Mark Stotesbury

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
hook size for stickbaits
June 29, 2008, 04:45:51 AM
Hi Guys
i know we may have had this topic before but as i have just recieved some stickbaits it would be relevant.I have a WAHOO 100 and want to rig singles [baker rig]for yellowfin in the 60kg - 90kg range .so what size hooks to use?i have 8/0-10/0 jobus ,sj41 7/0-11/0 ,sj51 7/0-9/0 ,gorilla 9/0.10/0.11/0 plus all the trebles sizes owner make, brandon maybe a sugestion????
 as always many thanks mark.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: hook size for stickbaits
June 29, 2008, 11:04:17 AM
Hi Mark

I can give you some suggestions on what hooks would go with the 100 sized wahoo but as far as tuna are concerned, I am an absolute novice. One of our members who has a lot of experience and expertise on tuna is Jon Li. Hopefully, he will read this post and make some suggestions.

For a 100 sized stickbait, you'd be looking at 9/0 to 11/0 SJ-41s for a Baker. It'd be the same with the Gorillas.
If you wanted to run singles, you'd probably be looking at an 8/0 Jobu. I don't personally like the Jobu as it sits too far back with a wahoo due to the swivel. You could also consider a Decoy Jigging Sargeant in 8/0.

For trebles, you could look at ST-66 4/0s or 5/0s. I'd personally go with the 4/0s, I think. I don't think you need to go to ST-76s for tuna.

That'd be about what I would think of, Mark. I'd again emphasise that I know almost nothing about stickbaiting for tuna. Any I have caught have been by-catches when fishing for GTs. It may be that other hooks are more suitable.
If it swims; I want to catch it!