Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: New Shimano Spheros
March 13, 2007, 10:54:45 AM
Talking to Dunphy's tech this morning, the new Spheros coming out to be called Super Spheros and will use the old Silver Stella body and will be more than an upgraded Spheros putting it between the Spheros and Stella.
 He thinks the ratio will stay to suite Jigging. He said Spheros's are used a lot in WA and NZ for Jigging.
 Watched one being used on U-Tube this morning where the angler gave it plenty of stick, looked good even without the u beaut stella handle.
 I've orded my Spheros- T-C 400 comb as a boat outfit for guests [I'll be on a Stella] and will give a report when it has a good workout.

Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 10:57:40 AM by GPB
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
March 13, 2007, 01:47:29 PM
Talking to Dunphy's tech this morning, the new Spheros coming out to be called Super Spheros and will use the old Silver Stella body and will be more than an upgraded Spheros putting it between the Spheros and Stella.
 He thinks the ratio will stay to suite Jigging. He said Spheros's are used a lot in WA and NZ for Jigging.
 Watched one being used on U-Tube this morning where the angler gave it plenty of stick, looked good even without the u beaut stella handle.
 I've orded my Spheros- T-C 400 comb as a boat outfit for guests [I'll be on a Stella] and will give a report when it has a good workout.

That's some useful info Greg, thanks for updating us :)

lonhro

March 14, 2007, 12:13:47 PM
Thanks Bernie,
                     i would love for a DF to keep my Stella company but the only time that is likely to happen in the near future is if i go fishing with you and you put your DF next to my Stella. ;D ;D. On the other hand from what everyone is saying here i do like the sound of this Super Spheros but when it comes out is another thing and the price well shimano should do anything. If its a reasonable price i might get it as a second real.
One thing i am wondering is, When or why won't shimano bring out a better popping rod ??? although the
T-Curve (my joy) looks ok and performs ok, it still is nowhere as good as the diawa Rods. i realise the price difference is double but still i think shimano could release something better or equal to the Diawa Saltiga range.
Cheers Randy
ps sorry its a bit off topic

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 14, 2007, 01:03:41 PM
Randy - focus on getting out fishing instead of gear. You already have a 10000 and you don't need a Super Spheros. in fact, you'd be crazy to even think about this. You got a Stella, for God sake!

Regarding the rods, don't sell the T-Curve short. They are an excellent rod and a bargain for the money. Ian Miller did a great job for Shimano with these. I think it is a big statement to make that the T-Curve is nowhere near as good as the Daiwa (assume Saltiga) rods. On the balance, I would regard the Saltigas as a superior stick over the T-Curve but I would  not regard them as being at opposite poles.

I've got three Saltigas (want to buy one?) and while they are a good stick, ignore the marketing hype. They certainly ain't a Smith or Carpenter.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

lonhro

March 14, 2007, 04:31:17 PM
VERY true Bernie,
i just though that after i had played with both and ended up with the T-Curve there were some aspects that shimano could have fine tuned abit more. the main aspect in my option is the lure wieght that they can cast is too small. most of these poppers that i have are abit  on the better side of 100grams so its not really designed to cast them. (been practicing at the local dam).

Now something to do with this topic i just talked to the guys at Mo tackle and asked if they had heard anything about the new Spheros and one of them said he would sniff around and tell me tomorrow but all he had heard was there was a spheros that had a better anti-reverse coming out.

so that leads me to my next question i have not been fishing long so be gentle. whats the point of a better or any anti reverse i got some idea but its what i could guess not fact, so could anyone tell me.

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 14, 2007, 10:32:04 PM
you have to understand that they built the T-Curve to a price point and the success of the rod indicates they did hit that point indeed! I also wound't be worried about casting big poppers or other lures with it. The guys on Nomad use this as their standard rod for those who don't bring their own equiment and they are continuously casting those huge Heru Wahoos with them in the 150 gram size. You add on those two big Jobus 9/0s and that is an big weight.  As I wrote above, I wouldn't be worried about casting puny 100g lures!

Anti-reverse. You will find that the majority of the heavy spinning reels have what they term to be an infinite anti-reverse. What this means in the reel only goes in one direction. A lot of smaller spinning reels permit you to flick a switch and turn the anti reverse off. You can then turn the handle both clockwise and anti-clockwise.

In a lot of reel the anti-reverse is a small little piece of steel that is secured by a small screw. If ths breaks, the reel handle suddenly will start turning anti-clockwise if a fish is pulling. That is BAD news. For good quality reels, having a strong anti-reverse mechanism is important

lonhro

March 14, 2007, 11:24:26 PM
Ok kool
Thanks for that Bernie
I now understand alot better.

Thanks once again
Randy

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
March 15, 2007, 09:57:15 AM
Couldn't have explained that better myself Brandon, my views exactly.

Well done :)

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 15, 2007, 05:26:11 PM
On my last trip in mid-February off Fraser Island, the guy I was fishing with was using an Avet overhead. When he was fighting a nice fish (probably an AJ around 15 - 20kg max), I heard this loud crack and it looked really funny because he was reeling away and nothing was happening. when he took his hand off the handle, the fish suddenly ran and his handle was going anticlockwise at 100 mph.

The poor guy was horrified as he tried to continue winding away to no avail. I was really happy and I think the captain and deckie were as well because the night before, we had been talking about all the reels we had seen blow up and how happy we were when it wasn't our reel!

I'm not sure what happened but obviously, the anti-reverse went as did the drag. I understand they are replacing his reel. Boy, it looked really good!!   ;D

lonhro

March 15, 2007, 07:22:37 PM
that would suck.
makes me sick thinking about it.
so what did he do for the rest of the trip ??? reel wise

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 15, 2007, 08:27:50 PM
used a handline  :D :D

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 16, 2007, 09:51:04 AM
used a handline  :D :D

no, poor guy had to use one of their Stellas - which was what I was trying to convince him to do in the first place!

Chris Cass

April 18, 2007, 01:29:45 PM
I'm looking to get a upgraded Spheros T-C 400 Combo myself as a boat outfit [practice what I Preach] as with the Twinspin, Boss Mag665 and Cams Stella in NZ I'm only left with my [AS IN MINE] Stellas to jig with.
 Shimano [Dunphys]  are putting them out as a combo special.
 Should be alright for casual use with 70lb braid and 10-12kg of Drag,???? ??? ???
Thoughts Please :):'(.or :-\

Guys I know are getting 22kg drag out of the upgraded Spheros I believe it pulls 11kg out of the box. My local tackle shop believes that Shimano will be putting out upgraded Spheros' soon, however I don't know if it is being done at the factory or by Dunphys. You can now send your Spheros to Dunphy's and they will do the upgrade for you. I've upgraded my drag but haven't forked out for the Stella handle yet.

Cheers

Cam Foley

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
April 18, 2007, 03:14:30 PM
22kg thats awsome but how long will it last.Got one in Aus waiting for me fully up graded with stella handle [liveing in NZ] cant wait to try and hang on to 22kg and stay in the boat what are your mates catching big sambos im guessing.
AKA STELLAJIGGER
KINGFISH INTERPRETER

Chris Cass

April 21, 2007, 01:28:13 PM
22kg thats awsome but how long will it last.Got one in Aus waiting for me fully up graded with stella handle [liveing in NZ] cant wait to try and hang on to 22kg and stay in the boat what are your mates catching big sambos im guessing.

Mostly after big Kingies, thinking about saving up and heading to the land of the long white cloud for a bit of the Kingfish action over there.

Cheers