Craig Maree

• Red Bass
  • Release the GT
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Advice on land based GT rod
October 17, 2014, 03:40:37 AM
Gerhard you had any chance to cast the BH on the soccer field?
Atoll Hunter GT Popping
www.facebook.com/atollhunter

Gerhard Delport

• Fusilier
  • Spinaholic
  • Liked:
October 17, 2014, 03:46:07 AM
Nope,

Will be hunting fish in the morning from the bricks.

The Exage and the Trini 16 will also get a chance with a plug or spoon

Anton Haakman

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 17, 2014, 04:27:07 AM
The Tranx could be a winner. From what I have heard the internals are very similar to the Trini A series with the added benefit of the level wind.

The MC works outcasts the GC5's that I have had built for spinning reels. It may sound strange but for casting distance I find a big difference between 9ft6 and 10ft. The MC Works is rated to 11 kg drag and my guess is that drag capability of the GC 5 would be fairly similar.

I saw the new Assasin Sierra rod today. Very nice rod. It should handle fish in the lower end of your range with ease. It is 11 ft which I personally find a little long but this rod will cast miles. The construction of this rod is as good as rods double or triple it's price. I really is a nice looking piece of kit.

I will be very keen to hear your results with the Tranx.

Gerhard Delport

• Fusilier
  • Spinaholic
  • Liked:
October 17, 2014, 06:08:15 PM
The GT Ice cream 3oz with a Trini 16 loaded with 30lbs tuff line, on a 11Ft Shimano Exage is an absolute beautiful match casting into the wind from the bricks....

The queenfish was happy to grab the plug ...

Felix Lux

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 17, 2014, 06:13:49 PM
Very nice Gerhard!

I have a few questions regarding your setup please:

How does the thin 30lb braid go? No problems getting your thumb burned or problems with overruns? Do you get the same distance as with say 20lb mono?

Thank you mate! :)

Gerhard Delport

• Fusilier
  • Spinaholic
  • Liked:
October 18, 2014, 10:46:21 PM
Very nice Gerhard!

I have a few questions regarding your setup please:

How does the thin 30lb braid go? No problems getting your thumb burned or problems with overruns? Do you get the same distance as with say 20lb mono?

Thank you mate! :)

I definatley out cast my spinning reel setups when it comes to casting into the wind like it was yesterday.
The Tuff Line casts great but I would load up on 50lb Power Pro when its time for new braid.
No issues with thumb burns and if you set the weight on the Trini correctly there is no over runs over winds...

The setup did very well with 80g spoons as well.
The reel is fast enough to keep a plug on the surface or a spoon going at speed just under the surface without many issues...

You will not be able to put the same power into a cast with a 3-4oz with 20lb mono...

Here is the video clip of the fight...

Felix Lux

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 20, 2014, 01:49:14 PM
Thank you. I've never tried casting braid on OH gear...would love say 10m of mono and the rest braid, to have the perfect balance between stretch and hookset.

Do you need less or more braking when using braid?

Sorry the questions might be very basic, but here in Australia all people casting with OH gear for tuna, mackerel etc. use mono. Which I found has a few big disadvantages (also advantages of course), compared to spinning reel setups.

PS: Great video, music is not what you'd expect on a fishing video, but pretty cool somehow.

Gerhard Delport

• Fusilier
  • Spinaholic
  • Liked:
October 20, 2014, 04:13:41 PM
Thanks for the comments on the video.

I have a leader double the rod length with a couple of turns left on the reel.

I use a PR Knot and for someone who hates casting with a knot running trough the gides the PR knot is perfect, you dont feel or hear it hitting the giudes during the cast.

You will have problems casting with braid if you have an birds nest during the cast.

Because of the power you put into the rod the braid will snap (30lbs) if you have a brids nest.

You need to be a provisioned overhead caster before going to braid on the reel.
Then you need to ensure the reel is set for each lure to prevent a birds nest.

I am casting for Queenfish and Mackerels from the rocks but I will enjoy getting to target tuna or Gt's with this setup as well...

