Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Southern Kingfish Popping Stick?
July 02, 2008, 02:54:11 PM
Peter, a big factor for you is the casting distance you need for the headlands you fish. if distance is paramount, then the reality is you will struggle to find a compromise rod that will be good for a small boat as well as the shore.

The LR88 sorts of bridges that gap to a degree. There are a number of shore based GT rods that are available but these really are specifically shore based rod. I have a Ripple Fisher Inifnity myself which is ten feet long. There are also offerings from Medusa Custom Works, Zenaq and Fisherman which are in the ten feet to 11 feet category.

I have a LR88 myself and while it casts beautifully, there is a noticeable difference between that and what you can achieve with a genuine shore based rod. Of course, you can get away with the LR88 on a small boat whereas the shore based rods would get very unwieldy.

Thanks Brandon,

I'm actually looking for a boat only rod, I'll leave the rocks to the experts.  With regard to casting distance, the real issue is to be able to stand a way off a headland so as not to spook fish with the boat (they are not quite as active in the southern climates) and with regard to the bommies, we are often dealing with a two - three metre swell, where the impact zone can extend quite a way out from where you really wan't to place your lure.  Sometimes it can be a little hairy trying to get a boat into a reasonable casting position - and even more dangerous when you actually hookup!

I guess what I am really looking for is a rod that maximizes casting distance without becoming a pain to work the lure for a lengthy casting session.  It sounds like the LR88 may be a good compromise! I was originally seriously considering an SP80M.

Cheers.

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
July 02, 2008, 07:07:50 PM
Peter, how far south are you ?

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 03, 2008, 07:31:34 AM
Peter, how far south are you ?

Newcastle / Port Stephens Andrew.

Cold enough to be pretty quite on the surface and well south of the reef of course.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 03, 2008, 08:47:12 AM
if you're primarily fishing from a boat, I'd recommend the SP80M over the LR88. You'll get plenty of distance with the SP80M and its length is more manageable.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
July 03, 2008, 08:56:37 AM

Newcastle / Port Stephens Andrew.

Cold enough to be pretty quite on the surface and well south of the reef of course.

Still north of me in Sydney, and you get warmer water and more variety than us down here...These westerlies are killing me at the moment. Plenty of good spots for you to target off from a boat.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 03, 2008, 10:28:00 AM
Andrew, I thought the Westerlies would be good for you?
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
July 03, 2008, 04:02:44 PM
Nope,westerlies suck generally.....they flatten the sea out but it becomes crystal clear and hard work.They are good for drummer and groper fishing, but not for pelagic action off the rocks.

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 03, 2008, 05:38:58 PM
Nope,westerlies suck generally.....they flatten the sea out but it becomes crystal clear and hard work.They are good for drummer and groper fishing, but not for pelagic action off the rocks.

I'm with you Andrew, Westerlies suck, No swell, too clear in close and too rough out wide!

Nothing but jackets and salmon up this way anyway at the moment anyhow!

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 03, 2008, 09:12:57 PM
You can keep the Jackets down there and we will keep the Origin trophy up here ;D
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 04, 2008, 11:35:48 AM
if you're primarily fishing from a boat, I'd recommend the SP80M over the LR88. You'll get plenty of distance with the SP80M and its length is more manageable.
Thanks Brandon, that was my own initial thoughts too.  However, have just placed an order for an LR88 though (only just caught your reply).

Sounds like a good excuse for another rod though - you can never have too many Carpenters! (said the actress to the builder!)