Peter Finnis

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hook rigging idea - is it mad?
December 14, 2013, 03:48:59 AM
Hello all, I'm playing with ideas for rigging smaller (60 to 80g) topwater lures with single hooks that are also bite resistant. I have an aversion to trebles and to free swinging exposed hooks when landing fish!

What I have in mind is a short assist hook using cable attached to the belly mount on the lure so that the large single hook would sit roughly between where the two trebles would normally be. My thinking is that the wire assist will resist toothy cutters and will enable the hook to be a little clear of the bulk of the lure body and the hook itself will be in the optimum position.

I'm sure this is not a new idea and feel free to say it's mad but any thoughts welcomed.
Regards
"Big Pete"

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Hook rigging idea - is it mad?
December 14, 2013, 01:18:12 PM
Can you do one up and post a photo?
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 14, 2013, 01:28:32 PM
Hi Peter

I think both the position of the hook and the need for wire or not depends a bit on which species you are targeting. I regularly use smaller lures with just one single hook but it is usually an assist from the towing point. And using kevlar and not wire.  The theory being that most of the predators I am targeting tend to strike at the head of the bait and therefore a free swinging single on a light cord attached to the tow point is most appropriate.

This will only work on some lures though. On others it kills the action completely.  Also the complete absence of any tail hook can really effect the action of a stick bait.  That's something to be aware of whether you are using a tow point assist or the rigging that you suggest.

One thing is for sure, getting rid of the two treble rigging will be both better for you when landing the fish, and more importantly, will cause less damage to the fish itself!
Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 01:34:35 PM by Mark Harris

Peter Finnis

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
December 14, 2013, 07:50:02 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I've attached a pic of a prototype, a bit basic but should illustrate what I have in mind. My targets are various jacks, snappers and groupers in Cuba but there are also lots of big barracuda and I don't thing normal assist chord will hold up to their teeth plus, as Mark says, a nose attached assist would be unsuitable for some lure types.

On the final versions my plan would be to use 175lb 49-strand cable crimped to owner solid ring and sj41 hook and a heavy duty split ring duty split ring on the lure.

Regards
"Big Pete"

Chris Rowbottom

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 18, 2013, 02:52:35 AM
sorry for my neive question:
why not skip the cord and go direct with 1-2 split rings?

Peter Finnis

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
December 18, 2013, 06:16:58 AM
Hi Chris, I wanted to get some separation from the hook to the lure to improve the hook-up rate and the hookhold. I just felt that the bulk of the lure body could otherwise obstruct a directly attached single hook.
Regards
"Big Pete"

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 18, 2013, 07:49:50 AM
Hi Chris, I wanted to get some separation from the hook to the lure to improve the hook-up rate and the hookhold. I just felt that the bulk of the lure body could otherwise obstruct a directly attached single hook.

Peter, I would not worry too much about the lure obstructing the hook, put a single on the belly with 1 split ring and the same on the tail, preferably point up, if you can get in line hooks like decoy sargent all the better, though they may be a bit light for Cubera. refer to attached photo, foul hooked on a single.
Set the ray to GeeT

Peter Finnis

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
December 18, 2013, 08:38:55 AM
Thanks Andy, yes to be fair I may be over-complicating things a bit. Two large singles with the rear one inverted looks straightforward and simple. I think that may be the way I go across my full range of tropical lures.
Regards
"Big Pete"

Peter Kim

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
December 18, 2013, 09:48:31 AM
I think more than likely a lot of your bite offs will be with your main leader material no?