Mahmoud Salem

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
OBX400 Inquiry
February 13, 2014, 07:36:22 PM
Dear All, Dear Sami
Good day

After watching photos and videos of the impressive catches on the OBX400, I like it very much, but still I'd like to know more about it
I feel it will be more versatile and suitable for more applications than the OBX500, but I still have some questions
I will be using it for targeting AJs, doggies and tropical fish which I know it will handle perfectly, but I would like to know its lifting power as I will also use it for blue fin tuna, sizes start at 100lbs up to 300lbs, do I have a fair chance with it?
I was comparing it(just numbers) with the Smith AMJ EX 52, I like the extra 3' and I guess it has a shut off point earlier than the AMJ, but I'm concerned of the 12kg max drag vs 14kg for the AMJ(I know ratings may be different)
Also how would the tip compare as I might use it with 200gm jigs or so

Thanks in advance and keep bringing us such good products

Mahmoud

Sami Ghandour

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: OBX400 Inquiry
February 14, 2014, 04:28:04 AM
Hi Mahmoud,

Thank you for your inquiry about the OBX-400,
All our rods are under rated and i see no problem pushing that drag to 14kg as long as you have the right angle, there is a time when you have to wait and time when you have to horse the fish to gain line capacity and turn it is head without giving huge abuse to the rod.
with an experience fisherman i find no problem to land a 300lb Bluefin tuna and i've done it on many occasions, for sure you won't have the lifting power as per comparison to the OBX-500, it is great choice and i feel very confident that you would like the rod especially if your target fish is from 100lb to 200lb at most time,
as for the 200g jig and it is presentation I assure you no problem at all, I jig on many occasion using 210g jig and i didn't have any problem.
at the moment all the spinning models are sold out and the next batch is in July 2015.
 Best regards
 Sami

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 14, 2014, 05:40:17 AM
Luckily, I've already got mine

Trev

Mahmoud Salem

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
February 23, 2014, 06:51:06 AM
Thanks Sami for your clarification
Just to add another rod in the in the mix, how would you compare the MC Works 516ss versus the OBX400 & 500 in terms of tip sensitivity?, fun on smaller fish? and lift power?