• Fusilier
  • Spinaholic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Carry on bag
September 03, 2014, 02:02:56 AM

Great info thank you Sami,

Thanks for the list Sami

Could you please list what terminal tackle, spare spools, spare braid and leaders etc you take.

Dave, Sorry i have no intention to hijack your thread :)
Hi Graig,
I normally take 2 spare spool, 1 for an 18000 and the other for a 20000,
since I use Hollow on all my popping reels i take a spool of Hollow line in case of a breakage and i can splice it if needed.
variety of Split rings ranging from 100lb to 400lb,
quality Ball Bearing Swivel such as the Owner TSS-54 for casting and the TSS-51 for jigging, all organized in Meiho Versus box
Variety of Shout Kudako hooks,
Shout PR Knot bobbing as i use the PR Knot for jigging and it never failed me through all the years of fishing. 
Fluorocarbon leader for jigging ranging from 80lb to 170lb depend on the terrain and species.
Nylon Shock leader in 80lb, 150lb, 220lb and 300lb
this variety allows me to cover all rods in my possession from PE5 to PE10 but anglers need to adjust to what they have and what they intend to use in terms of rods, also target species and size need to be taking into consideration when packing.

Tight lines
    Sami

Craig Maree

• Red Bass
  • Release the GT
  • Liked:
September 03, 2014, 03:19:44 AM
Thanks Sami

I really need to practice packing restraint as I always take way to much ( about 30 poppers and 30 stickbaits or so) but end up only really using a handful and promise myself that on the next trip I am going to reduce the load but always find it difficult.

Next time I promise!
Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 02:59:33 PM by Craig Maree
Atoll Hunter GT Popping
www.facebook.com/atollhunter

Dan Hanon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 03, 2014, 02:24:57 PM
Gerhard,

I use a Kelty backpack as my carry-on.  It holds loads of gear: reels, camera, lenses, lures (without hooks), books, whatever I want, no problem!  Plus, its a backpack, so you can wear it while commuting through airports, or just sling it over a shoulder.  http://www.kelty.com/search.aspx?SearchTerm=Redwing
Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 02:34:01 PM by Dan Hanon

Gerhard Delport

• Fusilier
  • Spinaholic
  • Liked:
September 12, 2014, 02:33:45 AM
So flying out of Dammam airport in Saudi on Tuesday night customs decided that reels without spools are not allowed to fly as carry on luggage as it can be used as a hammer/weapon... >:(

Did not help trying to argue with the customs officers and had to get the small carry on trolley bag checked in.

Dont know why the change as end of July I flew out to Singapore from Dammam and back with no issues.
The previous flights going to SA and back earlier the year also no problems.

Planning to take 4 spinning reels with out spools in my carry on back pack and really hope I dont have the same problems with the trip tomorrow night to Vanuatu.

Has someone here had the same issue where customs do not want the reels to be taken on as carry on?

Dave Huck

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 12, 2014, 04:08:01 AM
Sorry to hear you had grief. It's a total lottery.... I had some travel bottles confiscated at Heathrow recently because, in spite of being sold as air travel toiletries bottles, they didn't have a label stating they were 100ml.....

Quite amusing that your lot have had their security minister taken out by a "reformed" terrorist with a stomach cavity packed with explosives but won't allow a fishing reel through security....

Gerhard Delport

• Fusilier
  • Spinaholic
  • Liked:
September 12, 2014, 12:13:19 PM
Sorry to hear you had grief. It's a total lottery.... I had some travel bottles confiscated at Heathrow recently because, in spite of being sold as air travel toiletries bottles, they didn't have a label stating they were 100ml.....

Quite amusing that your lot have had their security minister taken out by a "reformed" terrorist with a stomach cavity packed with explosives but won't allow a fishing reel through security....

To be honest...

My suspicion is that they thought I am an American and that they would give me a hard time because they can.

Happens quite a lot in Saudi until they hear I am from South Africa.

Then its all smiles.

Its just part of the fun working in the region...  ;)

Saltywater Tackle

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • SAMI, PAUL & RAYMOND
  • Liked:
September 12, 2014, 01:13:05 PM
So flying out of Dammam airport in Saudi on Tuesday night customs decided that reels without spools are not allowed to fly as carry on luggage as it can be used as a hammer/weapon... >:(

Did not help trying to argue with the customs officers and had to get the small carry on trolley bag checked in.

Dont know why the change as end of July I flew out to Singapore from Dammam and back with no issues.
The previous flights going to SA and back earlier the year also no problems.

