Steve Carruthers

decoy gt specials?
June 18, 2008, 04:40:20 PM
Howdy guys, I got a few dozen Decoy 6/0 gt specials but have since read some old posts stating that they are brittle and prone to breaking. These posts were a couple of years old and mentioned that Decoy were adressing the problem. Does anyone know if the problem has been sorted?
Hooroo.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: decoy gt specials?
June 18, 2008, 05:21:42 PM
Steve - Decoy GTs do not have a great reputation since they changed the hook a couple of years ago. If you want to use really big trebles, I'd recommend Gamakatsu Recorders.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
June 19, 2008, 11:19:53 AM
Back in 2004 when the company just made the changes from Big Saltwater treble to GT Special treble , we had a few failures of GT Special when fishing in Komodo . We returned those unused ones to the shop and had to wait for a couple of months to get them replaced with the Big Saltwater treble which then was being phased out . I still have a bunch of the Big Saltwater trebles but once depleted , will probably buy Owner ST76 or Gamakatsu GT Recorder .

Jon .
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Steve Carruthers

June 21, 2008, 04:17:38 PM
Thanks Brandon and Jon, Duncan at Fish Head has been a great bloke and offered to swap them for some barbless recorders. I have all my lures rigged up with jobus at the moment for my trip to Taveuni Fiji in a weeks time. Being brand new to this style of fishing I just thought it would be good to have some trebles on board to try. I've caught quite a few barra over the metre mark and have seen what a big fish can do to even a top quality treble and greatly appreciate your input guys. Confidence in your gear is a big factor in the equasion hey!
I'll post up a trip report when we get back.
Regards, Steve.