Brandon Pope

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Yucatan GT knot
December 09, 2013, 02:36:29 PM
This is my first attempt at tying this knot. Please take a look and give me some feedback. I am using JB Hollow and 200 Varivas to practice. Does this look bulky or loose?

I'm using 10 turns.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Yucatan GT knot
December 09, 2013, 02:44:06 PM
If you are casting through the guides, I do not think that will work.  The tied mono leader is too bulky.  If you are using a short leader and the knot stays outside the tip guide, then should be OK.

As for the integrity of the knot.. no idea really as it is not one I have used.

Brandon Pope

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 09, 2013, 02:54:14 PM
Attempt number 2. 4 turns with mono and 12 wraps around loop.

Brandon Pope

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 09, 2013, 02:59:37 PM
If you are casting through the guides, I do not think that will work.  The tied mono leader is too bulky.  If you are using a short leader and the knot stays outside the tip guide, then should be OK.

As for the integrity of the knot.. no idea really as it is not one I have used.

Thanks Mark for the quick reply Mark.
The leader will be outside the guides (1.2m). As for integrity, I am using the knot Nick mentioned he uses in Oman. It is simple and quick, which is something I am lured by considering I will be changing leaders on rocking small boats while in Socotra. 

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 09, 2013, 03:31:02 PM
Brandon,

It's not right. I'll post some pics later, when I get home from work.

Regards,

Trev

Brandon Pope

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 09, 2013, 05:02:43 PM
Much appreciated.

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
December 09, 2013, 05:25:53 PM
Hi Brandon, as Trev said definatly not right. I think you are trying to do a mix between a Yucatan and a Slim Beauty. Trev will post a few pics as he has become a machine tying the Yucatan. I have used this set up for over 10 years in Oman and this region and works very well for the conditions as a short leader casting the knot from outside the top guide. There are varous benefits of all knots but the main benefits of using the short leader set up are casting distance, no guide wraps, less wind knots and no damage to the braid above the knot from braid and leader going different speeds through the guides. The main arguement agaisnt this knot is that the leader is short and the GTs scutts on the tail will hit the braid and break off, but this has not happened once in 10 years to me so don;ronsider it a problem, other problem is that you have to be able to cast with a long drop back from the top of the rod. I think for your Socotra trip for heavy gear is well worth the try.

A quick outline of how I tie the Yucatan Set up:
- If you use hollow braid then splice a loop at the end of your braid with the braid going back on itself at least 50cm. The loop should be about 2-3cm long, if you tying single strand then I tie a 27 turn bimini with a loop about 15cm long.
- Take your mono leader and hold your finder inside the braid loop under some tension from the braid coming out of your rod tip. Then wrap the mono leader around the loop and up the braid 5 times, DON'T put the leader through the loop, you only wrap the leader up and around the loop.
- Once you have wrapped 5 turns up the leader around the loop then wrap 3 wraps back down the loop towards the leader end.
- Now only do you put the tag end of the leader through the loop.
- Wet the leader and loop for easy setting and not to burn or damage the braid.
- At this stage I slightly seat the knot by pulling the knot by hand till it starts to twist.
- This knot you have to use PE Pullers. You keep tension on the knot by holiding both ends and wrap the PE Pullers and give a firm and consistent pull with the PE pullers on both the mono and braid.
- The knot will twist into about 3-4 tight wraps around the braid and you are ready to go. Just make sure that the two lengths of the loop are equal. Burn the tag end so no sharp edges to damage the braid. The good part is you also have an automatic double line and shock absorber at the top of your leader to reduce break offs.

Hope this helps and makes sense, once you get this knot sorted you can tie it on a boat in under 2 mnutes so makes for easy tying and getting lures back in the water when fishing is good.

Cheers,
Nick

Brandon Pope

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 09, 2013, 06:21:37 PM
It makes perfect sense Nick. I tie the same knot all the time minus the back 3 turns. I also make 8 initial turns instead of 5. Nevertheless, here is the one I just tied using your instructions without pullers. It's an easy knot to begin to seat, but I'll need the extra help to finish with pullers using 250lb mono. The heaviest I use in the States is 200lb and 150lb is typical for my purposes.

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 09, 2013, 06:33:16 PM
Brandon,

It's starting to look like it but should be much tighter and the tag end of the leader sits out at 90 degrees to the 'barrel' (just re-read your post, hand tightened explains the lack of seating, sorry) 

Here's a reasonable diagram I found.

http://www.leadertec.com/tipsandtechniques/fishing_knots/knots_yucatan.html

The basic difference between this diagram and Nick's description is that Nick brings the leader back around a couple of times before feeding it back through the loop created by the bimini. This helps get both lines moving in the right direction when the knot is tighten up. Don't be afraid to leave a reasonable amount of leader through the loop. Start to form the knot by hand but you will need knot pullers to seat it properly.

I'll post those photos later. 

Regards,

Trevor   
Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 06:35:36 PM by Trevor Skinner

Graham Scott

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 09, 2013, 09:09:06 PM
Looks the same as what is known locally as a "cairns quickly"?
Only problem I had was not pulling it tight enough

Nick Bowles

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
December 09, 2013, 09:35:56 PM
Graham same same knot, heard quite a few guys call it that. PE Pullers best friend for this one!

Mark Gwynne

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
December 09, 2013, 09:57:53 PM
I do it the way Nick does and it is much easier. Takes about 20 seconds.

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 09, 2013, 11:52:09 PM
Brandon,

Here's that photo. The braid is 100lb and the leader 220lb mono.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Trevor
Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 11:53:55 PM by Trevor Skinner

Brandon Pope

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 10, 2013, 03:35:12 AM
Here's round two. I used a wooden dowel as a puller.

Alex Jordan

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
December 10, 2013, 09:10:32 AM
Looking better!
After Nick showed me this knot I fish it religiously and even neater as I use hollowcore with a spliced loop in the braid - not me down yet!

Remember to blob the end of the leader and pull it a bit tighter with lots of saliva!!