Brian Richardson

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Slow Jigging
August 05, 2014, 07:50:43 PM
Well for us older folks this peaks interest.  I read somewhere about a new technique called slow jigging.  This may be similar to the yoyo technique used off So. Calif. for yellowtail???

I read where some new jig designs were coming out for this.  Can someone bring us up to speed on this technique...tackle lures etc.???

Thanks

Brian

Eric Tai

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: Slow Jigging
August 05, 2014, 10:46:55 PM
Hi Brian,

I've found this website very informative:

http://anglers-secrets.com

Mark Harris

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
August 06, 2014, 09:25:37 PM
Huge question Brian!

You will find Eric's link very helpful.

Also, do a YouTube search for videos bv BlueBlueFishing. Even though these is particular to Blue Blue jigs, there is a lot of tedschnique stuff which is applicable to slow jigging across the board.

Having completely lost interest in jigging, slow jigging has re-ignited my enthusiasm.

Brian Richardson

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
August 06, 2014, 09:41:02 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.  Yeah Mark jigging is an awful of work but the slow jigging would seen to open up the same opportunities but with less work.  Same water column same fish less strenuous technique.

Eric Tai

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 06, 2014, 11:26:17 PM
After spending hours reading through the anglers-secrets.com website I finally picked up a poisedon 603 & ocean jigger1500hg to give it a crack. It appears to be much more "technical" than regular "mechanical jigging". I haven't quite got the hang of it yet. I'm also trying to get used to an overhead without lever-wind -laying line manually is so annoying-  I think I should have got the ryoga bayjigger instead!

Clem Henry

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 07, 2014, 08:10:11 PM
I use the same setup Eric, how deep do you fish? I like the setup...I also have a Conquest 300 with a long handle which I use on that rod which has a level wind..works quite well but I actually prefer the 1500 as it has the higher retrieve rate

Brian Richardson

• Phytoplankton
  • Liked:
August 11, 2014, 08:44:49 PM
After spending hours reading through the anglers-secrets.com website I finally picked up a poisedon 603 & ocean jigger1500hg to give it a crack. It appears to be much more "technical" than regular "mechanical jigging". I haven't quite got the hang of it yet. I'm also trying to get used to an overhead without lever-wind -laying line manually is so annoying-  I think I should have got the ryoga bayjigger instead!

I think with the overhead (conventional reels) you don't need to level wind while jigging you just don't load the spool with too much line.  A narrow spool would be key to this.

Eric Tai

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 12, 2014, 04:09:23 PM
Hi Clem,

Haven't had much opportunity to slow jig yet. Tried it in 80m, but need to down size my line to pe1.5.  From memory the seriolas seemed more interested in fast-paced jigs, but it may have just been my poor  slow jigging technique!

Clem Henry

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 12, 2014, 06:46:22 PM
Eric, try heavier lures..if you don't already, the rod can actually work fairly heavy lures which helped me find a sweet spot for the right action...I have used up to 320 gram

Eric Tai

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 12, 2014, 08:57:25 PM
Yeah, will definitely keep trying with different jigs. Might need to get some of those seafloor control jigs...

Leo Sorbello

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
September 28, 2014, 08:44:17 AM
Yes, sorting out the slow falling type jigs is the key....there are some specifically made ones for this type of light jigging.

Fishing deeper water say 80 mtrs plus you'll need a slower lift/movements of rod to get those jigs on their side. With my neck and upper back problems these days, I too enjoy this type of say finesse slow jigging.

Not sure how though a 1500HG reel will handle deeper water.........I use a PG geared ratio reel and find it better  :).

Tight Lines !.

Regards
Leo