Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Leader for jigging - what knot do you use?
April 05, 2007, 08:04:55 PM
I'm interested in what type of leader connection people use for jigging. For me, I use a bimimi double/albright connection. I usually have a leader which is about four metres long. For jigging, I don't really care about how bulky the knot connection is between braid and leader as long as it fits through the guides.

one point of interest - is a bimimi double really necessary for jigging? Last week, I fished with a friend who is so far ahead of me in jigging ability and expertise that it's not funny and he uses a albright to a single strand of braid.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Hi Brandon,

I've typically used single PE mainline to albright. I also use a bimini to connect the shock leader via a no-name/bristol knot - it's a pretty neat connection and also use a midknot occasionally.

It may come down to how confident you are with your knots. Do you feel you have more confidence with the bimini/albright rather than the single PE/albright?
Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 05:28:27 PM by Luke Wyrsta

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
not really, Luke. I'm pretty confident with all the knots I actually use. Would here be any difference in strength between a single strand PE alright connection or a double bimimi albright? I don't know.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
not really, Luke. I'm pretty confident with all the knots I actually use. Would here be any difference in strength between a single strand PE alright connection or a double bimimi albright? I don't know.

I don't think there would be in my opinion.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
 Bernie, I'm basically the same as you but sometimes  put in 1mt of 80lb breakaway leader between the 70lb Jigman and Duel 170lb Fluro HD [thin].
 On my light outfit [Stella 8000] I use just the 50lb Jigman to Duel 80lb Fluro.
 On the boat outfit [Spheros for everybody to use] I use 70lb Jigman to a 80/150lb dacron/mono wind on.
 PS: Spheros didn't lose it's virginity on 'not' so Good Friday. :'(
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Greg - I have at times used a breakaway leader as well of about one metre in length but I usually use about 80lb mono to 100lb PE. I see you're using 80lb breakway to 70 pound PE. Is this because the PE has a higher breaking strain that stated?

Bernie, I'm basically the same as you but sometimes  put in 1mt of 80lb breakaway leader between the 70lb Jigman and Duel 170lb Fluro HD [thin].
 On my light outfit [Stella 8000] I use just the 50lb Jigman to Duel 80lb Fluro.
 On the boat outfit [Spheros for everybody to use] I use 70lb Jigman to a 80/150lb dacron/mono wind on.
 PS: Spheros didn't lose it's virginity on 'not' so Good Friday. :'(

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Yes, with most braids being a lot higher breaking strain than stated my theory is the line will break at the mono/fluro knot, being a single mono albright. So far  luckily I've never needed to test it.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
it's funny but when you get snagged when jigging, that is the one time when you wish your knots are no good!!

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Or just the weakest link.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Andrew Woodley-Page

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Like most, I'always used bimini/albright and haven't had a failure.  I do muck around using a GT knot, but this requires the bimini 'loop' be intact so when I change/replace a leader I end up using the albright.  Most usual standard is PE8 bimini/albright 150/200lb mono leader.

Andrew

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I use the bimini/no name knot a lot in my lighter tackle but had some unravel in the heavy classes while testing, it was worse with fluro, but no trouble with the albright.
 I was originally using Momoi XL [hard shelled] mono, but now use Duel HD
 150lb fluro which is only about .80mm dia.
 Luke, how many turns do you put in the no name knot.
Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 07:10:20 AM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
I use the bimini/no name knot a lot in my lighter tackle but had some unravel in the heavy classes while testing, it was worse with fluro, but no trouble with the albright.
 I was originally using Momoi XL [hard shelled] momo, but now use Duel HD
 150lb fluro which is only about .80mm dia.
 Luke, how many turns do you put in the no name knot.

Hi Greg,

I use 6-8 in heavy classes. It will only ever slip if you haven't snugged it tight to begin with, combined with water lubrication it can simply undo as you mentioned. It's similar to how much a uni knot can slip when you haven't tightened enough, so with the small tag, the bristol/no-name will simply destroy itself.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
I've liked the knot and used it for years on my 4-10kg spinning and trolling outfits, mono and braid. I'll just have to do some practice  on the 15-37kg setups.
 thanks luke
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Neil Griffiths

Hi all

Bimini does test higher than single strand, which is probably no surprise to most. The question is do you need the extra b/strain? Jigging snapper and rat kings, every thing is ok, but what if 20kg+ of seriola happens along? Now are you worrying about the knots? 
Personally I hate having to worry about anything other than if the fish is going to drill me into the reef or not, so on all gear the knots are done to my best ability. Murphy's law is always out there waiting to strike. You know the routine, your only targetting tiddlers with this outfit so no need to worry about any weak points, short time later sitting with slack line and sad face!!

No name knot can become difficult in heavy line 150lb+.  A 'jamb' knot will be better than a friction knot (midknot exepted) the simplest type is a uni to uni, which is used by many experts.  The fabled 'Fisherman knot', the one that I have never got around to posting, is still the best I have used.

By the way the bimini comes out on top of the knots you would tie in a boat or in a hurry, I've been testing some other systems that may break above a bimini(especially in jap braid) but at the moment are to long winded to bother with at sea.
Will let you know.

Neil

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Hi all

Bimini does test higher than single strand, which is probably no surprise to most. The question is do you need the extra b/strain? Jigging snapper and rat kings, every thing is ok, but what if 20kg+ of seriola happens along? Now are you worrying about the knots? 
Personally I hate having to worry about anything other than if the fish is going to drill me into the reef or not, so on all gear the knots are done to my best ability. Murphy's law is always out there waiting to strike. You know the routine, your only targetting tiddlers with this outfit so no need to worry about any weak points, short time later sitting with slack line and sad face!!

No name knot can become difficult in heavy line 150lb+.  A 'jamb' knot will be better than a friction knot (midknot exepted) the simplest type is a uni to uni, which is used by many experts.  The fabled 'Fisherman knot', the one that I have never got around to posting, is still the best I have used.

By the way the bimini comes out on top of the knots you would tie in a boat or in a hurry, I've been testing some other systems that may break above a bimini(especially in jap braid) but at the moment are to long winded to bother with at sea.
Will let you know.

Neil

I do agree with you in regards to the Bimini testing higher. Like with popping, do you think there are the same shock load issues involved with jigging? I have a pittance of knowledge in comparison to yours and would like to know your opinion.

So is the concenus now that a bimini/albright is a superior connection to that of a single strand/albright?