• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
New Shimano Spheros
March 09, 2007, 12:19:11 PM
There seems to be talk around that Shimano will be releasing a Spheros version specfically for jigging.

This will involve upgrades such as carbontex washers, stella handle and bushing replacement straight from the factory.

Can anybody shed some light on this new reel?
Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 09:44:38 AM by Luke Wyrsta

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
Re: New Shimano Spheros
March 09, 2007, 12:28:34 PM
Havent heard ,but sounds like the version Bluewater put out too. Maybe Dunphys have cottoned on to all the mods and are releasing from the factory a beefier version.

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
March 09, 2007, 12:34:17 PM
Havent heard ,but sounds like the version Bluewater put out too. Maybe Dunphys have cottoned on to all the mods and are releasing from the factory a beefier version.

True Andrew, however, i am also lead to believe that there will be changes to internals such as a different gear ratio. This could also mean a possible upgrade of all component quality.

Sounds like it may have been in the pipeline for a while.

Will be good to see another quality option available on the mid to low priced jigging reel market :)

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 09, 2007, 01:56:01 PM
I dont think I can get away with getting another reel so soon after the dogfighter and a penn850 as backup.

lonhro

March 10, 2007, 11:56:05 AM
WHAT
your telling me you've got a DF and a penn and you want a spheros ????
hmmmmmmmmmm
well you guys already know i guess but, when i was looking into a reel for popping heaps of people reccomended a spheros 14000 and you get the upgrade package from dunphy sports for $100 bucks which has the better washers and a bearing and the stella handle. but nothing in the likes of gears and stuff.
hmmm
this said and done if ya really want the new spheros i will get it and swap you for the DF lolololololol i wish hehe

Randy

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 10, 2007, 05:31:39 PM
well, I hope there is. It is about time that one of the big manufacturers released a reel that can handle big fish with wound up drags that doesn't cost > $1000. I know quite a number of fishos who would love to get into this type of fishing but the pricing of the equipment is prohibitive. I've had friends who were open-mouthed shocked when I told them their Saltiga GT86 or TN80 weren't much more than an entry level rod into this type of fishing. They had assumed they were the best money could buy!
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Andrew Poulos

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • Liked:
March 10, 2007, 07:41:13 PM
Randy, good try but wont be swapping the dogfighter for a spheros any time soon. The penn is the back up reel and the reel I take to areas where the crowds are dodgy or my gear isnt too close to me. I had looked at the spheros but got a bonus from work so upgraded.

lonhro

March 11, 2007, 12:52:36 AM
 ;) Oh well,
thanks squidgie, i think that is as close as i will ever get to a DF. hmmm worth the try lol.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 11, 2007, 11:18:59 AM
 The backup [penn rig] also comes in handy when you need to lend a rig or for Greenhorns on the boat with no gear,` STELLAS & DF'S FOR GOOD EXPERIANCED MATE'S ONLY'. ;)
Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 04:54:32 PM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
March 11, 2007, 06:26:05 PM
The backup [penn rig] also comes in handy when you need to lend a rig or for Greenhorns on the boat with no gear,` STELLAS & DF'S FOR GOOD EXPERIANCED MATE'S ONLY'. ;)

That's a good idea GPB.

Looks like a hefty AJ in your avatar?

Cheers,
Luke

Neil

March 12, 2007, 11:01:16 AM
G'day all

Shimano have given some indication of a new reel that will perform better than the current Spheros (even upgraded models) and cheaper than Stella. Upgrades to current Spheros don't address the surface area of the drag washers, three washers about the size of 10 cent pieces can only provide so much performance no matter what they're made of.
The reel, if it becomes a reality, should be a good thing, however, it's best to remember that you can't get Porsche performance at a Hyundai price point.

Neil

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
March 12, 2007, 01:41:10 PM
The reel, if it becomes a reality, should be a good thing, however, it's best to remember that you can't get Porsche performance at a Hyundai price point.

Neil

Very true Neil. I am just very happy that we are starting to see more options across the board available for jigging anglers.

Greg Burt

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 12, 2007, 02:27:21 PM
Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 05:07:41 PM by Greg Burt
Greg 'FFF' Burt

Brandon Khoo

• Foundation Moderator
  • Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
March 12, 2007, 09:09:35 PM
;) Oh well,
thanks squidgie, i think that is as close as i will ever get to a DF. hmmm worth the try lol.

C'mon Randy - you need to get another reel to keep that new 10000 of yours company! The Saltiga DF is an excellent reel but if you intend to really work it over, it pays to get the drag upgraded first. Neil here does an excellent job on upgrading the drag. Did my last one, in fact.

Neil, I tested it out when I was out with Damon in mid-February. Now if only I wasn't about to pass out from exhaustion when the big GT finally came along after I had been casting continuously for two hours. At least it only took a Bigfoot which I can replace. It could have been a Gamma which would have really upset me.
If it swims; I want to catch it!

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
March 13, 2007, 09:59:24 AM
Should be alright for casual use with 70lb braid and 10-12kg of Drag,???? ??? ???
Thoughts Please :):'(.or :-\

I think the Spheros is best suited to 50-65lb. Not to say you can't run 70lb on it, but i don't think it's necessary. You can easily get 10kg of drag out of the Spheros.
Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 10:00:57 AM by Luke Wyrsta