Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Achieving Maximum Casting Distance.
June 25, 2008, 08:28:04 PM
I may be miss understanding here luke, when you say a faster action you mean um... more whippy and flexible towards the tip of the rod ??? And the slower action is a rod which is a lot more stiff right to the end ???

I think I will definitely have to take a trip to the beach and practice.

Cheers

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
June 25, 2008, 08:32:13 PM
I may be miss understanding here luke, when you say a faster action you mean um... more whippy and flexible towards the tip of the rod ??? And the slower action is a rod which is a lot more stiff right to the end ???

I think I will definitely have to take a trip to the beach and practice.

Cheers

Hi Warwik,

Fast Action: there is minimal bending of the rod. I like to remember this by imagining that when you apply load to the rod, because it does not bend as much it is FASTER to return to it's original state = fast action.

Slow Action: there is more bending of the rod than a fast action. I like to remember this by imagining that when you apply load to the rod, because it bends MORE, it takes longer to return to it's original state than a faster action rod = slow action.

Hope that helps, and clarifies my comments a bit better.

Warwick Joyce

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
June 26, 2008, 08:08:14 PM
Ahhh i see now  :D  it does make more sense what you are saying now, I had it backwards there. Though with the faster action i did think that they were the better for casting due to the tip not whipping around after the initial cast causing a bunching effect in the line between the eyelets. but maybe that theory only adapts for much lighter rods and lures.
So Luke you are saying that the faster action is not as good to cast because the rod does not load up as far down the length as compared to a slower action.

now that i know about rods i can go back to casting :D

Cheers

Luke Wyrsta

• Administrator
  • Giant Trevally
  • GTPopping.com Founder
  • GT Monster
  • Liked:
June 26, 2008, 08:14:35 PM
Ahhh i see now  :D  it does make more sense what you are saying now, I had it backwards there. Though with the faster action i did think that they were the better for casting due to the tip not whipping around after the initial cast causing a bunching effect in the line between the eyelets. but maybe that theory only adapts for much lighter rods and lures.
So Luke you are saying that the faster action is not as good to cast because the rod does not load up as far down the length as compared to a slower action.

now that i know about rods i can go back to casting :D

Cheers

Hi Warwick,

Yes, that is correct. The further that your rod travels in an arc during the cast, as is inherent with a slower action, you will have significantly more tip deflection (adding further to the arch) therefore resulting in further distance achieved than that of a faster action rod.

So in summary, with all things being equal, you will achieve further distance with a slow action rather than a fast action.

Jon Li

• Giant Trevally
  • Liked:
June 27, 2008, 11:27:06 AM
Hi guys ,

Longer rod will outcast shorter rod , faster actioned rod will be produce more accurate cast than slow action rod . Other factors are thickness of leader going thru those guides and streamlined knot between the PE line n the leader as well as the thickness of the PE line itself and not too mention certain lures cast better than others .

Jon . 
It's not what you don't know that gets you into trouble , it's what you know for sure that ain't so . Mark Twain .

Aaron Concord

July 12, 2008, 04:31:07 PM
One thing I have seen is a major problem for anglers new to this type of fishing not learn more than one way to propel a lure.
Overhead may be great in an open boat and a full casting platform to have as your working area, though seldom is the case!
Charter vessels & private vessels with 2,3 or more anglers may end up with a couple right handers and a lefty, which means that you can't just all rotate in an anticlock-wise manner to cast from a game boat's stern etc.
Learning to cast with a sideways swing out to the right for right handers and vise-versa for lefties in invaluable.
As is being able to propel a cast from the 'wrong side' by levering the butt of your rod against your belly or pelvis and punching the cast 'against your grain' so to speak. Even if is't a 40-50m cast, your may still be fishing!
Going down the park and learning to 'ping' 90+ metres with NO one to hinder you isn't a real world test for when you are on the water.
By learning several other methods, it works different muscles as well, so it helps even out the load on the body during a big day/week of casting.
I can also suggest that whatever is your max, don't step to the plate expecting to do this from dawmn till dusk for a 7 day trip...learn where you're comfort zone is...it may be at 60m...though all day, every day.
A cast of 90m on ultrafast PE 8+ line and large popper is massive when you are on the water....and don't be suprised if a tossing boat knocks off 20-30%!
Practice!!! I've been using fast to ultra fast spin gear for 19 years & have the rotator cuff damage to back it!!!! ;D