Andrew Colefax

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Yamaga Galahad light jig-which one?
August 10, 2014, 09:18:26 PM
For jigging headlands/ wrecks inside the reef in fairly shallow water (15-30m) around Cairns and Cape York targeting various trevally species, fingermark, cobia etc. Will be mated to a Stella 5000 with PE3 ~5kg drag (was running PE2 but was getting destroyed too often)

Mainly 60g class jigs up to 90g but need stopping power! Narrowed it down to the 613S or the 595S. Jig rating on the 613S spot on but worried it won't have the stopping power needed. I've been caught before with other brand rods that the ratings don't match the rods capabilities

Any insight on these rods would be greatly appreciated thanks

Christoffer Hansen

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: Yamaga Galahad light jig-which one?
August 11, 2014, 10:17:17 AM
Hi Andrew,
For pe3 it's the 613 you'll need. I have the 595 and its more a pe4 rod suited to heavier jigs than your using.
I use it with 120-200g jigs. For pe3 I'm sure you'll find the 613s has enough power.

Cheers,
Chris

Mark Gwynne

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
August 11, 2014, 07:54:48 PM
I'm keen to see how you go with this, keep is updated. I fish this area for those same fish also and have just built myself a Phenix Titan 563ML for my Stella.
I'll run a bit more drag than 5 kilos as like you say the larger ones will win all too often in the tight stuff. I still have a heavier outfit for when we get amongst the real close quarters and big fish are around.

Andrew Colefax

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 11, 2014, 09:29:45 PM
Thanks for the feedback Chris, could you offer any comparison of the 613S and the Evergreen Poseidon 602, as this is the other rod at top of my list but lack of availability has me considering other options. A good fishing buddy has this rod and is basically exactly what I'm looking for.

Hi Mark, I'm hearing you. Seem to have a unique situation up here in the tropics that the effective jig size is about 60 grams but the species/ size of fish targeted around the structure fished generally overpower most rods suited to that jig weight. I was using a 3oz. Class Majorcraft Giant Killing with PE2, nice setup but got sick of donating hardware!

On a side note, I believe we share a mutual friend in JD, lives up the hill in hippyville near me

Mark Gwynne

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
August 12, 2014, 07:14:53 PM
Nope I'm drawing a blank sorry. Full name?

Andrew Colefax

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 12, 2014, 09:45:55 PM
John dunne, I'm sure it was your fish pics he was showing me a while ago..

Mark Gwynne

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
August 13, 2014, 07:52:08 PM
Ahh Dunnney!! Small world. Tell him I said g'day. It's been a while.

Andrew Colefax

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 13, 2014, 08:38:52 PM
Yes Dunney..gearing up for his 40th in a few weeks should be huge!

Back on topic, I am a little worried that the max drag of 4kg for the 613 means it may on the light side for what I'm after. That said its hard to judge as I know with the Poseidon 602 it's only rated pe2 yet punches well above that..

Eric Tai

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
August 13, 2014, 11:17:58 PM
www.samuraitackle.com was able to source a evergreen poisedon 603 for me even though it is not listed on their website. Might be worth sending them an email if you are keen on the evergreen.