Andrew Johnson

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Stickbait rods
June 05, 2008, 12:11:16 PM
Guys

I have a Carpenter WV80XH which I use for chuggers. I am very happy with this rod, however, I am not so sure that it is optimal for the 100-150g stickbaits that I usually use.

I'd be interested in the views of various experts in the forum about choices when it comes to stickbait rods. I am a reasonably big bloke (6'2" - 100kg), a long cast and generally fish PE8-10.

Look forward to your input!

Thanks

Andrew J

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Re: Stickbait rods
June 05, 2008, 02:40:04 PM
Hi Andrew ,

While WV80XH is not designed for stickbait works but it still can be used for bigger stickbait weighing 125 gr.+ , TBL series rods are designed specifically for stickbait works , the lightest one TBL80/20RF is for stickbaits weighing 60 gr.+ , the TBL80/30RF SHP  and  the TBL711/35RF are for working stickbaits weighing 100 gr.+ . The latest Carpenter rods for stickbait / popper works are CV series and they come in 2 version , CV79/35RF and CV79/40RF SHP which some of the members of this forum have used and came back with fully satisfied note .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 05, 2008, 03:58:52 PM
Jon is spot on with the Carpenters as we would expect!

Can I say, stickbait rods are designed specifically for surface stickbaits. The softer tips which are so important in imparting the action into surface stickbaits are less important for sub-surface stickbaits.

In fact, the maker of the most famous sub-surface stickbait of them all, Eric le Guyader tends to fish his stickbaits with a stiff tipped rod.

The Coral Viper 79/40 and TBL 711/RF35 are both fine for stickbaits up to the 150g mark but beyond this, it is hard work for the rod.

The WV is good for big stickbaits, especially huge Bigfoots.

I would suggest that unless you really want to fish surface stickbaits that you don't really need a stickbait rod.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 05, 2008, 07:23:07 PM

From the point of view dedicated GT fishermen , stickbaits catch more
" colateral " fishes than chuggers and that is why stickbaits become very popular and the developments of the rods are toward multi purpose one based on line rating necessity targeting other species in one location  or other locations .

Not everybody has the mean to own outfits for each task thus I believe CV series is an attempt by Carpenter to address this issue and with CV79/40RF SHP for PE 6~8 and CV79/35RF for PE6 n below , in my opinion 90% of the GTs can be subdued using these 2 rods while the 10% may need stronger rods .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .