Shannon Poulton

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Partner-friendly fishing Vanuatu. 5-8 August
August 12, 2014, 03:38:45 PM
Just got back from a week in Vanuatu. This year saw me trying to plan the impossible: taking my non-fishing girlfriend on a fishing trip to the South Pacific.

Having previously traveled to Tonga, Samoa and Fiji to surf, my luck had all but run out on getting another green light without first bringing the better half along for the ride.

Trip Summary

Trip Location: Port Havannah, Efate, Vanuatu
Trip Date: August 2014
Number of days fishing: 3 full days, spaced
Charter operator: Ocean Blue
Number of anglers: 1
Rating of trip: Good

Report Details
Equipment
http://www.gtpopping.com/forum/index.php/topic,7000.0.html for spool info)
Jigging: JM Fallings Special ML + 10000 Stella PG w/JM 16000 spool
Line for both casting rods: Varivas Avani GT PE8, YGK 170lb mono
Line jigging: Saltiga Hyper PE6, YGK 130lb fluoro
Stickbaits: Carpenter Gamma & Bluefish. FCL Labo CSP 200
Poppers: Hammerhead, Nomad Cubera, FCL Ebipop
Jigs: Maria, Jigging Master

Location and terrain
Monday August 4
Tuesday August 5

On the water @ 8am and off to the NE to some of the shallow fringing reefs to look for a GT.  A few bass enquires, before a change of position. First hook-up was a smaller fish and our guide Stefan tried to get my girlfriend into a GT, but alas it came off. Next cast was a pack attack from four fish, with a much much larger fish grabbing a Hammerhead E Cup.

Was fishing a popper on the 8000 combo and got the fish moving towards the boat, then around the bow, then a bit more pressure to try and budge it up. In only 15m of water the estimated 35kg then ploughed through the bottom earning an early release and the donation of one Hammerhead, making very short work of the 170lb leader.

Thought it was going to be on after this, but was the last of the topwater action to be seen for the day. Shifted to jigging a nearby seamount for no result, before moving to one of the FADs on the way back in late in the day. Caught a nice Dolphinfish as a consolation, and dinner, in rapidly deteriorating conditions.

Wednesday August 6
Thursday August 7

Replacement boat in the water and off I went solo. Raised four GTs in the morning, but only had the one hookup on a small, but fit fish. Tried to find a dogtooth in the afternoon, but only managed a Jobfish on jig.

Friday August 8
Saturday August 9

Left Trees and Fishes and spent the night in Vila at The Terraces. Very nice apartments if anyone is ever looking for accommodation in town.

Sunday August 10

Traveled home. Stung again by Virgin for the rod tube, $112 AUD on the return.

Overall assessment of the trip

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Great report mate.
Seems like you had a great time even though yhe weather was not on your side.
Ill be there in Feb with a gew mates so will be referring to your report many times until then

Cheers,

Chris

Dan Colebrook

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Thanks for detailed report.
Finding a partner friendly fishing expedition is something that appeals to my situation so thanks for highlighting some of those aspects mate. 
Also a question on the swb14000 spool used on the sw10000 did the drag knob fit/work ok?
I have a swb14000 spool that i haven't fitted to my sw10000 as i don't have the spacers yet and the drag knob recess looks very different.

Thanks
Dan

Shannon Poulton

• Fusilier
  • Liked:

Also a question on the swb14000 spool used on the sw10000 did the drag knob fit/work ok?

Yep, no problem at all

Dan Colebrook

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Thanks  :)

Gerhard Delport

• Fusilier
  • Spinaholic
  • Liked:
Thanks for the report and photos...

Its now less than 30 days to go for my trip to Ocean Blue... ;D

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Thanks for the report and photos...

Its now less than 30 days to go for my trip to Ocean Blue... ;D

Keen to hear how you go Gerhard Delport ill be there in Feb.
What trip are you doing?

Chris