Craig Maree

• Red Bass
  • Release the GT
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Casting Distances
April 20, 2014, 08:56:24 PM
I was out testing rods for casting distance trying to find out the difference in casting distance between different rod lengths and setups (spinning vs overhead). For some land based and boat based areas around heavy surf the extra distance means the difference between strikes and no action.

My test showed that

80m casting distance on Temple Reef GT 80-10 (Pathfinder) Stella 10k SW /SOM 16k spool loaded with JBH 100lbs casting 120g chisel nose plug.

85m casting distance on a Shimano 10ft rod with the same reel and lure above.

100m casting distance with a 9ft6 CD rod and a Daiwa overhead reel and the above lure.

I would really be interested to know what casting distance you guys are getting with what setups...rod, reel, braid and lure.
Atoll Hunter GT Popping
www.facebook.com/atollhunter

Guy Durham

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Casting Distances
April 21, 2014, 12:22:55 AM
I've seen it. And then some! At the local beach, guys that are serious about chasing land based mackerel. Absolutely unbelievable to watch! AND they get a pilchard to stay along for the ride!
When people hear hoof beats, they think "Horses"
When I hear hoof beats.  I think "Zebra's" :)

Nathan Tsao

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
April 21, 2014, 01:37:53 AM
Overhead reels are far superior casting tools compared to spinning reels. 80% of my shoreline GT plugging is with overhead Daiwa Hyperspeeds

Cameron Mundy

• Red Bass
  • Gamefishing Asia Captain
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
April 21, 2014, 02:24:53 AM
Yup cant beat an educated thumb and an overhead for distance. Good rock and surf guys in SA cast well over 100m with a 12ft rod and a slighty suped up reel.

Craig Maree

• Red Bass
  • Release the GT
  • Liked:
April 21, 2014, 06:25:59 PM
95m casting distance on Temple Reef GT 80-10 (Pathfinder) Stella 10k SW spool loaded with JB 60lbs casting 120g chisel nose plug.

So a extra 15m or so on the 60lbs vs the 100lbs braid.

Nathan what length rod you using and what distance to getting?
Atoll Hunter GT Popping

Craig Maree

• Red Bass
  • Release the GT
  • Liked:
April 21, 2014, 06:30:01 PM
How much extra distance you think one could get on 8ft5 rod which is some 15cm longer?

What be interested in distance guys are getting on the 8ft2 to 9ft rods.
Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 10:40:58 PM by Craig Maree
Atoll Hunter GT Popping

Richard Ghalayini

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 05, 2014, 06:30:33 PM
I was out testing rods for casting distance trying to find out the difference in casting distance between different rod lengths and setups (spinning vs overhead). For some land based and boat based areas around heavy surf the extra distance means the difference between strikes and no action.

My test showed that

80m casting distance on Temple Reef GT 80-10 (Pathfinder) Stella 10k SW /SOM 16k spool loaded with JBH 100lbs casting 120g chisel nose plug.

85m casting distance on a Shimano 10ft rod with the same reel and lure above.

100m casting distance with a 9ft6 CD rod and a Daiwa overhead reel and the above lure.

I would really be interested to know what casting distance you guys are getting with what setups...rod, reel, braid and lure.

How do you find that Temple Reef Pathfinder GT 80-10? I put in a post today of either that one or the widow maker.

Regards Richard