Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Carpenter GT-y Diablo
December 13, 2013, 02:52:25 PM
I was not sure whether to post this here or in the Carpenter sponsor forum. Luke or Brandon please feel free to move it if I chose wrongly.

It is hard to find any written confirmation of this anywhere but I was given to understand that the gamma diablo models had less finish on them with the theory that this provided a more sensitive and sharp swimming action (as if that was needed on a Gamma!  :D ).  Hence the notation "professional model" that is written on a diablo, I guess?

There will be many members here who are far more proficient with the subtleties of working stickbaits than me and I would love to hear their views on this. Most of the time I can't seem to really notice much of a difference.  But that might just be my clumsy technique.

A key difference that is noticeable to me is that the finish on a diablo is less durable than on a regular gamma.  And they are generally a bit cheaper of course :) .

I guess all this has been prompted by my own desire to re-stock some Gamma 160s and 140s and there seems to be an unusually large number of diablo models around at the moment.

I suppose what I am asking is whether my understanding as written above is correct?

Many thanks in advance for any views/information on this.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Carpenter GT-y Diablo
December 13, 2013, 04:08:10 PM
This is the right place for this question. No need for me to write much as you have summed it up pretty well.
The Diablos do have a slightly sharper action but realistically, I'd question how many would notice the difference. The fact that we tend to use really heavy leader and so many people use a split ring attachment only further compromises the action. If you go with 130lb leader and tie the lure straight on, you might notice some difference.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 13, 2013, 04:37:57 PM
Many thanks for confirming all that Brandon.

I am quite pleased that you think few will notice the difference in action with a GT fishing set up!  I was really thinking it may be my technique.

Leo Sorbello

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
December 14, 2013, 09:10:58 AM
Interesting write up Mark  :).

So Brandon from your application tying directly to the eyelet with say a four uni knot will give what difference ( more enticing or a harder to work it ? ).

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 14, 2013, 11:19:35 AM
It results in a marginally sharper action.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Sydney Neal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 14, 2013, 06:30:21 PM
Can someone post up a pic of a directly tied to the eyelet knot, as I myself am a split ring attachment person myself,
Cheers syd

Leo Sorbello

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
December 14, 2013, 07:09:24 PM
Thanks Brandon :)....got it now.

Sydney, just tie a four turn uni knot directly and tightly easy done with say 60 - 130lb for the Gamma's.

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 14, 2013, 07:09:45 PM
You can just use a normal knot Syd like a Uni or a Trilene ... very easy.  Same as tying to a swivel.

Sydney Neal

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 14, 2013, 08:01:40 PM
So its a direct tight knot? Not a loop style as in a barra lure knot?

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 14, 2013, 10:39:22 PM
You can leave a loop if you want to allow free lure movement but I don't think it makes much difference. 

A neat way of doing that is to use a nylon line protector/thimble and tie a uni knot to that.  Also gives you some protection from the tow point wire cutting into your leader.

Peter Kim

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
December 18, 2013, 09:53:46 AM
Syd- I was a split ring guy for a long time and then I started using fish clips.  Try searching tactical angler clips.  They look like paper clips but super strong.  Best part is you can change lures at the drop of a hat and you dont need split ring pliers or anything.