Arnout Weber

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
ripplefisher jiggingrod
June 04, 2014, 07:08:59 AM
Good evening,

Which RF jigging rod would you recommend for jigging with jigs around 300gr
in 100m. water? I would like to use a Saltiga Expedition on it.  I wand to use it for
Dogtooth - GT and YFT.

Best regards,

Arnout.

ShawnMatthews

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
Re: ripplefisher jiggingrod
June 25, 2014, 03:31:17 AM
The 568 or the 5610 would both be great options. I love both rods but the 568 gets a lot of use. Here is a pic of the 568 in action on a 70lb AJ.

Christoffer Hansen

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 25, 2014, 12:01:58 PM
Hey Shawn,
Have you got any more load photos of the 2 rods? Which rod has a softer tip and how do they compare power wise? What taper are they?
Been searching for info on the 2 rods you have and can't find any. I have a Smith S54h, I'm lookin for a rod with just a bit more power in the bottom end.

Cheers,
Chris

ShawnMatthews

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
June 25, 2014, 09:29:26 PM
Chris,

I do have photos. As far as the Smith S54H I use to own that rod and every other rod in the AMJ line. The S54H is definitely softer than either of the Ripple Fisher's. The tip between both rods are similar but the 568 has the softer tip of the two. I have used a 150gr jig with the 568 with no problems.

Both rods are what I would consider a moderate fast.

Here are the pics:

Robert Woll

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 26, 2014, 12:39:00 AM
Thanks for the great info shared, Shawn.

I was just currently considering buying the 568 so this is very helpful. Another comparable option I spotted is the Ripple Fisher Selfish 597s Vertical. Have you got any experience on this one, too?

Btw: on your picture I see a MC Works rod, too. How do you feel the Ripple Fishers compare to the MC Works jigging rods?

Thanks and tight lines,

Robert

Arnout Weber

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
June 26, 2014, 03:13:43 AM
Just ordered a 5215 in steel blue.
Both rods look very nice.

Best regards,

Arnout

ShawnMatthews

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
June 26, 2014, 12:07:30 PM

I was just currently considering buying the 568 so this is very helpful. Another comparable option I spotted is the Ripple Fisher Selfish 597s Vertical. Have you got any experience on this one, too?

Btw: on your picture I see a MC Works rod, too. How do you feel the Ripple Fishers compare to the MC Works jigging rods?

I like the Ripple Fisher rods better than my MC Works rods. I am actually trying to sell them right now ;)

As far as the Selfish models I do not have any experience with those rods as they weren't recommended to my by Richard.  I have the 583, 575, 577, 568, and 5610.

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 26, 2014, 02:35:08 PM
Hi Shawn, Nice lineup. Been eyeing off the 577 myself for lighter jigs but a range of fish. What are your thoughts on that one, does it punch above it's weight?
Also considering Yamaga Galahad 58/7 for similar applications.

Cheers Dave

ShawnMatthews

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
June 26, 2014, 09:18:48 PM
Dave,

The 577 is one of my favorite rods. It has a very nice tip but is very strong. I have caught 50lb AJ's on it with no problem. I would recommend it over the Yamaga. Here is a pic of the 577 bend:

David Noble

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 27, 2014, 10:02:37 AM
Thanks Shawn, appreciate you putting it up. very helpful.
If only tackle manufacturers would do the same!

Cheers David