Daniel Latif

New Jigging outfit
June 22, 2008, 07:10:54 PM
Gday everyone, great website you got going here!  I have a slightly different question for you....I want to buy a spinning jigging outfit to use for cubing on Yellowfin Tuna!  So I want to buy a Jigging setup, but its main use will be on the Yellowfin  ;D  Thats not to say I will never jig with it, it will also be used on the kingies offshore and I really want to get into jigging more but its main use will be cubing for 'fin.  Alot of guys down this way are using big Stellas and Saltigas on Yellowfin and they all use Jig rods as well, hence why I have come here!

Reel:  I am looking at buying the new Stella SW20000PG when it comes out.  If my main target species is yellowfin, would it be logical to choose the lower speed of the 20000 over the 18000?
I am going to load it with some PE6 braid.  I also considered the Accurate Twinspin 30 but from what I read the drag is not as smoothe as the Stella.

Rod:  I have been looking on the Japanese sites at some of the various offerings.  I don't mind paying a bit for a good quality rod, and I suppose it will be difficult to find a jig rod that suits Tuna as well, would it not? In saying this, if there is a cheaper rod that will suit my purpose then so be it.
I was specifically looking at the Carpenter OH56MH-S, the Smith 55Nirai, or the Smith AMJ-S52EX.  I have also heard good things about Shimano's JigWrex rods, or maybe a custom Calstar GF760L like the one Luke had for sale.

Anyway, nice to be part of the site!!
Daniel

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: New Jigging outfit
June 22, 2008, 08:25:46 PM
Welcome to the site, Daniel

For the reel, I think you'd be much betetr off with the lower gear ratio of the 20000.
With the way which yellowfin fight, the winding power you get with the 20000 will be more suitable than the retrieve speed of the 18000. Also, if you looking to do some jigging, the 20000 is the way to go. You'll also get some 500+ metres of PE6 onto the 20000. You'll need this for a big fin!

Rod - this is more difficult. I think what you'd want here is a rod that is comfortable to fish with and which will provide you with the low down lifting power you will need. I think the OH56 would be good for PE6 but realistically, there is plenty of choice at this weight class. Make sure you find one where the butt length is right for you especially if you could be stuck to a yellowfin for ages!

If it swims; I want to catch it!

Daniel Latif

June 23, 2008, 12:19:27 AM
Thanks very much Brandon for the prompt reply!  The OH56MH-S does look suitable,as do all the others, but as you say there are plenty of options!  I also am considering the Jigging Master PowerSpell Rod 400g and 500g - both 5 foot.  As you said for the deep fighting fin I need that low down lifting power.  Unfortunately there are hardly any shops in Sydney that have many jigging rods  :-[, hence I have sought out help from you guys ;D

Thanks, keep it coming
Daniel

MikeOsborn

June 23, 2008, 07:59:59 AM
we use alot of the Jigging master rods over here in NZ and they have a huge amount of lift with minimal pressure on the angler.... they are hugely popular here and sooo much better than the shimano equivalents avaliable to us

I currently own the 250, 400 and will soon have my 500 spin(all customs)

here are a few jm400's in action

result was a 42kg bass

result was a 20 something kg king

result was another high 20's king

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 23, 2008, 08:00:34 AM
Daniel, I think something like a JM Powerspell in the 400 size would be ideal. The JMs are strong as all hell and have a great following among the jigging fraternity.

The Carpenter OH56 is like a bloody pipe dream. They hardly ever come on sale and only in tiny numbers. Carpenter are among the best when it comes to popping rods but I personally believe there are better manufacturers of jigging rods.

I think in terms of value for money, the JMs are hard to beat.

Other brands you could consider include the Zenaqs, the Ripple Fishers, Hots etc. The problem is the ebst way to judge a rod is to get a good feel of one in a store but as you wrote, forget it in Sydney. You'll be lucky to find a couple of T-Curves in most stores.

btw - great photos, Mike!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

MikeOsborn

June 23, 2008, 12:30:20 PM
Cheers brandon will chuck up some more from our kings trip when I get time tonight.

On the trip we also used a Smith offshore and Hots(not sure on model but it was matched with stella8000) and jm400 in spin setup

The smith offshore was a genuine grunt stick and got the biggest king of the trip(35kg) in pretty easily. I found the Hots rod put more pressure on the angler and the fish. beautiful to jig with but not all the nice/comfortable when hooked up....my 2c

The jm spin was kind of in between the two. the smith had an amazing amount of lift as did the jm bu the smith seemed to have a little bit extra backbone which helped a wee bit when trying to turn angry Kingis.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 23, 2008, 03:33:15 PM
Mike, was the Smith Offshore a Nirai or Fremantle do you know?

Mike's Pics show a JM PS400 'red' in the top and bottom pic and a JM PS500 'blue' in the middle one.

Shimano have a Saragosa 18000 reel introductory offer in a Jigwrex combo going around for about $550 from their retailers, I believe there is one week left, I know they are at Tackle World Kawana [07 54440714] or in Brisbane try Neil at Jones Tackle [07 38575857] and Duncan from Fish Head [07 32079965]. Sounds like pretty good value to me.

Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 05:11:56 PM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

MikeOsborn

June 23, 2008, 06:23:29 PM
Greg thats the first Kojak jim rod built on a 400 blank. The master is weaving his magic on a jm 500 pitchbait rod and re-doing the 400 blank as an acid to match the 250. The acid is good!!!! :D

dont know what the rod was but I dont think a nirai ???

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 23, 2008, 08:12:10 PM
I don't need the 'Acid' trip, under side all the way for the Stella's for me ;D
The Kojak built JM's are certainly in demand, especially the new 250. I wouldn't mind a 250 spin or even a 250 overhead for my Acc 655.

The Smiths Offshore must have been the Fremantle if it had 'Grunt', a fair bit stiffer than the Nirai.
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Daniel Latif

June 23, 2008, 09:20:17 PM
Thanks for all the help guys, very much appreciated!!

I have narrowed it down to only a couple now:

Jigging Master PowerSpell 500 (Blue) - 5'0, PE5-10
OR
Hots Wei World 52XH  - 5'2, PE8

Which rod has more lifting power in the butt section?  Also, when fishing for Yellowfin, is it dangerous to use 100% carbon rods over potential long fight times?  Obviously I dont want to pay alot of money and 45 minutes into a fight end up with half a rod lol ;D

Thanks,
Dan

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 23, 2008, 09:47:55 PM
Some loaded rods:
1] Calstar
2] JM PS 500
3] Hots Wei World
4] Smith Nirai
5] Smith Nirai
5] JM PS 500
Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 10:01:09 PM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Daniel Latif

June 24, 2008, 04:49:53 PM
Thanks guys.  Quickly, would you recommend AGAINST using a 100% graphite rod when fights with Yellowfin could be potentially long, upwards of 45 minutes??  Some of the rods above are 100% graphite and they cost alot so I don't want to take the risk (assuming 100% rods arent the best idea)

Thanks
Daniel

Bwanna Surya

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 24, 2008, 05:42:45 PM
Hi Daniel, how quickly do you need the rod?

I have a spare JM 500 on sale if you interested. The condition is excellent.

I will stop over in Sydney on my way back to Auckland from Indonesia for a day.

Daniel Latif

June 25, 2008, 05:10:35 PM
Hey guys, sorry to bring this up again, but a different rod comes up everyday!

What do you think of the Blue Rose rods for the tuna on the Stella 20000??  Not sure which model, but the natural choice would be the 5'3 PE8 S53SD. 

Dan

MikeOsborn

June 26, 2008, 05:15:46 PM
What calstar blank is that greg?