Shannon Poulton

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
PE10 Pop. Smith, Race Point, Carpenter, other?
November 28, 2014, 11:30:23 PM
G'day

Keen for some further thoughts on acquiring a new PE10 popping rod.

Like most of the internet, I've read Brandon's excellent 'Guide to buying a GT rod', but am looking for ideas specifically around a popping rod that is a step up from the Smith 77 Keyolhu (that I have) in terms of handling popper size. I find that the Smith is great as a versatile PE 6-8 rod and I've used it with Poppers up to the 150g mark.

Having recently seen first-hand how effective poppers can be (and being smoked), I'm in the market for that next rod. I have a TBL also to cover stickbait applications, so versatility isn't needed.

Residing in South Australia I really only have access to Smith rods locally (Komodo D etc). Having seen plenty of recent Race Point captures online, how does the KD compare to a Saltywater Race Point 250 or 300 (I've never held or seen a Race Point rod)?

Alternatively I could go down the Carpenter 79XH route when production comes around next year, but also open to suggestions. And yes, I'm 6'1'' and 90kg, so can handle a rod.

Cheers, S

Felix Lux

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
I personally only was able to play with the RP 200 (or was it 250??) and it's definitely more of an allrounder, not a designated popping rod. I'd assume the 250 is the same. Absolutely no idea about the 300. Maybe it's a good idea to message Sami/Saltywater to get a good idea.

Felix Lux

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
PS: And Trevor Skinner! :)

Trevor Skinner

• Bluefin Tuna
  • Liked:
Felix,

In truth, I admire Race Points but am very happy with my Carpenters.

Sami's the man but I can confirm that if you want to fish hard for big fish and you're capable of doing that then the Race Point rods are up their with the best. He also has a lot of experience with Smith rods so any comparison he makes will be valuable.

Regards,

Trev

Mark Gwynne

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
What size poppers are suited to the Race point 250? Sorry to hijack the thread but this is valuable to me as well as I am considering something similar to build myself.

Dan Hanon

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
There's the new PE10 Ripple Fisher Final Spirit GT 80XH nano coming out in 2015 too.

Saltywater Tackle

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • SAMI, PAUL & RAYMOND
  • Liked:
What size poppers are suited to the Race point 250? Sorry to hijack the thread but this is valuable to me as well as I am considering something similar to build myself.

Hi Mark,
You can use poppers for up to 200g without a problem and still load the rod properly however the 170g to 180g will be an ideal weight  ;).

Tight lines
    Sami

Mark Gwynne

• Red Bass
  • Liked:
Which Race Point is best suited to the 120 gram range?

Tom McCafferty

• Fusilier
  • Liked:
Hots Gipang 75XXH.  One of the most underrated GT popping rods on the market

Saltywater Tackle

• Dogtooth Tuna
  • SAMI, PAUL & RAYMOND
  • Liked:
Which Race Point is best suited to the 120 gram range?

Hi Mark,
I suggest you the Race Point 200 for that application.

Tight lines
     Sami