• Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 09:45:24 PM by Richard Ghalayini

Ian Cook

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hi Richard,

I have the Saltiga Expedition 85S-F PE8 50-160gm, which the 85XS is modelled off and like it very much.

The 85S-F is pretty much purely a stickbait rod and that's what I bought it for chasing tuna, kings and possibly GT's, even though Daiwa market as a popper rod as well, it will work smaller cup faced poppers to about 120gms max and pencil type poppers are no issue.

I 've had a play with a 85XS in a shop and it is a bit stiffer in the tip than my 85S-F, though the 300gm rating is quite a bit ambitious I think........150gm poppers maybe?? 200gm stickbaits max perhaps?

Nice looking stick all the same and a quality blank and components for the price is pretty good.

Cheers,

Ian

Richard Ghalayini

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Thank you for your input Ian as I'm going to do a bit more homework on what I really need as as in what length as 8'5" is quite a tall rod and would be harder to cast than a shorter rod like a 77 or 711. But I'll keep looking as my friend Leo Sorbello scouted out a wonderful Rod out for us suited for what I needed.

Ian Cook

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hi Richard,

No worries.

The longer lengths have their place when casting distance is a requirement, but the trade off is leverage against the angler.

We have a friend in common with Leo as I fish with him often and I think that we may have also met at some stage down at the shop where he spends way too much time  ;D.

I'm sure Leo will find you something suitable to your needs.........I'll be keen to here what he has planned for you, just don't let him lead you too far astray as he can get a bit excited with rod selection  :o.

All the best.

Cheers,

Ian

Richard Ghalayini

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hi Ian

Thanks mate we've met in the shop in the past twice was also a pleasure meeting you and was looking forward to catch up with you yesterday but Leo said I missed you by an hour all good mate next time.

I know Leo means very well pure gentleman no lying in him one of the most honest people ive ever met in my life he sees i have some fire passion in this wonderful GT world as he kind of talked us out of it with good intentions of course but what lured us to the Daiwa Saltiga Dogfight 85XS was its a ltd edition low numbered rod and a went over the rod to my eyes it was finished very nicely and the price was even better for a bargain of $500 shipped IMO that's pretty darn good for a PE 10 quality rod, others will tend to differ as Daiwas entry in the GT world of PE 10 rated rods but in some respect had a good friend of mine bought himself that jigging version of the rod and absolutely loved it and it's parabolic feel as I imagine the popping rod would have a great parabolic action and give the angler some comfort too he rated them up there as in jig rods as our Smith EX52 that we bought for our NZ king trip in 2012 truly happy as with that purchase.

Regards Richard
Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 03:32:30 PM by Richard Ghalayini

Ian Cook

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hi Richard,

Yes I thought so and I'm sure we'll bump into each other again down there one day.

I have no doubt Leo will find you just the right rod for your needs and he certainly does his research to find just the one you need no matter whether it is for bream, snapper, kings or GT's.

All the best,

Cheers,

Ian