Dan Hanon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Rod Suggestions
March 20, 2014, 04:03:27 AM
I have a Ripple Fisher GT 79R and love it.  I need another rod so that I have border coverage.  I want to stick with Ripple Fisher or Carpenter.  What rod(s) should I consider as my 2nd GT rod?  I'm 6'0, 180lbs (82kg) and reasonably fit/strong.  I anticipate fishing in a variety of locations, like GBR, New Caledonia, etc.  eventually, I'll need a 3rd and 4th rod!

Thanks,

Dan
Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 04:06:16 AM by Dan Hanon

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Rod Suggestions
March 20, 2014, 05:45:04 AM
Dan,

Poppers or stick baits, longer or shorter, heavier or lighter than the 79R?

What breaking strain line do you envisage needing?

Regards,

Trevor

Dan Hanon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 20, 2014, 06:54:08 AM
Trevor, I'm not too concerned about rod weight or length, but I want a rod for some heavier poppers, say 160-200 grams.  I'm thinking 100 lb (~PE 8) line, like Jerry Brown hollow core.  I don't want a rod that is too stiff and unforgiving for my body's sake!  I know there's a specialized rod for almost every conceivable fishing style and environment, but I need something that will work some slightly larger poppers than the GT79R, but not be a total broom stick.  Thanks!

Leo Sorbello

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
March 20, 2014, 08:08:13 AM
Hi Dan,

I suppose if you want to stick to the brands you mentioned, maybe consider these from your from your fit self;

Ripper Fisher's - Ulitimo 79H UG Swim -PE10, lures by memory upto 210g, probably an allrounder, nice comfortable rod this. Or, something like Final Spirit GT79H -PE12, lures 170-220g, I've seen this rod in action, has that stiffness for the poppers, good back bone.

Carpenters - Maybe the Monster Hunter MH80H-PE8-10, lures upto 250g. Maybe bulky to use and has that medium to heavy taper. Maybe could have saturated feel with popper work around 200g. Or, the new rod around EP82/42R-P1 (KLL model), PE8-10, lures upto 220g. Not seen these rod in action, should have an allrounder feel with the length though.

Good luck with your purchase, tight lines !.

Regards

Leo

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 20, 2014, 08:50:06 AM
Dan, if you're looking to use poppers in that 160 to 200g range, then at the higher end of that range, you don't have a choice really - you have to accept the rod is going to be stiffer and/or less forgiving on your body. There is a huge difference between lures in that 160g category and the 200g category. 40g might not sound like much but the cup size difference will be signifcant and very noticeable when you're popping.

For 200g sized poppers, in the Ripple range, you're really talking Final Spirit but I will point out both these rods are very strong. I would also point out that this is not a PE8 or 100lb braid rod. Start thinking PE10 at least! In the Carpenter range, you're at the top end of the Monster Hunter range like the 79XH or 78 Extreme. The latter will be more suitable. Again, think PE10. Between the two, I would regard the Final Spirit(s) as being a better pure popper rod for the simple reason they are stiffer in the tip. The Monster Hunters will be more forgiving in profile (and when you are fighting a fish) but will saturate a bit more. These are all very strong rods though - made for PE10 (or more).

The Ultimo UG79 is a stickbait rod, not a popper rod. I reckon it would be suitable for a 120g popper!

The MH80H is not suitable for poppers at the 200g range. It will saturate too much.

The EP82/42 will saturate even more than the MH80H
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Dan Hanon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
March 20, 2014, 09:16:23 AM
Thanks gents, I appreciate the input!  I actually have a Final Spirit 78XH that a friend gave me, but its a brute.  Everyone says this rod is overkill and hard to fight fish with. 

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 20, 2014, 03:11:17 PM
Depends how big (and strong) you are!!

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 20, 2014, 03:30:47 PM
As Brandon says not ideal Monster Hunter 80H territory.

I'm waiting to see what the UPL 75/45 looks like when it arrives having ordered one. I'm hoping that it will accomodate big poppers. Have you used it Brandon?

An option is the Hammerhead Faube 77H (what a beast!) or the MH but difficult to get hold of.

Regards,

Trevor

Andy Kim

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
March 20, 2014, 07:16:56 PM
You might want to look at a Patriot Rod Design.  I love my Diamond 77 rated up to 170g but I can toss up to 230g!  They make another model called the Zanzabar 8'2", Black Mafia i think it was 7'6", and a Fire Vortex 7'6" and rated up to 250g I believe.  These are popper rods that you can put some pressure and a hurting on the fish.  Rods are tanks!

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 20, 2014, 07:28:06 PM
Trevor, the UPL75/45 is a tuna rod. It would not have been made for giant poppers.

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
March 20, 2014, 08:43:12 PM
Thanks Brandon

Regards,

Trevor
Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 09:03:43 PM by Trevor Skinner