Arnout Weber

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
new jigging rod
May 30, 2014, 07:00:58 AM
hello,

For my next trip i am looking for a other jigging rod. At the moment i have a Valley hill deep quaker which i like very much.
I like to fish with it with jigs around 200 to 250gr. I also have a Tenryu Giga red dents de chien. It is OK but a little bit stif in the
rod tip. My next rod should be able to work jigs around 300 gr in +- 120m water for species like Dog tooth and GT or yellowfin.
I wand to use the new Saltiga Expedition on it. The brands where i am thinking about are Ripple Fisher - Valley Hill - Carpenter ( if they bring a new jigging rod) MC works or Patriot design.

What would be your recommend? I wand to use it in common situations.

Best regards,

Arnout.

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: new jigging rod
May 30, 2014, 01:06:11 PM
Arnout,

Without a doubt there is an MC Works rod that fits the bill. I'm guessing you're looking at PE6 minimum and I would suggest you look at their Southern Blue series. I noticed that the shops currently have the SB 516SS and the SB 548SS in stock..either of those rods would be great depending on your preferences.

I personally use an OBX 400 for my heavier jigging situations. It's 5'5" and gives you just that little bit more flexibility in terms of lighter jigs. It's also built like a Mack truck.

The Carpenter rods have been released but seem to be longer, lighter rods more suited to slow style jigging.

Regards,

Trev

Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 01:07:57 PM by Trevor Skinner

Mark Gwynne

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
May 31, 2014, 06:51:14 AM
Hey Trevor is your OBX in spinning? Just wondering what the final weight is as I've been thinking of pulling the trigger on a blank but may wait for the 300.

Arnout Weber

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
May 31, 2014, 07:23:58 AM
Hello trevor,

Thank you for your reaction.

When you read the forum,s you read good things about MC works.
They look good on the pictures to. Unfortunatly i have to buy everything from
a webshop because these articles are not available in the Netherlands. The good thing is
that i never have been disappointed by the advise from the well known webshops and forum advise.

Best regards,

Arnout.

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
May 31, 2014, 12:57:40 PM
Mark,

Yes the spinning one?310 grams.

I've used one of the 300 prototypes and it's a great rod as well. It fits into that 5'6" ish PE5/6i ish either side of 200g ish category that seems to fit so many fishing situations.

Arnout,

Yes it's tough. I'm lucky to have been able to beg borrow and steal MC Works rods from fishing colleagues or people I've done trips with. However, although I know exactly which MC Works rod I want they're difficult to source if it hasn't been produced in a recent production run. Of the current run I like the 548SS better than the 516SS. I think that bit more length give you more flexibility in terms of getting a good action on lighter jigs but you may prefer shorter, stiffer rods and will only ever use it on heavy jigs. Different strokes for different folks.

Regards,

Trev     
Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 01:00:01 PM by Trevor Skinner

Mark Gwynne

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
June 02, 2014, 12:57:32 PM
Thanks Trevor. That's very light. Decisions decisions....

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 02, 2014, 01:06:18 PM
Mark,

It's an off the rack rod and has the thinned down rear grip (like all the Saltywater rods)

Regards,

Trev