CliffKhoo

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Help in casting techniques
April 22, 2014, 09:09:32 AM
Hi guys, ive been trying find a video that shows a proper casting technique, but to no avail. I can cast descent but there are still room for improvement. Is anyone willing to share and videos of good casting techniques? Thank you.

Cameron Mundy

• Red Bass
  • Gamefishing Asia Captain
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Help in casting techniques
April 25, 2014, 03:17:57 AM
For me its all about loading the rod I watch a lot of guys cast and the bulk of them don't load up the rod properly and rely on the weight of the lure to get it out there. This is ok when casting monster lures as you tend to lob them out in a big arc but when you get to the 160gr and under lures you really need to put effort in at the beginning off the cast to load up the rod and get your release timing spot on. Get this right and you'll add 20% to your casts, I try to get my lure flying up and out at about 45 degrees when I have the wind behind me when casting Into the wind I cast a lot flatter. I tend to have quite a bit off slack line after a cast but I have enough time to place the but of the rod in my harness and I snap the bail arm closed as the lure hits the water to counteract this.

The leader system and braid type you use also plays a big role. Casting knots and leaders though the guides slows your cast down quite a bit and the lower your PE the better the distance as the spool empties slower during a cast so theres less resistance. This all comes down to personal preference I fish a maximum of PE 8 / JB 100 hollow and leave the knot outside the tip guide I would rather have distance on my side and cover more ground on open water than punt out little casts with pe 12.

I can try post a video if you like but im out on the islands and the interweb is a bit shaky plus I always feel like a bit of a berk when I'm being filmed

CliffKhoo

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
April 25, 2014, 08:12:01 PM
Thank you so much. Its a couple of good tips there. Anyway I will really appreciate a video to learn from.

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 25, 2014, 08:36:31 PM
Cam,

It's not feeling like a berk when you're being filmed you have to worry about?..

Trev

Cameron Mundy

• Red Bass
  • Gamefishing Asia Captain
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
April 27, 2014, 01:37:22 AM
Good grief can someone reach over and pull the knife from my back its affecting my casting distance.