Craig Maree

• Red Bass
  • Release the GT
  • Liked:
October 21, 2014, 12:38:03 AM
Which setup do you cast further the Trini overheard setup or the BH spinning setup with the 150 Cubera?
Atoll Hunter GT Popping

Gerhard Delport

• Fusilier
  • Spinaholic
  • Liked:
October 21, 2014, 12:45:46 AM
Which setup do you cast further the Trini overheard setup or the BH spinning setup with the 150 Cubera?

I have to cast them side by side on a soccer field.

I am getting ready for a business trip to Singapore, might not be able to test it before I fly.

Also its difficult to compare as its 30lb tuff line on the OH with 100lb on the spinning reel.

I would like to try and pop a popper with the OH to see how it works...

Craig Maree

• Red Bass
  • Release the GT
  • Liked:
October 21, 2014, 04:23:06 AM
From your judgement from casting both setups which do you think you getting more distance on?

The BH spinnng setup with 150 Cubera or the Trini OH setup with the 3oz GT ice cream?
Atoll Hunter GT Popping

Gerhard Delport

• Fusilier
  • Spinaholic
  • Liked:
October 21, 2014, 04:49:44 AM
From your judgement from casting both setups which do you think you getting more distance on?

The BH spinnng setup with 150 Cubera or the Trini OH setup with the 3oz GT ice cream?

Craig,

It looks like I might get to fish on Friday and fly on Saturday.

I will take both the rods and cast ...

I will ask the guys who fish with me to judge what setup gets the most distance but I suspect it will be the OH.

I will use the Stella 10K with JB Hollow 60lb on the BH 106 H to cast the Cubera and compare...

Craig Maree

• Red Bass
  • Release the GT
  • Liked:
October 21, 2014, 02:23:55 PM
Thanks Gerhard
Atoll Hunter GT Popping

Felix Lux

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
October 21, 2014, 03:47:03 PM
Thanks for the comments on the video.

I have a leader double the rod length with a couple of turns left on the reel.

I use a PR Knot and for someone who hates casting with a knot running trough the gides the PR knot is perfect, you dont feel or hear it hitting the giudes during the cast.

You will have problems casting with braid if you have an birds nest during the cast.

Because of the power you put into the rod the braid will snap (30lbs) if you have a brids nest.

You need to be a provisioned overhead caster before going to braid on the reel.
Then you need to ensure the reel is set for each lure to prevent a birds nest.

I am casting for Queenfish and Mackerels from the rocks but I will enjoy getting to target tuna or Gt's with this setup as well...

Thank you!

I'm ok in OH casting, but definitely wouldn't say good. Still regularly get light to medium bad overruns when giving it a hard 95-100% cast. So I'll better put another 100 hours of practise in, before I try braid.

Would you say 30-50lb braid casts further than 20lb mono?
And would you think 40lb JB hollow is a good option, or does it not cast as well on OH gear? You could get an even slimmer and stronger connection inserting 40-50lb leader directly into the hollow, then serving the splice (tried that myself on spin gear) + use a heavier bite leader if desired, similar to Nathan's GT setup. You could also just splice a new section of line, if you loose too much or damage some line.

Gerhard Delport

• Fusilier
  • Spinaholic
  • Liked:
October 21, 2014, 08:23:07 PM
Felix,

Start casting a plug and spoon with the OH gear and you will soon have enough casting practise... lol

You can not compare 20lb mono with 30lb braid.

Braid will win everytine.

If I could choose...

I would probably load with 60lb JB Hollow and splice in a 10m 100lb JH Hollow "leader" and then a nylon leader of roughly double the length of the rod.

This would give you all the power and line capacity to handle some big fish on the OH gear...

But you need to determine what species and size fish you will be targeting.

If its fish like queen's and spanish mackerel i would go 40lb with 80lb leader in JB Hollow.

The seceret is to have a balanced outfit for what you want to target.

Hope this helps.