Dayne J-W

shimano S8208 Long Cast?
June 04, 2008, 09:31:14 PM
G'day guys,

I was looking around and came across a rod called a "caranx Kaibutsu long cast" rated PE 6-8 that is made by shimano which i can pick up for a pretty good price for what it appears to be. it is an international model but i was wondering if anyone has used this rod befor and could give me some feed back on it ??? ???

would be much appreciated :) :) :)

Thanks Dayne

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: shimano S8208 Long Cast?
June 04, 2008, 10:11:02 PM
Dayne, the Caranx Kaibatsu range is not an Australian model. t was designed for the SE Asian market. I haven't used the rod myself but those people with experience with them seem to have been happy with their purchases. The butts on the rods are designed to be quite long which I find uncomfortable.

A couple of our members here have them so maybe they would be kind enough to provide their feedback on the rods.

If it swims; I want to catch it!

Dayne J-W

June 05, 2008, 09:03:06 PM
Thanks for the info Brandon :) :) :) yeah i realise that there are desingned and for and produced in the asian market as i was advised about them by a contact in singapore which i will be visiting previouse to my upcoming trip to sumatra ;D

Zeck Lim

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 05, 2008, 09:52:44 PM
Dayne, I do not have one, but a couple of mates do and they loved the Longcast. For the price, they cant be beat. They used 100-130gm poppers and they launched a mile with the poppers. When fighting the fish, the rod had also plenty of power.

the only thing which you need getting used to is the butt length as Brandon brought up. Both of my mates had the butts shortened by a rod builder.

Chris Leong

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 05, 2008, 11:37:19 PM
Z,

I dun think I'm shortening my rod butt la. Its works fine with a lower mount belt like the Braid or JM. Cast like a dream without compromising on leverage!

120g is still a little on the light side for this rod, I guess a 150g popper(with hooks) would reli load this rod reli well and cast beyond the century mark. Was casting it with a Stella 8000FA, alot of people would advise to match this rod with at least a 6000GT or the 10000FA. I'm going to try it with the Safari with I'm bringing to our March trip.

A little observation thou, the tip is a little too stiff to work a stickbait well. Could not get the stickbait to swim like walking the dog. Want to try a sinking swimbait the next session.

Im pretty new to this, so do take all this rumbling with a pinch of salt!

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 05, 2008, 11:42:33 PM
The lower rod mount would do the trick. We discussed this in another thread where one of the designers of the rod was kind enough to come and explain the design principles.

A long butt is a matter of personal taste.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Dayne J-W

June 07, 2008, 09:08:25 AM
Thanks for the info guys good to know what im dealing with.

Bwanna Surya

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 07, 2008, 09:36:58 AM
Hey Dayne...when will you be in Sumatra?...I'll be going there myself end of June and I'll be at the top tip of the island...

Hon-Su Chin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 07, 2008, 09:38:01 AM
Ive got a Long Cast....well I did til I swapped it for something else. I used the rod last yr for landbase popping at Exmouth and it was great for casting, loads for power in the butt section. Yes it is stiff for all stickbaits but the heaviest.

Here's my brother hauling in one.

Dayne J-W

June 07, 2008, 11:16:31 AM
Hey Dayne...when will you be in Sumatra?...I'll be going there myself end of June and I'll be at the top tip of the island...

i'll be heading up there in 2 and a half weeks with a quick stop over in singapore and vietnam for a few days. chartering a boat for 15 days off nias island also off the top of sumatra to some smaller islands called the bunyuks and the hinakos. have you been to sumatra previousely?

Bwanna Surya

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 07, 2008, 04:41:22 PM
I've never been there....but few local keen GT fisherman will be coming a long with me...seems fishing will be around Aceh and Sabang Island.....