Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: DSLR - What's everyone using?
November 05, 2014, 07:40:19 AM
Great shots Jason!

I run a Canon 7d and  17-40mm canon L series good width with no distortion it's just annoying that mate never know how to use it when I need  a snap haha.

What flash's  are you guys running?

Thats the good thing about the 7D, you can always change it to auto focus if people dont know how to use it properly.

I like how in fish wild magazine the scenery shots have all the settings used when taking the pics.

Gerhard Delport

• Fusilier
  • Spinaholic
  • Liked:
November 05, 2014, 11:17:36 AM
I am starting to play with my Canon 70D and like it a lot...

Jason Haack

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
November 06, 2014, 09:08:46 PM
Hi Tom,

I use the built in flash for most shots requiring a 'fill flash' but if strong shadows are going to be an issue I use an old Canon Speedlite 550EX.

John Cahill

• Fusilier
  • www.ebbtidetackle.com
  • Liked:
November 10, 2014, 02:21:01 PM
I recently retired my trusty 7D and pro series lenses due to corrosion and now have gone the other direction - mirrorless.... I went for a FujiFil XT1 and am loving the results to this point
ebbtidetackle.com

Amr Kehila

• Foundation Moderator
  • Fusilier
  • [FORUM IT SUPPORT]
  • Liked:
November 12, 2014, 08:18:01 PM
Do you consider the image quality a bit of a step down John?

John Cahill

• Fusilier
  • www.ebbtidetackle.com
  • Liked:
November 15, 2014, 11:18:06 AM
Hi Amr, I was so cautious making this step, I was teetering between going 'up' to a 5Dmk3 and chose mirrorless, yes it was a gamble.  Many pros carry a camera like this as part of their kit for the quick candid shots, its slung around their neck while they balance around the big cameras.  The thing that got me over the line was two that I know (wedding guys) who have now been shooting weddings entirely with the XT1 and leaving the 'pro' kit at home!  My images have still been considered 'good enough' for the likes of Fishing Wild, Sport Fishing Mag and FishLife magazine.  I am very pleased with it.  Is it a step down?  I just think it is a step sideways personally, the glass is exceptional.  I am not that much for technical specs.  I prefer honestly to concentrate on the image quality.
ebbtidetackle.com

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 15, 2014, 02:10:05 PM
is it a less bulky set up John?  I guess not really given the lenses wil be the same (or similar)?

John Cahill

• Fusilier
  • www.ebbtidetackle.com
  • Liked:
November 16, 2014, 05:14:20 PM
Hey Mark at least half the size and weight
ebbtidetackle.com

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
November 16, 2014, 09:58:19 PM
oh that's a HUGE benefit. Watching you guys get those huge cameras out on a boat and the storage space required... full of admirartion but don't know how you manage it really.

Sounds like the mirrorless option is very appropriate for fishing pics.

Amr Kehila

• Foundation Moderator
  • Fusilier
  • [FORUM IT SUPPORT]
  • Liked:
November 19, 2014, 12:14:19 AM
Hi Amr, I was so cautious making this step, I was teetering between going 'up' to a 5Dmk3 and chose mirrorless, yes it was a gamble.  Many pros carry a camera like this as part of their kit for the quick candid shots, its slung around their neck while they balance around the big cameras.  The thing that got me over the line was two that I know (wedding guys) who have now been shooting weddings entirely with the XT1 and leaving the 'pro' kit at home!  My images have still been considered 'good enough' for the likes of Fishing Wild, Sport Fishing Mag and FishLife magazine.  I am very pleased with it.  Is it a step down?  I just think it is a step sideways personally, the glass is exceptional.  I am not that much for technical specs.  I prefer honestly to concentrate on the image quality.

Thanks for the information John. I will look into this option as a field camera instead of clunking around my 5DII or alternatively, carrying both and deciding if its worth getting out the full frame.

John Cahill

• Fusilier
  • www.ebbtidetackle.com
  • Liked:
November 19, 2014, 11:10:28 AM
It would be great option as a back up if you could afford both for sure  8)
ebbtidetackle.com

Craig Maree

• Red Bass
  • Release the GT
  • Liked:
November 28, 2014, 02:28:18 AM
I have tried to be a better photographer on my fishing travels, buying a nice (at the time) SLR Canon Camera and Canon wide angle lens some time ago, but have found the weight and bulkiness when packing and the fragility of the unit to knocks and water a major deterrent for me. I have tended to leave it at home when traveling on fishing trips and mainly used waterproof point and shoot type cameras, many of which have leaked and have needed replacing.

On a recent trip to the Seychells a friend had a Gopro 3 Black which we used for stills and video and I am completely blown away at the quaility of the pics and videos. This along with the tiny size, minimal weight, plastic waterproof and protective housing which does not leak and does not rust or corrode, I am definitely thinking of going this option.

I am looking at getting the latest Gopro 4 Silver which has a built LCD screen, if Santa (my wife) is listening.

Here are some pics taken with the Gopro 3 Black.
Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 02:29:51 AM by Craig Maree
Atoll Hunter GT Popping
www.facebook.com/atollhunter

Craig Maree

• Red Bass
  • Release the GT
  • Liked:
November 28, 2014, 02:35:22 AM
Washed up flip flops

Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 02:39:18 AM by Craig Maree