Planning to take 4 spinning reels with out spools in my carry on back pack and really hope I dont have the same problems with the trip tomorrow night to Vanuatu.

Has someone here had the same issue where customs do not want the reels to be taken on as carry on?

Hi Gerhard,

I ran into the same problem over a year ago when i was taking the flight from Beirut Airport to Dubai,
the security guy did not allow me to take the reel as a carry on, I tried to explain that the spool and the line are in the luggage but he insisted that the reel need to be checked in with the luggage , he end up calling one of Emirates representative that took me aside smiled at my face and let me go, after that incident I check in all my reels in the luggage..

Tight lines
     Sami

Gerhard Delport

• Fusilier
  • Spinaholic
  • Liked:
September 12, 2014, 01:24:38 PM
Thanks Sami,

I am worried about damage to the spinning reels in side the check in duffle bag.
The fly reels and over head jigging reels should be fine.

The spinning also weigh a bit.

As this is my 1st major fishing trip I would prefer taking extra lures and terminal tackle.

Two places that I will check in luggage is Johannesburg onto Emirates and Sydney onto Air Vanuatu.

Byron Ford

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 12, 2014, 04:52:05 PM
I always pack reels in check in, I'd rather be safe then sorry. As most trips take a lot of pre planning last thing I need after the amount off money and planning is to be reel less when I land, I put reels in a  large Tupperware box for extra protection, it adds a little extra size to my bag but For piece of mind for reel safety

One tip that I've started to do on my last 2 trips is pack my rod case in a surf board cover and then put all my clothes/shoes and anything that I'm not worried about getting smashed stuffed in, as my rod case Full comes to about 11-13kg max. As most flights work on a bag limit as well as weight the extra 10kg in clothing means I can load my other check in bag strictly with reels and tackle.

My carry on is then used for camera/go pros and anything else I'm worried about  getting damaged or can't fit in the surfboard, I find this packing system to work perfectly for me now.

Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 10:27:18 PM by byron ford

Mahmoud Salem

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 14, 2014, 12:01:40 AM
Gerhard,

I use a Kelty backpack as my carry-on.  It holds loads of gear: reels, camera, lenses, lures (without hooks), books, whatever I want, no problem!  Plus, its a backpack, so you can wear it while commuting through airports, or just sling it over a shoulder.  http://www.kelty.com/search.aspx?SearchTerm=Redwing

Looks like a nice bag Dan, which size do you use?

Mahmoud Salem

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 14, 2014, 12:07:20 AM

Hi Gerhard,

I ran into the same problem over a year ago when i was taking the flight from Beirut Airport to Dubai,
the security guy did not allow me to take the reel as a carry on, I tried to explain that the spool and the line are in the luggage but he insisted that the reel need to be checked in with the luggage , he end up calling one of Emirates representative that took me aside smiled at my face and let me go, after that incident I check in all my reels in the luggage..

Tight lines
     Sami
[/quote]

Well your reply, together with other similar replies of anglers checking in their reels did concern me Sami
Especially that I had incidents with other things that got broken or even taken from the bags, this wasn't recently, but I'll have a heart attack if that heppens to my Stella!!
One year ago most people said it is better to keep them as carry on(without line) and that they rarely have problems with that
Now I can see many checking the reels
I traveled with reels only once and I had no problem, That is really one tough decision

Gerhard Delport

• Fusilier
  • Spinaholic
  • Liked:
September 16, 2014, 01:18:39 AM
Guys,

Just an update.

i have taken my spinning reels as carry on.

johannesburg - Dubai - Sydney- Vanuatu

No issues at any of the customs.

Chris Webster

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
September 16, 2014, 05:21:41 PM
Has anyone considered the Shimano Tropical bags?
Would be good for both carry on and deck bag i guess.

CW

Craig Maree

• Red Bass
  • Release the GT
  • Liked:
September 25, 2014, 11:04:31 PM
Gerhard you back yet how did the trip go?
Atoll Hunter GT Popping
www.facebook.com/atollhunter

Gerhard Delport

• Fusilier
  • Spinaholic
  • Liked:
September 26, 2014, 01:22:53 PM
Gerhard you back yet how did the trip go?

The trip was amazing.
Still trying to adjust to the 9 time zones on the body clock.

Round trip was roughly 40 000km.

The only bummer of the trip is the GT's had lock jaw and the ones I did get to hit the popper or stickbait did not get pinned.

The Doggies also had their challenges.

I will go back at the drop of an hat and the planning for the next trip has started....