CliffKhoo

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Stickbait rod for PE6-8, advise needed
December 28, 2013, 03:06:17 AM
Ultimo 79MH will be a good choice, works excellent.

I'm using TBL 83/32 which works equally well. Guess it depends on how far do you need to cast your lures.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
December 28, 2013, 11:52:20 PM
Since Cubera 100 is included , EP85/36 should be in consideration , imho .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Jason Haack

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
January 11, 2014, 06:39:32 PM
Thanks to all for the advise, the response has been fantastic, ending up ordering the Ultimo 79MH through Richard from Xpedition tackle.

Cheers

Jason.

Tom Doyle

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
December 24, 2014, 11:36:00 AM
Hi Jason

How did the ultimo 79MH end up going ?

Have you ran it in yet?

Regards
Tom

Jason Haack

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
December 25, 2014, 04:10:32 PM
Most of my best fish for 2014 have been caught with this rod, excellent for stickbaits to 120g matched with a Stella 10000. It handles 25-30kg fish comfortably.
I mainly fish ASWB SS90's, FCL CSP S180S's, Patriot baby pats 220-90 and other sub surface lures to 100g. The local Dampier GT's prefer slightly smaller stickbaits once the sun is high in the air so it's perfect for my local conditions.

Regards,

Jason.

Jay Kim

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
February 17, 2015, 12:26:57 AM
Great read, sorry to bring the thread back up I too am on the market for a PE6-8 stickbait rod with height not really not an issue.

I have read up on the Temple Reef Ronin 83/8 and Hots Gipang 83H, has anyone had experience with these sticks? Pairing with an Expedition 5500h and for stickbaits from 90-150grams.

Not too keen on Carpenter prices unless I can find one cheap, but open to all suggestions for now.
Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 12:59:03 AM by Jay Kim

Felix Lux

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 26, 2015, 11:01:11 AM
Hey guys, I would like to bring this very informative thread up once again, asking for your opinion please.
Also looking for a PE6-8 (more PE8) rod primarily for about 90-140g stickbaits, to be used for larger Tuna (say 40-80kg), as well as medium size GT. 8ft and rod weight below 400g would be ideal.
Now I know that gentle slow tapered tuna rods are not well suited to deal with GT and fast GT rods with a stiff butt/middle section are not great to pull up a 60kg tuna circling below the boat...there should be a good compromise? On the list are:

RF Ultimo 79MH
Yamaga Blue Sniper Tuna 83/8
MC Works Explosion 827 risky area special
Race Point 150 blank
Black Devil 200 blank

MC Works EX827FX - has someone fished it? Specs would suit.
Is the Hot's 711 rod enough to handle PE8 and a 140g lure? Specs tell me not, but who knows...
What are your thoughts please? Is there other rods or blanks I should consider?

Any help much appreciated :)
Cheers Felix

Leo Sorbello

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
December 26, 2015, 08:09:56 PM
Hi Felix,

The Hots 711MH is not a PE8 rod...its a PE5-PE6 rod and lures of up to 100g is its sweet spot...

The RF Ultimo 79MH is a sweet rod and will certainly handle your rod weight wish and lure range for sure. I've seen this rod in action,,,and its nice and comfortable.

I reckon...from your details of GT's and Tuna weights your after....you should try take a look at the F-Stick GT80 Reversal NANO if my memory is correct. A friend of a mate of mine who owns a tackle shop has the latter rod and fishes around the Cook Islands and New Zealand and has advised me its really comfortable as a PE8 rod.

Tight lines Felix !.

Regards

Leo 

Felix Lux

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
December 27, 2015, 09:36:13 AM
Cheers Leo and merry Xmas!

The new Nano could be interesting in case it's a softer than the old 79 Reversal.
Got the Ultimo 88MH 18 months or so ago and it's a great rod, but would be a burden on a big tuna due to it's length and taper. Also a bit more butt power than the 79MH from what I hear. I'll be able to fish a mate's 79MH in May, so that should give a good indication...in the end I might get it anyway and then buy a dedicated tuna stick like a RF Big Tuna or Yamaga Blackie if it destroys my back hehe.

Although I'd really love to build a rod myself...the other option is ordering another customized CTS blank. That's a bit of a gamble, although it worked out great in the past once...options options...

Cheers,
Felix
Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 09:39:58 PM by Felix Lux

Leo Sorbello

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
December 27, 2015, 09:14:19 PM
Yes Felix....like wise Merry Xmas.

Yes, you have options from what your planning and testing eventually with also the option with the Yamaga Blackie.

Tight Lines and never give up, keep on casting  ;).

Regards

Leo

Glenn Waddle

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
December 29, 2015, 09:23:38 AM
Hi Felix
May I suggest that you look at Carpenter Endless Passion 85/36. It is a rod that I use for 100 to 140g swimbaits. It is a very easy to cast and work.
Cheers

Felix Lux

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 05, 2016, 11:00:58 PM
Hi Felix
May I suggest that you look at Carpenter Endless Passion 85/36. It is a rod that I use for 100 to 140g swimbaits. It is a very easy to cast and work.
Cheers

Thanks Glenn!

I fear it might not be suitable for larger Tuna much, since it's a GT rod (even though more on the soft side) and pretty long too, so it might be pretty hard to fight Tuna circling below the boat. Can you confirm this?

The more I think about it, the more I think two new rods in this line weight should be the order...one for GT, one for Tuna. The Ultimo 79MH would be ok still being quite short and not terribly fast actioned, but I don't think it will handle those angles you can fish dedicated Tuna rods with a bit more glass in the blank. It might be a good compromise.

Glenn Waddle

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
January 06, 2016, 12:37:55 AM
I am uncertain if it is suited for tuna. But I do believe it can handle a 30kg gt confidently.

Felix Lux

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
January 06, 2016, 03:41:07 AM
Thanks mate. Hopefully I get to check it out before I'll decide at some point in a few months.