Dave Huck

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Is the JM Sabre Game built on a spine?
February 04, 2013, 10:37:56 PM
Hi Guys,

A quick question re. the JM Sabre Game 55B (Conventional) rod; is it built on a spine? I'm considering picking one up for a re-ring and acid wrap. I played with the rod a while back and it looks like a fun rod for very little money but I'm not sure whether it will be economically viable to acid wrap it..... Any thoughts?

Cheers

Dave

Felix Lux

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Is the JM Sabre Game built on a spine?
July 07, 2014, 04:26:12 AM
I know it's an old thread + I have no clue about jigging compared to most members here, but I do build rods and since nobody replied, my 2 cents:

In general i don't think it's worth buying a rod of that price if you plan to rebuild, unless you're absolutely in love with the blank. You would pay about the same for a new better blank, for example (I don't know the blank - only a price guide) this one for about $160 http://www.jiggingmaster-ag.com/home/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=180%3Ajigging-master-max-100g-&catid=54%3A2010-11-16-11-20-28&Itemid=117&lang=en

Stripping a rod takes time and therefore will be charged by a rodbuilder or costs yourself time. Then you still have a few ugly marks on the blank, especially if you want a spiral wrap (different guide spacing) and have to do the most time consuming and expensive part - new guide spacing, bindings, $$$ for guides + possibly a repaint of the blank to get rid of marks left by old guides.

Out of interest - did you already go ahead with it, or possibly even got the blank in the link?

Cheers :)

Dave Huck

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 08, 2014, 05:38:06 AM
Hi Felix,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. A friend put a pink  :o acid wrapped mkII Saber Game my way so no need for a custom job.... They were so reasonably priced (and so highly recommended on various forums) that I have ordered one of each, conventional, spin and spiral.

Cheers

Dave

Felix Lux

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 10, 2014, 02:39:07 AM
Nice! Did you fish them a bit yet?
I only know the spin model from the shop and it felt amazing for the price.

Dave Huck

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 10, 2014, 05:12:14 AM
Unfortunately not yet. Will probably have to wait 'til my next trip.

Felix Lux

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
July 21, 2014, 10:05:10 AM
Hopefully you can christen the sticks soon, good luck!