Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
giving opinions on equipment........
June 30, 2008, 01:20:43 PM
Many people come onto this site looking for assistance as to what type of equipment they should acquire and to get some tips on terminals and rigging. That is one of the primary objectives of this site.

All of that said, I really want to emphasise to people that those of us offering our opinions are doing just that - offering our own opinions. While many people who contribute on this site are very experienced, we are offering opinions based on what we like ourselves and qwhat we have experienced. I suppose what I am trying to convey is that our comments should not be taken as gospel. There is no substitute for trying the equipment yourself and making up your mind as to what works best for you.

We all come in all shapes and sizes and what is good for me may not be suitable for another person at all.

the reason I am posting this is that I have been asked many times, particularly of late, as to what is "best". I can't tell you what is "best" as I simply don't know what is "best" for you.

I know it is diffcult to actually get out to a store to check out the gear as the stores locally are not well stocked in the type of gear we discuss herebut before spending a lot of money, it really pays to check out the gear if you can.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Jon Jarvis

Re: giving opinions on equipment........
July 02, 2008, 08:42:10 PM
Definately a good point. Unfortunately a fully stocked store loaded with cutting edge Jigging and Popping gear is just not even close to reality for Im guessing the majority of posters here. Leaves us the net or word of mouth for all gear comparisons. Then all gear is purchased online purely on reviews and reccomendations.
Thats what works for me anyway. Ive got a fairly good idea of what will work for me and adjust gear accordingly.
Keep it all coming guys. For some of us it is all we have. ;)

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 02, 2008, 11:25:41 PM
My opinion of my gear is it's not being used enough because of this damn relentless wind!!!

I know this is the dry (windy) season up here but the wind up here lately would blow a dog off a chain and there's no end in sight!  I've been out once in the last couple of months. 

Apologies for the rant, but it's tough having good GT grounds so close and being unable to get there because of the wind. (haha).

Ah, memories of happier times
Cairns Bommie Basher

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 02, 2008, 11:37:27 PM
It's the same here Stephen, so bloody frustrating. The wind just blows and blows and blows... and when there is finally a day that eases I'm either working or it's crappy tides  :-\

Bring on summer. Winter weather sucks, eh.

Andy Rowe

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 03, 2008, 12:10:16 PM
DITO,

It is stiff easterlies until September here, as I sit and stare at the white caps offshore.

Set the ray to GeeT

Sam Walker

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 16, 2008, 04:00:42 AM
Yes the wind is a bugger - but I have been able to get some fun on Longtail Tuna and the odd Spaniard in the harbour right in front of the refinery.
Plenry of fish here but a real lack of the good gear to look at and fondle in the shops. So I don't have state of the art gear like Carpenter rods etc.
Not that I'm complaining - I have a Saltiga Blast and a Calstar 700M that I built for myself and while it's not a monster GT stopping outfit it does the job on the medium size fish.
I have to rely on what I can find out on various forums, and a couple of times a year visiting the big smoke and looking in a decent shop or two.
So it's great to read the feedback from you guys who buy the latest and greatest - keep up the good work please !

Sam
something clever and witty !

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 16, 2008, 09:09:30 AM
I understand what you are saying Brandon.

The thing i like most about this site is the more specific style of fishing combined with active members that have had the chance to use a wide range of gear that is made for popping and jigging.
As you say Brandon opinions offered on this site are just that, personal opinions and shouldn't be taken as gospel.
I find the site very useful for finding out information on gear to use and it offers me a great guide in selecting gear for myself, especially when I am unable to see the gear in my local tackle store!

Stephen, perhaps you should come down to the central coast for a fish ;) the weather is perfect here at the moment :P  :D

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 16, 2008, 09:21:00 AM
Yeah Warwick, I'm nearly tempted!  A windy winter in the north is nothing new though I suppose.  Lately I've been busy selling my old boat and arranging a replacement, so probably good that it hasn't been flat - I'd be stuck at home.  The new second hand one should be in the shed by the end of the week so that's something to look forward to

Cairns Bommie Basher

Jay Burgess

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
July 22, 2008, 11:21:24 AM
What are you upgrading to Stephen?

Stephen Polzin

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
July 22, 2008, 05:46:02 PM
Cyclone 540C Side Console.  Took it out in some very ordinary conditions for a quick run yesterday.  Awesome handling glass boat that eats heavy chop for breakfast.  One day the weather might improve and I'll get to take it fishing!

Cairns Bommie Basher

Chris Young

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
July 22, 2008, 07:40:18 PM
Very nice rig mate  ;)