Arnout Weber

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
new reel for jigging
September 29, 2014, 04:01:49 AM
Goodevening,

I am planing to buy a new reel for jigging.

Specialy for jigging for DT and GT. At the moment i have a Saltiga Z6000 and a Stella SW 08 10000.
My ideas are a Saltiga 6000 or a Stella 20000. I will use it on a RF 5215. When i read the specifications of
both reels the Stella can carry more line. But do you really need more as 300m PE 6?

What are your ideas?

Best regards,

Arnout

Mahmoud Salem

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Re: new reel for jigging
September 29, 2014, 03:49:49 PM
It depends on the size of fish you target and the depth/structure
Although I haven't fished this rod, but it is rated for pe8, so if you use a Stella 20k, you can put 350m of pe8, I highly doubt any of these species will ever require more than that.
Using pe8 will give you the edge of putting more drag on the fish to limit its run than pe6, but again, unless there is fish worth pe8, enjoy the the lighetr setup.

Arnout Weber

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 30, 2014, 07:39:34 AM
Hello Mahmoud,

I know this rod is rated for PE8. But how strict do you have to take that. The idea was to use PE6 on it.
350 of line should be enough i think for most fish. Maybe if you target Giant Bluefin you need more. But my idea is also when you fish near reefs or drop offs
with a dept around 100m where do you let the fish go to? How farder a way it is how lesser you can control it.

I agree with you that with lighter tackle it can be funnier. But i personnel have the idea that when you fish with a little bit hazier tackle you can catch the fish faster
with more chance for the fish to survive ( avoiding lossing fish with a lure in the mouth or taxed by sharks.

Best regards,

Arnout.

Mahmoud Salem

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
September 30, 2014, 11:39:15 PM
What size doggies/GTs are you expecting Arnout?

Arnout Weber

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 01, 2014, 04:34:21 AM
I hope anything between 35 and 80 kg.

Mahmoud Salem

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 01, 2014, 03:48:46 PM
The bigger ones definitely deserve pe8
You can use the rod with lighter line, but why use a rod with a lot of lift power if you cant apply enough drag to lift the fish, in this case most of your lift will just be line taken by the fish

Arnout Weber

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 02, 2014, 04:30:58 AM
Hello mahmoud,

I have the idea that you wand to tell me that in your opinion the rod is to heavy
to have fun with mid side fish ( 25 - 50 kg).

I also have a valley hill deepquaker with jig weight between 200 and 300 gr.
i wand a second rod for jigs between 250 and 350 gr.

Best regards,

Arnout.

Saltywater Tackle

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • SAMI, PAUL & RAYMOND
  • Liked:
October 02, 2014, 05:53:36 AM
Goodevening,

But do you really need more as 300m PE 6?
What are your ideas?
Best regards,

Arnout

Arnout,

Dogtooth tuna can dump 200 meter in less than a minute and you can't do anything about it, you will look and pray that he will make a mistake and stop.
Most Doggies shoot to the deepwater and to the drop off once they are hooked so line capacity is something to look for and take into consideration when targeting Dogtooth tuna,
Many guys actually prefer the usage of PE6 just for the line capacity.

Tight lines
  Sami

Arnout Weber

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 02, 2014, 07:13:38 AM
Sammi,

How many meters of line do you put on a reel?
I ask this because for example varivas has got spools of 300 and 600m.

I also wondering how strict i have to take the rating PE8 for the 5215.
Isn,t it comfortable with PE6. In the past i have seen it with Biggame fishing, a lot of
boats used 80lbs rods with 130 line for example ( that,s what they told).

I am still not convinced about which reel it,s going to be. I have 2 Stella 08 and i like the 8000 for the way i use it.
And the 10000 for jigging. But for me personally it is to small or i don,t know what. The saltiga z6000 feels OK to me.

Well i have got stil 4,5 months to think about it for my next trip.

Best regards,

Arnout

Saltywater Tackle

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • SAMI, PAUL & RAYMOND
  • Liked:
October 02, 2014, 09:05:13 AM
Sammi,
How many meters of line do you put on a reel?
I ask this because for example varivas has got spools of 300 and 600m.
I also wondering how strict i have to take the rating PE8 for the 5215.
Isn,t it comfortable with PE6. In the past i have seen it with Biggame fishing, a lot of
boats used 80lbs rods with 130 line for example ( that,s what they told).
I am still not convinced about which reel it,s going to be. I have 2 Stella 08 and i like the 8000 for the way i use it.
And the 10000 for jigging. But for me personally it is to small or i don,t know what. The saltiga z6000 feels OK to me.
Well i have got stil 4,5 months to think about it for my next trip.

Best regards,

Arnout

Hi Arnout,

I prefer to have a minimum of 350 meters of line when targeting Doggies, your PE6 line should be fine but I personally prefer to use PE8 :)
As for the reel i guess i am not the right guy to comment on, I am a Shimano Guy and a bit fanatic about it  :D
but a 20000 size reel is the way to go even if you intend to use PE6 line, what work for me personally might not work for others...

Tight lines
   Sami

Arnout Weber

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 03, 2014, 07:02:06 AM
hello sammi,

i think i keep it by PE8. it is the rod recomention and a bit extra power is not bad i always say.
I will think about the reel and make a choice.

best regards,

arnout

Peter Childs

• Bluefin Tuna
  • If it moves......cast at it!
  • Liked:
October 05, 2014, 09:39:02 AM
Armout, I use a Saltiga 6500 for doggies loaded with high quality PE6 it is amazing how much pressure you can apply with PE6 over a jig outfit (next time you reef your jig - try busting it off without driving the boat off it).

I started off with PE8, but found (like many others) that stronger currents and drift rates play havoc jigging with the Pe8.  I'd suggest starting out with PE6 and only change up if you start getting regularly dusted. 300 plus should be more than adequate for most situations.