Jussi Saarinen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Sean, I agree with you that the JM spools are tougher to "get going" but all break offs occoured well into the run, i.e. not when the hook was set or at the start of the run when the shock load is highest.

As said, lines got stuck on three and broke on two different reels and I checked the ceramics on the rotor arm with a stocking when checking the guides on both rods. No issues there.

I will not use the JM25k on my Stella 18ks going fwd. I will only use them on my 20k. I have ordered two SOM 25k spools as replacements and will spool them with solid braid. Practising my FG knot as I write...

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
Do SOM do a 25K spool?  If so  I would treat that with caution as well as it probably will not fit properly.

SOM 20000 for example touches the rotor of a Stella SWB18000.

You don't really need bigger spools for GT fishing.  For spares you could order factory Stella 18000s (or 20000s) or use a SOM 18000.
Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 05:57:02 PM by Mark Harris

Jussi Saarinen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Sorry Mark, I bought two NL 08SW18000 Spools (http://www.jdmtackle.com/product_view.php?product_id=1567). They should fit both the 2008 and 2013 model.

Jussi Saarinen

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Checked the lines and the 130 lb that broke was Toro Tamer and the 100 lb Jerry Brown so no help there...

Jorge Fidalgo

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Jussi, everyone is pretty much saying that is not necessary to use an aftermarket spool when fishing for GT's, the stock spools are the best out there. Is there really such a need to "bling" a reel and risk it underperforming and failing while fishing for maybe the looks factor?

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
It is really useful having spare spools ready and rigged to go.

On Jorge's point, you can just buy Stella spools as spares Jussi. Or SOMs in the correct size.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
Sean, I agree with you that the JM spools are tougher to "get going" but all break offs occoured well into the run, i.e. not when the hook was set or at the start of the run when the shock load is highest.

As said, lines got stuck on three and broke on two different reels and I checked the ceramics on the rotor arm with a stocking when checking the guides on both rods. No issues there.

I will not use the JM25k on my Stella 18ks going fwd. I will only use them on my 20k. I have ordered two SOM 25k spools as replacements and will spool them with solid braid. Practising my FG knot as I write...

I've seen the JM monster spool "fail", I.E, it touches the rotor thus under heavy drag causing a big spike in pressure. It really is too big for 08' SW Stella.