Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Using crimps - advice please!!
April 05, 2007, 07:44:22 PM
Hi guys - I was wondering whether someone can give me some advice on using crimps. I know #$@#! about them. I am currently using crimps on the single strand of 330lb mono which sits at the end of my twisted leaders. Because the crimps are big (500lb ones), I need to use the crimp plier about four to five times to crush each crimp. I am leaving about 2mm on each end uncrushed.

The problem that I am having is that by the time I finish, the stupid crimp isn't straight any more. It is a little curved and I was wondering whether this has compromised the strength of the crimp and hence the connection. I have tested it and it is bloody strong (I can't break it without getting my whole weight against it).

The other thing I was wondering is whether I need to use two crimps or whether one is sufficient. I am using two at the moment but boy, the connection is scary big and while I am not concerned about poppers, I doubt I am keen on using stickbaits this way.

I'd really appreciate some advice, guys
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Using crimps - advice please!!
April 05, 2007, 08:48:05 PM
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 05, 2007, 10:02:51 PM
thanks for the advice, Greg. I'm using 330lb Sunline and I'm using Jinkai crimps. I have the 300lb and the 400/500lb ones. Unfortunately, the 300 ones are too small ad the 400/500 ones too big so I have to squeeze them down a bit. Is this a problem? The crimper I am using is a Black Pete. It is pretty heavy duty.

Should I go out to a shop and find a crimp that is a snug fit?

Hal Harvey

April 05, 2007, 10:15:47 PM
Brandon,

I reckon you need to find a better-size crimp - and maybe go down a size in leader. See if you can get a diameter on the material first - digital calipers for preference. Don't trust what's written on the packet, if anything. 330lb sounds like it's on the thick side of necessary to me.

I agree with Greg, three squeezes with a hand crimper should be all that is required, and as he has described. I personally like the 8-type sleeves (annealed copper) rather than aluminium, but have never had a problem with either. The 8-type are slimmer, is all.

How are you linking this material to the twisted leader?

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 05, 2007, 10:28:13 PM
thanks Hal

I'm currently doing a batch of leaders specifically for Shoalwater. I don't normally go so heavy but Shoalwater is shallow and very nasty down below with very big fish so I've upgraded the size of my leaders for this trip. I normally go with 200lb Varivas shock leader for the single strand.

The attachment between the twistie and the single strand of sunline is either by way of a crimp or I've also done a number up with a nail knot (on the sunline) and a uni-knot on the twistie. The only knot that I know that works with mono of this guage is a nail knot.

Neil Griffiths

April 10, 2007, 04:18:52 PM
G'day Brandon

I am a bit spoiled by having things like bench swagers at hand, it makes jobs like the ones your doing, dead easy.
The crimps will be right, you just have to squeeze like there's no tomorrow!!
A tip to make it easier is to press down on the tool with the bottom hand grip resting on a wooden surface like a cutting board, rather than squeezing it by hands alone.

Neil

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
April 10, 2007, 06:41:40 PM
thanks Neil - I have gotten a lot better at it since I got some practice in. I've continued to use two crimps for surety!