 10:01:44 PM
Save the terribly inconsiderate angler who (fortunately) I only had to fish with on the first day.

I absolutely blame him for me catching DONUT on the one black day of the trip.

Took up all the front space of the casting deck, kept distracting me while I was fishing/casting and was physically abusive as well.  ;)
Watashi wa kawaii scon class hetadesu bakadesu JooNya Poop Poop

Neville Haglund

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
November 25, 2013, 05:55:34 PM
For me it was not only the quality of the fishing but the quality of the anglers I was fortunate enough to fish with.Learnt so much both with popper retrieval and swimming Gammas and standard Stickbaits etc.
Obviously the high light for me in addition to my PB GT was landing a 45kg Doggie on a PE4 rod,a 4500 reel, spooled with 30lb Braid.Honestly believe having a 6metre leader was an advantage be it only 60lb.Reckon it acted like a "bungie " cord.
Thanks Brandon,
If you ever decide to do another Unknown I'm IN.
Pop it, pop it, rip it, rip it, eat it, eat it, tight line, FISH ON, YES!