Peter Finnis

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hello and Introduction
November 25, 2013, 02:10:58 AM
Hello all, this is by way of an introduction. First and foremost, I'm an avid and widely travelled international fly fisher based in the UK so why am I joining a GT popping site?

Well, I've just returned from a week in Cuba on the Jardines De La Reina islands - fantastic fly fishing for bonefish and tarpon. However, while there, a couple of french anglers were enjoying incredible sport every day with huge cubera snapper and black grouper on GT poppers and stickbaits. Also, when fly fishing the shallows, it was evident that there were huge numbers of jacks, snappers and cuda - perfect for lighter tackle.

On my next trip, I'll take spinning/popping gear to experience some of this topwater sport. Now I need to learn about this form of fishing and the best gear and lures needed so I'm hoping that I may pick up some tips and advice from the guys on this site. If there are any fly guys out there, I'd be happy to help with information on gear and destinations as well.

I'm really buzzed about learning these techniques and hope you will all graciously put up with a few questions from time to time! So, thank you in advance and hopefully as I learn and experience this branch of the sport I'll feel qualified to share thoughts and experiences in the future.

Regards
Peter
Regards
"Big Pete"

Simon Bomholt

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Hello and Introduction
November 25, 2013, 02:37:12 AM
Hi and welcome.
Where did you fish in cuba.? Those cubera sounds interesting
Greetings
Simon

Peter Finnis

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
Re: Hello and Introduction
November 25, 2013, 03:13:55 AM
Hi Simon, I was fishing from the boat La Tortuga in JDR run by the Avalon company. I was fly-fishing the flats. The spinning guys were picking up the cuberas over reefs in just 5 to 15metres of water on big poppers and PE10 outfits - some of these fish were definitely 40kg plus!
Regards
"Big Pete"