February 25, 2014, 07:52:39 PM

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Why 2 treble hook on popper
February 25, 2014, 08:59:20 PM
Rigging is a personal thing but on the subject of barbless hooks, there is no debate, at least not here on gtpopping. We strongly endorse the use of barbless hooks.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Sacco Gerard

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
February 25, 2014, 09:23:22 PM
On other forums, many fishermen say losing more fish while fishing with  treble hook barbless  it is not at all my opinion and I  found that with 2 treble hook, one of the two had good luck damaging fish  :-[  but actually everyone does as he wants  ;)

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
February 25, 2014, 09:52:25 PM
Ive only ever seen serious ripping and injuring of fish from using trebles, it's not an issue I have with single and baker rigs.  For that reason alone I personally won't use trebles. 

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 25, 2014, 10:08:29 PM
Personally, I fail to see much difference between the potential for damage to a fish between a 5/0 treble and an 8/0 Kudako swinging off the back of a lure.

Barbed versus barbless I agree makes a big difference. Easier and safer releases as well

Regards,

Trevor

Travis Heaps

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
February 25, 2014, 10:14:58 PM
The difference is the very reason a lot of people prefer them - triple the points on which to hook into something. 

Sacco Gerard

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
February 26, 2014, 12:11:55 AM
To be humorous I posted this photo on the french forum where I am moderator, We must never adopt this solution  ;) :P

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 26, 2014, 04:25:08 AM
Excellent  ;D

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
February 26, 2014, 11:19:00 AM
As Brandon says, you really raise two questions Gege - the use of two trebles and the use of barbed hooks.

On the rigging question, again I would agree with Brandon that it is a personal thing.  Personally, I have moved more towards not using two trebles but it is somewhat dependent on the lures I choose to use.  Certain floating stickbaits for example just do not work properly with anything other than 2 trebles. On damage to fish, the most damage I have ever caused to a GT  with a flailing hook was from a belly single which tore a gash in the the stomach of the fish.  All that being said, my preference is increasingly not to fish with two trebles.

On barbs it just should not be an issue. EVERYONE should fish with barb less hooks be they singles or trebles.  Far better examples should be set by operators and experienced anglers.  Too many operators do not have a barb less boat policy and too many excuses are made by those who should know better, that "it is up to the angler".   Completely lame argument.
Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 02:37:23 PM by Mark Harris

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
February 26, 2014, 01:49:43 PM

On barbs it is just should not be an issue. EVERYONE should fish with barb less hooks be they singles or trebles.  Far better examples should be set by operators and experienced anglers.  Too many operators do not have a barb less boat policy and too many excuses are made by those who should know better, that "it is up to the angler".   Completely lame argument.

How about the forum posts with caption "Oh and I ran out of time and forgot to crush the barbs" excuse. That wins pathetic award for sure...

Ryan Keith

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
February 26, 2014, 04:57:05 PM
On damage to fish, the most damage I have ever caused to a GT  with a flailing hook was from a belly single which tore a gash in the the stomach of the fish.

I've also seen damage similar to this. However, the worst fish 'injury' I've witnessed resulted from a treble being swallowed by a small trevally (shown below). That particular fish just happened to be my first on topwater. As seen in the photo, two of the three prongs managed to penetrate the fish's top jaw, with the other piercing its bottom jaw, pinning the mouth shut.

I suppose it was a one-in-a-million unlucky hook set, but it resulted nevertheless in my guide making a real mess of the fish's mouth when trying to remove the hooks. Being very young and impressionable at the time, I was a little disparaged by this first GT popping experience. I couldn't help but think it wouldn't have happened if I were using a single hook... So I moved on to barbless singles (baker-rigged for belly hooks). I've never looked back.

If it ain't topwater... quite frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

Sacco Gerard

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
February 26, 2014, 08:08:45 PM
Thank you for your answers friends.  :)

Mark, the choose to fish with 1 or 2 triple is  actually a personal matter.

Curiously, when I was fishing with two triples, a large majority of GTs were made by the treble hook of tail, it's the reason I deleted the middle triple.
Sometimes I put a short assist hook at the head of my popper and 1 treble hook on tail.

On the French forum, I put a poll to find out how many fishermen fished with Barbless, unfortunately the majority of responses were, we fish with barbs  :-[

Again thank you for your answers, I get hot trying to speak in English  ;)

Dan Hanon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 01, 2014, 02:53:23 PM
All barbs should be crushed, no question.  Also, think about all the GT's we lose with poppers stuck in their mouths.